PDA

View Full Version : eMac G4 as a File Server/ iTunes and iPhoto Machine

chrismacguy
Feb 14, 2010, 12:08 PM
This is just a quick question:

How much RAM should I stuff in an eMac G4 (1Ghz I believe) to get acceptable performance as both a low-duty File Server and as an iTunes/iPhoto/iMovie '06 Machine? Im currently having this capacity filled by 2 machines: iTunes/iPhoto by a G4/450 and iMovie HD on my G4/1.67 . I know Ill take a slight performance hit, but if it means my PowerBook can go back to being a laptop, its worth it.

Also, could someone recommend a Program to let my Macs see my Windows Server 2003 Servers - Preferably one that runs under 10.3,10.4,10.5 and 10.6 :D

Transporteur
Feb 14, 2010, 12:34 PM
Also, could someone recommend a Program to let my Macs see my Windows Server 2003 Servers - Preferably one that runs under 10.3,10.4,10.5 and 10.6 :D

What do you mean by "see" your servers?
VNC, RD or simply use the shares of that server?

At least for >10.3 I recommend Microsoft Remote Desktop (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/default.mspx). Great program that runs much faster that VNC on small bandwidth connections like WLAN.

In case that you only want to use the shared folders, simply hit cmd+k to connect to the server.

chrismacguy
Feb 14, 2010, 12:55 PM
Remote Desktop is exactly what I was looking for - and idiotic me even had a copy already for connecting to school :o - Im just trying to free all my Monitors for Macs and just have my 2 PCs running in the Corner so I can just remote in to change settings and run my few Windows only programs. This will make my setup look cool - itll be perfect when I can afford to get all my Servers (PC) to look the same in a lil line in a corner :cool: