Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
That's one of my clients, was just there a few months ago.

A little weird, all things considered. This appeared to be over tenure? Geez…

There are several other articles floating about that were discussing how she liked to voice her discontent at the university administrators for various reasons.

Still, since she's a woman, I expect some psych defense to come up in fairly short order.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Also, as it turns out, she also killed her brother in MA back in 86, but the police files are nowhere to be found:

BRAINTREE, Mass. (AP) - Police say a University of Alabama professor accused of fatally shooting three colleagues at a faculty meeting this week shot her younger brother dead in Massachusetts more than 20 years ago - but records of it are missing.
Police Chief Paul Frazier says Amy Bishop shot her brother in the chest in 1986 in the Boston suburb Braintree. He says Seth Bishop's shooting was logged as an accident but detailed records of it have disappeared.
Frazier says people who worked for the police department then remember the incident. He says before Amy Bishop could be booked the police chief back then told officers to release her to her mother.

Link

Curiouser and curiouser.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Turns out she was also suspected but never charged in an attempted mail bombing in Massachusetts.

Boston.com is reporting this afternoon that Amy Bishop, held in the slayings of three and the wounding of three on Friday at the University of Alabama Huntsville, was suspected but never charged in a 1993 attempted mail bombing of a Harvard Medical School professor.

The Boston Globe web site says Amy Bishop and her husband, James Anderson, were questioned and the home they shared searched after a package containing two bombs was sent to the home of a professor and doctor at Boston's Children's Hospital.

My alma mater, for what it's worth, though all the people involved in the shooting are well after my time.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Turns out she was also suspected but never charged in an attempted mail bombing in Massachusetts.

My alma mater, for what it's worth, though all the people involved in the shooting are well after my time.

I was just about to post that.

During a search of Bishop's computer, authorities found a draft of a novel that Bishop was writing about a female scientist who had killed her brother and was hoping to make amends by becoming a great scientist, according to a person who was briefed on the investigation and spoke to the Globe on the condition of anonymity.
Wonder where she got that idea...

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Incidentally, the conclusion that this was over denial of tenure seems to have been premature. UAH has said her tenure denial happened last April and rejection of her appeal was settled months ago.

In that case it is still unknown what this actually was about, though given the personal history being assembled in the media it seems like it may simply have been crazytime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.