PDA

View Full Version : ibook g4 keeps freezing up.......

angf117
Feb 15, 2010, 09:45 AM
hi all,
im new this is my first post.....i own a ibook g4 with os 10.4.11......i got it off of ebay,it ran fine for awhile but now its freezing up,the mouse wont move i have to hold power button,then turn it back on...the in gets to a blue screen and stops...if i let it sit turned off for a bit(15 minutes) it will botto up fine and run appx 15-20 minutes then freezes up again...oh btw, its 933 mhz,640 ddr sdram..i have a temp monitor on the stats are 50.8-graphics processor die,
processor bottomside-50.2...everything else is low in temp......any ideas? any help appreciated im active duty military and take this on my missions so i need it!

chrismacguy
Feb 15, 2010, 10:31 AM
What sort of tasks do you do before this crash occurs. Can you look inside the system logs to see what it is thats causing this, as this isnt normal for any Mac. Least of all one running 10.4.11.

California
Feb 15, 2010, 01:48 PM
You may need a new hard drive, number one. Don't trust that it seems to be running fine if it is as old as your laptop. Get a new one. Ibooks also have an issue with the video chip soldered onto the logic board coming loose. Manual pressure applied to the area of the chip is a poor man's fix, while there are companies that will re solder the chip for you. Also make sure your battery is good.

angf117
Feb 16, 2010, 05:31 AM
crash occurs while im surfing or doing nothing....i never have more than one program running at a time....i dont know what the temps supposed to be but isnt 58c pretty high? how do i check system logs? thx:)