Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neven1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
First I should introduce myself. :) I am Neven from Croatia and I'm 17 years old.

Now, I have Apple eMac 1 GHz, G4. I would like to have an extra hard drive, since this one is almost full. As I've understood, there are only 2 "slots", and one of them is used by DVD/CD reader, other is, of course - hard drive.

For me, it's easiest to buy internal S-ATA drive. Now, how will I connect it? Are there any S-ATA to Firewire cables / adapters?

Thank you in advance.

Also, I am willing to share my RapidShare account with someone. I can't download whole 10 GB a day. Anyone interested?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
As an idea- purchase a SATA-compatible external drive enclosure which supports FireWire (Which is in effect a SATA-FW adapter). That is the only easy way to add extra storage to eMac G4s (Which are fine machines btw).

neven1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Wait, so is it possible to turn classic, internal hard drive into "external" by connecting it to Firewire/USB 2.0? Because, currently I'm short on cash so only option is internal one. Should I go with SATA to USB instead SATA to Firewire if that easier to find in shops?

On the other hand, maybe internal + adapter would cost same or more than external.

What do you think?

neven1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Won't you please, please help me? (The Beatles)

No, seriously, can anyone answer my last questions? Thanks.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
first the emac has only ide connectors inside NO SATA
firewire is better and faster so get a external firewire enclosure cheapest and less work intense way
other option is a bit complicated get a bigger hardrive for internal , dont worry about your data keep the old one where it is for the moment

needs a bit of taking eMac apart ,
but first install carboncopy cloner
after you took the emac apart , take the optical drive out fit your new BIGGER harddrive inside the optical drive bay (fix temprary as it wil come out again and make it master with the jumpers)
now put the emac back together (no need for all outside screws ) switch it on and it should see this big hardrive in finder , use disc utility and format it extended journaled ( make partitions like you want )
now copy with carbon copy cloner all data ( bootable)to the new big harddrive
done
now take the emac apart again fit the big one in place of your full small one and fit the optical drive again , everything back together , plug it in and be happy with your big drive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.