PDA

View Full Version : What to do with an extra G3?

Wilson
Aug 27, 2004, 02:47 PM
An old G3 Blue and White Yosmite was given to me recently and I'm not sure what I can do with it. I currently have a G5 dual 2.0 and I was thinking of using the G3 as a backup drive or something. My workplace was going to throw it out so I just took it back home with me.

Are there other things you would do if you had an extra G3 Blue and White lying around?

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

emw
Aug 27, 2004, 02:59 PM
- iTunes server

- spare parts

- give to charity

- give to family member

- set up to run home automation system

- use to finally transfer all those things you have stored on "floppy" to your new system

Edit: sell to this guy (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=86396) or this guy (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=86039)

kant
Aug 27, 2004, 03:37 PM
...had an extra G3 Blue and White lying around?

Send it to me and I'll think of something. :D

pedropete
Aug 27, 2004, 04:18 PM
Ummmm, ebay it?

kgarner
Aug 27, 2004, 04:23 PM
Load it up with hard drives and use it for a file server or an iTunes server. If you go with the iTunes thing, look into adding Bluetooth adn getting a Bluetooth phone and Salling Clicker. The coolness factor is off the charts adn you can just keep it stashed away and out of sight.

Dreadnought
Aug 27, 2004, 06:37 PM
Well, you can use it instead of your stereo and TV/DVD player. Hook it up to your stereo receiver and let iTunes do the rest, furthermore, hook up a nice display and you can watch DVD's on it, hook up an external TV tuner and wacht tv from it. The digital hub!

also, still want an old G3 Imac for my kitchen with filemaker on it for a cookbook! all my recipies in filemaker.

Just some ideas.

applemacdude
Aug 27, 2004, 06:49 PM
give it to your special friend Applemacdude

seamuskrat
Aug 27, 2004, 08:41 PM
If you are a parent, or know one, you can donate it to a classroom. Often, classrooms could use computers, especially if an adult is able to check up on it every few months.
You could get a Mac into the classroom, and help boost awareness amongst the kids about Macs.

Something as simple as a music server in the classroom for audibooks, or connected to do library searches is a the teacher needs in most cases. Your old B&W would be perfect.

An old G3 Blue and White Yosmite was given to me recently and I'm not sure what I can do with it. I currently have a G5 dual 2.0 and I was thinking of using the G3 as a backup drive or something. My workplace was going to throw it out so I just took it back home with me.

Are there other things you would do if you had an extra G3 Blue and White lying around?

Apple Hobo
Aug 27, 2004, 09:17 PM
I recently gave a 300MHz Blue & White G3 tower to my uncle. It's still a very capable machine for Web, e-mail, word processing, iTunes, etc. It had OS X and 384MB RAM.

You could strip it down and put Darwin OS on it (or Linux). You could use it as a Folding/SETI cruncher.

Or you could blow it up with dynamite and put the film on the internet...just kidding! :D

Duff-Man
Aug 27, 2004, 10:30 PM
Duff-Man says...as I have said in other threads like this, I am all for the charitable donation thing - I've done that several times with my "old" Mac's and it sure is appreciated...(and I like the tax deduction I get!)....oh yeah!

Mudbug
Aug 27, 2004, 10:49 PM
I have the best of both worlds - I gave my old G3/300 beige tower to the school where my wife teaches and my kids attend. The machine went into my wife's classroom, and I'm the one in charge of it's upkeep. Not only do I get the charitable donation aspect of things, I have the peace of mind that the classroom stays mac based while others in the school switched over to PC this year, and I'm able to easily address any system issues that arise (which is pretty much never... but still, I'm really familiar with the computer.)

FuzzyBallz
Aug 27, 2004, 11:24 PM
Practice your golf swing w/ it. You'll be swinging like Tiger in no time.

mac4drew
Aug 28, 2004, 04:33 AM
Load it up with hard drives and use it for a file server or an iTunes server.

The only caution I would give you with using the B&W with more than one hard drive is to check whether you have a Rev. 1 or Rev. 2 computer, from what I've read and experienced, Rev. 1's have problems with data corruption on hard drives.

This page (http://xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/newfeatures.html) has some good information on how to tell what your computer is.

If you have a Rev. 1, my suggestion is to buy an ATA PCI card like this one (http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo.html), and use it to plug in all your hard drives instead of the sockets on the motherboard.

Anyway, I definitely agree, some kind of server is a great use for an old computer.

Good luck!

Jo-Kun
Aug 28, 2004, 06:01 AM
- use to finally transfer all those things you have stored on "floppy" to your new system

the B&W has no Floppy ;-)

mattthemutt
Aug 28, 2004, 07:12 AM
I'd buy it off of you. I need a mac in my household, cuz we're a pure PC place. (At my other house, its the other way 'round)

Oh and I'm a 14 year old student so don't expect $800 for it.

Jalexster
Aug 28, 2004, 07:23 AM
Get it folding. NOW!

And do some other stuff with it. But get it folding.

keysersoze
Aug 28, 2004, 10:26 AM
Get it folding. NOW!

And do some other stuff with it. But get it folding.

Agreed. FOLD FOLD FOLD!!! :)

JOD8FY
Aug 28, 2004, 10:38 AM
Here's an idea... ;)

http://www.applefritter.com/node/view/2241

JOD8FY

MacsRgr8
Aug 28, 2004, 05:16 PM
That is brilliant! :cool:

keysersoze
Aug 28, 2004, 08:20 PM
Here's an idea... ;)

http://www.applefritter.com/node/view/2241

JOD8FY

I remember seeing that picture on one of these threads awhile ago... it got completely bashed for being a pseudo-imac g5-wannabe... but now that I see the process, I think it should get a lot more credit. A lot of time and effort went into that conversion. Best of all it's fully functional, so it can still fold!

cslewis
Aug 28, 2004, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't be crying if you would be willing to part with it for a good price... ;)