PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 Please Help Me!!

Matthew89
Feb 15, 2010, 02:58 AM
Tonight I was using my Powebook G4 which I have had for awhile, everything has gone perfect with it so far. I was going through some stuff and I noticed my friends name was still on some stuff in the finder, so I changed the name to mine. Sometime after that my Itunes lost everything! I then started to worry so I restarted my Powerbook and now everything is gone!!!

I right away checked to see if I accidentally created another profile and I have not, BUT i was going through folders and now I have 2 on here, one with the older user name and one with mine on it, I went into the folder with my name And There is EVERYTHING I use to have!!!!!

I have no idea what I did or how I did it and now am quite worried how I basicly put my entire last profile into a folder, it is all there but my background, desktop shortcuts, and even internet saved links are now gone.

Also for quite sometime now I have been getting hardrive noises, I was told it is the platters? In my hardrive and it was prone to fail soon, that was about 6 months ago I was told, and yes it does make bad noises if I move the computer around when it is turned on, a new hardrive was sometime I was going to do in the near future.

Could someone please help, and try and get my profile back to how it use to be!?

Thank you very much everyone!

smithmax13
Feb 15, 2010, 03:04 AM
Are those folders still where you found them? It sounds like you changed the names of some files that iTunes stores your music in. If that's the case, everything should still be on your computer.

iBookG4user
Feb 15, 2010, 03:05 AM
It sounds like you might've renamed your Home folder. Check out this (http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/renamehomerecovery.html) to see if it solves the problem.

Matthew89
Feb 15, 2010, 03:10 AM
Are those folders still where you found them? It sounds like you changed the names of some files that iTunes stores your music in. If that's the case, everything should still be on your computer.

If I go into my "Users" screen I see my folder named "Matthew" then I see the house pictures with my friends name under it. What I tried to change earlier was mine name for his and now it has put me in this mess!!!!

Everything is still in that folder, literally my last profile is still there, just now in a folder ha.

Thank you for the quick response so far.

Matthew89
Feb 15, 2010, 03:15 AM
It sounds like you might've renamed your Home folder. Check out this (http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/renamehomerecovery.html) to see if it solves the problem.

That is sounding like my problem, as it seems everything did vanish until I found this folder in the Users folder. I will give this a shot and hopefully I can even figure out how to do this. I am just pretty much in panic mode because all of my photography and everything is on here, but makes me feel a little better it is still in that folder.

Matthew89
Feb 15, 2010, 03:37 AM

Since I already logged out I followed

1. In the Finder, go to the /Users folder.
2. Locate the new home directory, which bears the users' short name.
3. Add "_new" to the new home directory's name.
4. Rename the old home directory to the user's correct short name.
5. Log out and back in with the affected user account.

And still no luck... Maybe I am doing something wrong, I admit computers definitely isn't my line of expertise, but it is pretty straight forward isn't it not?

Also the home directory is still the same name as before, there is just now a folder beside it with my name and all of my stuff!!

iBookG4user
Feb 15, 2010, 02:19 PM
Since I already logged out I followed

1. In the Finder, go to the /Users folder.
2. Locate the new home directory, which bears the users' short name.
3. Add "_new" to the new home directory's name.
4. Rename the old home directory to the user's correct short name.
5. Log out and back in with the affected user account.

And still no luck... Maybe I am doing something wrong, I admit computers definitely isn't my line of expertise, but it is pretty straight forward isn't it not?

Also the home directory is still the same name as before, there is just now a folder beside it with my name and all of my stuff!!

Did you still perform steps 3-9 at the first link?

You may still need to perform steps 3-9 below.

Here are those steps, I'd try them to see if they work :)

Replace the folders in your Home > Library folder with those from the Home > Library > Library folder, as follows:

Open your Home > Library folder and the Home > Library > Library folder in separate Finder windows.

Select all (Command-A) the folders in the Home > Library > Library folder.
Copy (Option-drag) the folders from the Home > Library > Library folder to the Home > Library folder.

When prompted if you want to replace a folder in the Home > Library folder with an older version from the Home > Library > Library folder, select Replace to permit the replacement.

Move (click and drag) the Home > Library > Library folder to your desktop.

This is to create a temporary backup copy of your old Library folder in case of a mistake in step 3.

Optional but recommended: perform a full Cache Cleaning if you have previously installed a tool which can perform Cache Cleaning. See Step 4,

"Perform cache cleaning" in our "Resolving Disk, Permission, and Cache Corruption" FAQ.

Restart your Mac.

Verify that your account is operating normally: assure that the Home folder, Address Book, iCal®, iTunes®, iPhoto®, Mail, Safari®, and other applications are functioning properly.

When you are sure that your account is again operating normally:
Trash the Library folder on your desktop, which was created in step 4.
Empty the Trash.

Matthew89
Feb 15, 2010, 05:21 PM
Did you still perform steps 3-9 at the first link?

Here are those steps, I'd try them to see if they work :)

Ahh, I am so confused with this

Now I open to Home folders, then go into library on each, but there is not a library/library folder in either, can someone just give me an easier and quick down low on how to do this or even a how to video or picture help. Sorry about this everyone and hope you all can bare with me.

Thanks for the help so far.

Matthew89
Feb 18, 2010, 08:06 PM
Anyone at all :confused: