PDA

View Full Version : 3G-Enabled 'SlingPlayer Mobile' Appears in App Store

MacRumors
Feb 15, 2010, 10:23 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/02/15/3g-enabled-slingplayer-mobile-appears-in-app-store/)

Sling Media today announced (http://www.slingmedia.com/get/io_1266202289258.html) that an updated version of SlingPlayer Mobile (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/slingplayer-mobile) adding the ability for users to stream media to their iPhones via 3G has appeared in the App Store. The update comes less than two weeks after AT&T announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/04/atandt-approves-slingplayer-mobile-television-streaming-over-3g/) that it would allow Sling Media's application to stream over the carrier's 3G networks."We're delighted the SlingPlayer Mobile App now has 3G capability," said John Gilmore, senior vice president and general manager at Sling Media. "Slingbox users in many countries around the globe, including the United States, can now enjoy their living room TV experience on their iPhone and iPod touch whether on a 3G or WiFi network."AT&T's announcement earlier this month created a bit of controversy, as quotes from AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega stated that AT&T and Sling Media had worked together to "revise the app to make it more bandwidth sensitive", possibly appearing as a partial explanation for nine-month delay following AT&T's original refusal (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/12/atandt-releases-statement-on-lack-of-3g-streaming-for-upcoming-slingplayer-mobile/) to allow the application on its network. Sling Media has denied (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/05/sling-media-denies-collaboration-with-atandt-on-3g-streaming/) that it worked with AT&T to revise the application, noting that the company "didn't change anything" regarding the application's 3G streaming capabilities between AT&T's initial denial last year and its recent change of heart.

Article Link: 3G-Enabled 'SlingPlayer Mobile' Appears in App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/02/15/3g-enabled-slingplayer-mobile-appears-in-app-store/)

tbobmccoy
Feb 15, 2010, 10:32 AM
This app is great news- having 3g disabled essentially made the app worthless for travel. I bet AT&T also bowed out so they could avoid a future lawsuit... how would the slingplayer app be any more data hungry than youtube watching or any other vid on the 'net? Seems discriminatory, and since they're trying to play nice to avoid net neutrality legislation, this is a bullet dodged for them.

stanswx
Feb 15, 2010, 10:33 AM
Can anyone confirm if this works with the Slingbox AV? I know the description says it might work in some configurations, but that is somewhat vague. Thanks!

Fafafoooey
Feb 15, 2010, 10:47 AM
Works pretty well. I know a good 3G signal will be crucial, but it is a great start.

coolbreeze
Feb 15, 2010, 10:49 AM
Nice. Streaming via 3g right now. Wonderful for on the go watching.

This will sell a lotta slingboxes. Glad I have mine set up in PA as I'm slinging from Utah!

Oh and by the way...there goes the network :eek:

libertyforall
Feb 15, 2010, 11:11 AM
Great! Now just make the app FREE, like the Mac version!!! :rolleyes:

$29.99 is way overpriced, IMHO.

Vertical
Feb 15, 2010, 11:24 AM
Even though I bought the app for the $30.00 I too think that is a bit over priced... but I went ahead and purchased it because there is no monthly fee, so a little higher one time fee is fine. I am so glad they finally enabled 3G access. I cant wait to try it out tonight at work. :D It would be really cool if when I hook it up to my JBL speakers at work that the audio will play over those. I could switch the app to audio only and be able to listen to TV shows at work. I wish the app would allow portrait mode as well though... small picture size or not, its better than trying to turn your head sideways when you have the think docked in your speaker system. And with as much batter as the app uses, more than likely you are going to have it docked anyway...

hippo206
Feb 15, 2010, 11:30 AM
If by announced you mean updated the website, it was actually updated yesterday.

Hawkeye411
Feb 15, 2010, 11:34 AM
Can anyone confirm if this works with the Slingbox AV? I know the description says it might work in some configurations, but that is somewhat vague. Thanks!

I'm watching the olympics from my Slingbox AV over 3G right now. It looks great!!

Cheers.

fronheiser
Feb 15, 2010, 11:40 AM
I have an ancient Slingbox and it works just fine. I gotta say, this is one piece of equipment I bought in either 2004 or 2005 and it has just sat there, working. I have no intention of upgrading it unless I have trouble with the SlingPlayer app I just bought (via WiFi on my local network it works fine, but who knows how it will work over 3G when I'm in Cleveland tomorrow?).

David R
Feb 15, 2010, 11:44 AM
How is the battery life affected while watching a broadcast via 3G?

scirica
Feb 15, 2010, 12:29 PM
For me, the quality on 3G is now unwatchable. This is after having used Slingplayer on 3G for months with 3G Unrestrictor. I understand that Sling may have throttled down the bandwidth when streaming over 3G vs over wifi, but not to the degree that the program is unusable.

It would appear that I'm the only one experiencing this, so I'll play a little more and see what happens. In the meantime, I'm downgrading to the previous version of Slingplayer mobile and keeping 3G Unrestrictor active.

elgray
Feb 15, 2010, 12:41 PM

They want it to be vague, in hopes you'll upgrade. But it's not my fault they made a dependable product, is it? My AV's worked just about flawlessly since Day 1 and won't be replacing it until I have to.

scirica
Feb 15, 2010, 12:50 PM
I was one of those that upgraded to the Slingplayer Solo from the AV. Perhaps it's time to put the AV on Craigslist. Seems like there could be some new demand!

mgamber
Feb 15, 2010, 01:06 PM
For me, the quality on 3G is now unwatchable. This is after having used Slingplayer on 3G for months with 3G Unrestrictor. I understand that Sling may have throttled down the bandwidth when streaming over 3G vs over wifi, but not to the degree that the program is unusable.

It would appear that I'm the only one experiencing this, so I'll play a little more and see what happens. In the meantime, I'm downgrading to the previous version of Slingplayer mobile and keeping 3G Unrestrictor active.

I upgraded and removed it from 3G Unrestrictor and it's a little rough starting but that's to be expected as it optimizes the stream for the connection speed. After 30 seconds or so it was quite watchable and the audio and video were a lot better I was expecting. Slingplayer via 3G was the only reason I bothered jailbreaking so I took the big leap and restored the phone and tried again with the same results. FYI, I was connecting to two "classic" Slingboxes. Boy is it nice to be rid of that half-assed "tethered jailbreak"! :-)

scirica
Feb 15, 2010, 01:10 PM
I upgraded and removed it from 3G Unrestrictor and it's a little rough starting but that's to be expected as it optimizes the stream for the connection speed. After 30 seconds or so it was quite watchable and the audio and video were a lot better I was expecting. Slingplayer via 3G was the only reason I bothered jailbreaking so I took the big leap and restored the phone and tried again with the same results. FYI, I was connecting to two "classic" Slingboxes. Boy is it nice to be rid of that half-assed "tethered jailbreak"! :-)

I originally downloaded the Sling 1.3 direct to my phone via iTunes. Went ahead and downgraded to previous version, then upgraded via my pc after updating iTunes on my computer. 3G appears to be working fine without 3G Unrestrictor now. It does hesitate from time to time, but nothing like the first install. I'm curious if using 3G Unrestrictor will give me higher quality over 3G as it does on YouTube. Back to the testing grounds...

forza1976
Feb 15, 2010, 01:43 PM
Works great all... Using it over 3g on my original slingbox classic. Will be great for my weekly travels.

cheers

muskratboy
Feb 15, 2010, 02:06 PM
How is the battery life affected while watching a broadcast via 3G?

LOL... it makes it less. :rolleyes:

boss1
Feb 15, 2010, 02:25 PM
Guess a lot of us are going to find out whether there really is a penalty for exceeding 5GB per month.

I'm guessing i'm going to exceed 20GB every month now. :)

And as soon as Blizzard releases Auction House for iPhone , I may never put my device down again.

btw, Sling Player is going to be great over wifi on the iPad , I wonder if the 3G data plan for the iPad is going to have the "not to exceed 5GB" verbiage in AT&T's TOS. Looking forward to it.

Edit: Oh and why is this story iPhone Blog and not Page 1 News?!!? The Sling vs AT&T vs Apple story is one of Thee biggest stories of "dev vs at&t vs apple"

travismcn
Feb 15, 2010, 02:26 PM
Although a bit painful to watch, it actually streams over Edge, too, for those of us still holding on to our original first-gen iPhones!

mgamber
Feb 15, 2010, 03:12 PM
I originally downloaded the Sling 1.3 direct to my phone via iTunes. Went ahead and downgraded to previous version, then upgraded via my pc after updating iTunes on my computer. 3G appears to be working fine without 3G Unrestrictor now. It does hesitate from time to time, but nothing like the first install. I'm curious if using 3G Unrestrictor will give me higher quality over 3G as it does on YouTube. Back to the testing grounds...

I'm sure it'll look better with 3G Unrestrictor simply because the 3G throttle is gone and 3G can carry a lot more data than throttled Slingplayer is pulling. I'm real happy with the upgrade because A) I can get rid of the tethered jailbreak and not have to be paranoid about the phone restarting and B) I can use Slingplayer as much as I'd like now....they approved it! :-)

Scooter22
Feb 15, 2010, 03:16 PM
Even though I bought the app for the $30.00 I too think that is a bit over priced... but I went ahead and purchased it because there is no monthly fee, so a little higher one time fee is fine. I am so glad they finally enabled 3G access. I cant wait to try it out tonight at work. :D It would be really cool if when I hook it up to my JBL speakers at work that the audio will play over those. I could switch the app to audio only and be able to listen to TV shows at work. I wish the app would allow portrait mode as well though... small picture size or not, its better than trying to turn your head sideways when you have the think docked in your speaker system. And with as much batter as the app uses, more than likely you are going to have it docked anyway...

You probably can listen to it over those speakers. I don't know if you are talking about a computer or a stereo, but I'm guessing a PC. A typical 1/8" male/male connector should work, or if you have RCA inputs on a stereo, you can get a 1/8" to RCA output connector or get what I bought, a 30 pin (iPod output) adapter that has composite cables (red, white yellow) and a USB connector for power to charge it. I've let my daughter watch movies from my iPhone on our integrated DVD player in our car/van that way.

fpnc
Feb 15, 2010, 04:26 PM
Works pretty well. I know a good 3G signal will be crucial, but it is a great start.
The upload speed from your ISP may be a bigger factor unless you get well over 1Mbps from you home's internet connection. The average download speed for broadband in the U.S. is about 4Mbps, but upload speeds are generally much lower.

fpnc
Feb 15, 2010, 05:41 PM
I just updated my iPhone 3GS to the new, 3G-enabled version of SlingPlayer Mobile. It looks like they disable stereo and high quality audio over 3G. If you go into the options they show that both are only available over WiFi (when video is enabled, haven't checked with the options set to audio only).

The video quality over 3G looks pretty good from my SlingBox SOLO. You probably wouldn't want to watch a lot of sports or high-motion video since the display sometimes becomes fractured and pixelated with fast motion. Talking heads look very good, but high-motion and scene transitions are sometimes a little rough.

However, my upload speed from home is only 360Kbps so that's the real bottleneck, not my 3G connection. On that relatively slow connection I'd rate the video quality somewhere between good and fair (varies depending on subject). The audio quality I'd call only fair. Overall, however, I'd say the results are surprisingly good given my slow upload link.

I used the SpeedTest app to check the 3G speeds on my iPhone and below are the results (two trials):

3G (WiFi disabled on iPhone, shows 4 or 5 bars on the AT&T connection icon):
Download: 1.0Mbps, 1.4Mbps
Upload: 0.22Mbps, 0.22Mbps

Road Runner ISP direct from my cable modem:
Download: 20.5Mbps, 19.0Mbps
Upload: 0.36Mbps, 0.36Mbps

When operating over 3G the two most important rates are the upload speed from the ISP and the download speed over 3G. Thus, the limiting factor in my case is the approximately 360Kbps upload speed from my ISP at home (since the video stream has to be sent out over my cable modem and is received over the 3G's download link to the iPhone).

I just tried EDGE and it also works, although the video quality is lower and the video pauses fairly often. SpeedTest averages only 80Kbps on EDGE download so problems are to be expected.

currentinterest
Feb 16, 2010, 12:27 AM
I am looking forward to Sling on the iPad. That size screen will make it very worthwhile to stream. I will likely buy a Slingbox and an iPad on the same day.

donlphi
Feb 16, 2010, 11:30 AM

$29.99 is way overpriced, IMHO.

I suppose you would like your groceries for free and perhaps free gas for a free car.

It's $30. You probably spend more at Starbucks in one week. :D

donlphi
Feb 16, 2010, 11:36 AM
Looks great (as good as wi-fi). I'm pleased. For a phone, I am officially getting more bang for my buck than any other phone I have ever had.

bigmc6000
Feb 16, 2010, 03:59 PM
Does anyone else have an audio delay? I've had an audio delay for pretty much the entire time I've had it and I have no idea how to fix it and and can't find any settings to fix it... (the audio is behind the video) I get the same issue on my mac over wi-fi

Scooter22
Feb 16, 2010, 04:38 PM
I have a Slingbox HD and it looks very good, the same as it does on my iPod Touch 2nd gen running the older software. However, I have noticed that the sound level seems quite low when I play it through my car's Liquid Aux iPhone/iPod mount. Perhaps they did mess with the sound quality - as someone noted earlier.

http://us.kensington.com/html/14493.html

Before anyone gets their panties in a bind, I was just testing out the connection on my daily commute, I don't actually watch Slingplayer while I'm driving. :)

big samm
Feb 16, 2010, 05:59 PM
i can say the sound sounds better with 3g unrestrictor... even the video quality is better... i've tried both wifi and 3g without 3g unrestrictor.... without unrestrictor the sound was weak and the quality of image was acceptable...
with 3g unrestrictor it's like being on wifi but on 3g.... good sound and very good quality image... like the others said your upload isp must be good... i get 7mbps down and 1mbps upload so am good... all that using a solo model...
hope it helps... now let's sling to the max!!!

Niiro13
Feb 16, 2010, 07:05 PM
i can say the sound sounds better with 3g unrestrictor... even the video quality is better... i've tried both wifi and 3g without 3g unrestrictor.... without unrestrictor the sound was weak and the quality of image was acceptable...
with 3g unrestrictor it's like being on wifi but on 3g.... good sound and very good quality image... like the others said your upload isp must be good... i get 7mbps down and 1mbps upload so am good... all that using a solo model...
hope it helps... now let's sling to the max!!!

That would make sense considering all 3G unrestrictor does is make the app think that Wi-Fi is turned on. So it'd be Wi-Fi quality. The official version of SlingPlayer probably downgrades the quality a bit to allow for faster downloading.

donlphi
Feb 17, 2010, 01:27 PM
Anybody else having issues with swipe to change channels?

Everything else seems to be working fine. :confused:

Resist
Feb 17, 2010, 04:50 PM

$29.99 is way overpriced, IMHO.I agree the app should have been free and don't understand why they make us pay for the app when they don't make us pay for the Mac or PC software versions. You have to buy a Slingbox to get the app for work in the first place, so you already spent a lot of money for the hardware.

big samm
Feb 17, 2010, 05:22 PM
I have a question... What is the green dot on the down left side? While wathing tv if i press option i can see a green dot... The weird thing is when i connect to my friend's sling i can see 2 green dots... Is that the quality(speed) of the upload stream?

fpnc
Feb 17, 2010, 08:49 PM
I agree the app should have been free and don't understand why they make us pay for the app when they don't make us pay for the Mac or PC software versions. You have to buy a Slingbox to get the app for work in the first place, so you already spent a lot of money for the hardware.
Sling Media charges for all of the mobile versions of the SlingPlayer, so this isn't an iPhone specific issue. For example, the mobile version of the SlingPlayer for RIM's BlackBerry is also $30. See this link for pricing:

http://www.slingbox.com/go/buy

It would be nice if the mobile versions were free, but they never have been (to the best of my knowledge). However, what I'd really like to see is a Mac version of the desktop SlingPlayer that supports all of the features that are available under Windows/PCs.

kdarling
Feb 17, 2010, 09:18 PM
That would make sense considering all 3G unrestrictor does is make the app think that Wi-Fi is turned on. So it'd be Wi-Fi quality. The official version of SlingPlayer probably downgrades the quality a bit to allow for faster downloading.

I thought that Slingplayer constantly tests the connection speed.

Some WiFis could be slower than 3G, for example.

It would be nice if the mobile versions were free, but they never have been (to the best of my knowledge).

One nice thing for other phones at least, is that once you buy the player, your registration number lets you move the player from device to device.

For example, I first bought Slingplayer back in 2006, but have used a single registration number to "move" my player between at least four WinMo devices so far... including getting the latest update that looks like the iPhone version for free.

When the iPhone version was announced, a lot of us were disappointed that we couldn't "move" our player to it for free.

mgamber
Feb 17, 2010, 09:24 PM
One nice thing for other phones at least, is that once you buy the player, your registration number lets you move the player from device to device.

For example, I first bought Slingplayer back in 2006, but have used a single registration number to "move" my player between at least four WinMo devices so far... including getting the latest update that looks like the iPhone version for free.

When the iPhone version was announced, a lot of us were disappointed that we couldn't "move" our player to it for free.

I was kind of disappointed but since I use a WinMo phone and a Blackberry along with the iPhone, I really needed all three. Still, it's a pretty small price to pay....not even half a month's cable bill. Yep, Comcast has gotten that expensive.

Squid7085
Feb 18, 2010, 12:23 AM
All I can say is, Finally! Okay, not really, I have been enjoying Sling over 3G basically since I purchased it, but it is nice to finally be "told" I can do so.

One thing I noticed, when using 3G Unrestrictor, the video would buffer quite a bit at times, since using the new version, that doesn't seem to happen at all. I would imagine, as others have said, since 3GUnrestrictor makes Sling think it is on Wifi opposed it knowing it is on 3G makes a difference.

big samm
Feb 18, 2010, 10:13 AM
so anybody knows about the green dot on the down left side of the screen??

bigmc6000
Feb 18, 2010, 10:40 AM

Not the slightest - I've watched literally hundreds of hours on mine (most of it on the iPhone) and I've never seen a green dot anywhere.

kdarling
Feb 18, 2010, 10:45 AM

stuck pixel?

big samm
Feb 18, 2010, 01:14 PM
Not the slightest - I've watched literally hundreds of hours on mine (most of it on the iPhone) and I've never seen a green dot anywhere.

ok when your watching some content on the slingplayer go to option then check on the down left side you will see a green dot... i wanna know what it is..

big samm
Feb 18, 2010, 01:18 PM
stuck pixel?
lol come on a stuck pixel... am telling you guys while slinging go to option you will see a green dot on the down left of the screen...when i connect to my friend's slingbox i can see 2 dots...

big samm
Feb 18, 2010, 01:31 PM
that's what am talking about... look at the bottom left of the screen green dot no? that is surely not a dead pixel.. lol that was a good one ...

beaner454
Feb 18, 2010, 01:55 PM
I agree the app should have been free and don't understand why they make us pay for the app when they don't make us pay for the Mac or PC software versions

They are allowing you to watch your home TV anywhere! How could they not charge for it. It required an entire development team dedicated to mobile devices. They had to learn how to deal with mobile data restrictions. A entirely new & separate UI had to be made, tested and deployed. And once again they are allowing you to watch TV on your cellphone anywhere.

Sling had to pay for this somehow and they have two options either raise the price of their hardware to absorb these costs. Thereby charging everyone whether they use the mobile feature or not. Or charge the people who are interested in using it. I think they made the right choice, and I've already been charged the $29.99.

This falls in line with the comments I've heard about people hoping for a legit version of Photoshop for the iPad, and they'd be willing to spend the big bucks---like $10. Just because there has been a race to the $.99 app, doesn't mean that it's right or even a good idea. We, being Apple consumers, should know above all the value of paying a little extra to get a great product.

navguy
Feb 18, 2010, 02:29 PM
that's what am talking about... look at the bottom left of the screen green dot no? that is surely not a dead pixel.. lol that was a good one ...

nice! ... now that you bring it to my attention, i can't stop checking to see if it's still there :eek: ... thanks a lot!?! ... btw, it moves w/ the "Options" menu so definitely not dead pixel ...

big samm
Feb 18, 2010, 02:59 PM
nice! ... now that you bring it to my attention, i can't stop checking to see if it's still there :eek: ... thanks a lot!?! ... btw, it moves w/ the "Options" menu so definitely not dead pixel ...

yes finally someone who sees it... like i said in a previous post i once connected to my friend slingbox and there was 2 green dot... maybe that's the quality of the upstream...

jaforres
Apr 4, 2010, 01:01 AM
This is great news. This will finally get me to buy a slingbox.

verks
Apr 4, 2010, 11:18 AM
^^^^
someone just got out of the hot tub time machine.

jaforres
Apr 4, 2010, 11:36 AM
^^^^
someone just got out of the hot tub time machine.

Hehe.. aye