Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maggiolino84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Hi I'm Enrico from Italy. I am the owner of a Mac Mini 1,83 ghz Core duo. Unfortunately trying to fix some parts inside it I broke the fan cable connector (the one which connects on the back of the mini, just below the IR board connector).
I'd like to change it with a new connector but the problem is that I don't know what's the name of the connector and so I'm unable to look for it. Is it called Molex 3 pin connector (I've seen this is the most widespread fan connector, even though it does not look very similar to the one of the Mini's fan) or does it have another name?
Hope you can help me.

Thanks very much,

Enrico

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
hi enrico,

these are not standard plugs, you will need to purchase the fan assembly,

ebay is your best bet for this.

$40 or so.

jchrisp

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
Mac Mini fan problem

Enrico,

I had the same problem while upgrading ram. I severed one of the leads right at the top of the plug. I was able to strip back enough of the insulation, twist the strands together and push it back into the plug. Once I had it in, I used a piece of tape wrapped around both wires to help hold it in place and reseated the plug. Make sure you seat it all the way and facing correctly as the contacts are offset inside the plug toward the front of the Mac mini. That solved my fan problem! Damn but it was loud running at 5000 to 5500 rpm's.

If that doesn't work for you, or the plug is well and truly toast, you can buy a new cable and plug (USD $27) at the following link. They will throw in instructions on how to replace it for another USD $14. You don't need to buy a whole new fan as someone else said.

http://www.mac-pro.com/Mac-Mini-Intel-Fan922-7317_2

Good luck!

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.