Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterPurple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
How can I backup my new iPod to an external? I have NO CLUE where the backup goes currently when I left click in iTunes. I just spent over a week putting music on this, painstakingly adding album art and album info to each file. I DO NOT WANT TO SYNCH WITH MY iMAC SO I CAN CONSERVE SPACE/SPEED.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
How can I backup my new iPod to an external? I have NO CLUE where the backup goes currently when I left click in iTunes. I just spent over a week putting music on this, painstakingly adding album art and album info to each file. I DO NOT WANT TO SYNCH WITH MY iMAC SO I CAN CONSERVE SPACE/SPEED.

The backup performed through iTunes only saves things like application data, contacts, calendars, etc. Are you saying that you MOVED your music from your computer to your iPod and now want to back THAT up?

For what it's worth, having lots of music files on your hard drive won't affect your speed at all. Your best bet if you're worried about space, though, is to copy those files back to your iMac as well, then move the whole iTunes library to an external drive. Check this article for instructions:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive

MisterPurple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
really?

Ok, so the TB of music files isn't slowing me down? then what is? my iMac has become immensely sluggish. this is of course off my topic, but it's equally important to me!

MisterPurple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
ipod backup

i still don't know how to backup the iPod files TO iTunes like you suggest. The link is helpful with iTunes files. I added all/MOST of the files on my iPod from an external disk, and NOT from an iTunes synch. now i want to back up to that external from the iPod. i cannot see myself spending the time i just put in obsessively organizing the ipod again.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
Ok, so the TB of music files isn't slowing me down? then what is? my iMac has become immensely sluggish. this is of course off my topic, but it's equally important to me!

I should have spoken more precisely. Having a large number of files on your hard drive can slow down your computer if your boot drive is almost completely full (as in <5% free space) and you consistently run more programs than your installed RAM can handle. If you've got a TB of music alone, it is possible that this is your problem. How big is your HD? How much free space do you have?

Otherwise, I'd take a look at recently-installed programs. Did you notice a sudden slowdown after installing anything, or has it been more of a gradual creep? Try clearing out Safari caches and history.

You should also make sure your software is up to date. And you may like these tips, too:

http://lowendmac.com/eubanks/07/0312.html

i still don't know how to backup the iPod files TO iTunes like you suggest. The link is helpful with iTunes files. I added all/MOST of the files on my iPod from an external disk, and NOT from an iTunes synch. now i want to back up to that external from the iPod. i cannot see myself spending the time i just put in obsessively organizing the ipod again.

I guess I'm slightly confused about your setup. How did you get the files onto the iPod in the first place if not through iTunes? Did you know you can have files on an external hard drive AND in your iTunes library? I find it quite a bit easier to keep the files on an external drive, point iTunes that way, and then do all my organizing in iTunes; that way if I ever have to restore the iPod, I can just re-sync the same organizational pattern I already had.

MisterPurple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
i just have a couple externals that i will hook up to the iMac and dump music I've downloaded onto them, then delete the files from the main drive/iMac. THOSE files that I've moved to the external are the files i just added to my new 64gb iPod touch, therefore my ipod library is not the same as what is in my iTunes library. this is why i don't like the synch option, since i've been managing my files as explained above.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
i just have a couple externals that i will hook up to the iMac and dump music I've downloaded onto them, then delete the files from the main drive/iMac. THOSE files that I've moved to the external are the files i just added to my new 64gb iPod touch, therefore my ipod library is not the same as what is in my iTunes library. this is why i don't like the synch option, since i've been managing my files as explained above.

How about adding everything into iTunes, sync, and then move the iTunes library (in User > Music > iTunes) to an external? This is simpler and better than manually managing everything.

Also, it adds then ability to play music from iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.