PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering Video...

MrMister111
Feb 15, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hi my setup..

Apple TV with v3.01, ATV Flash v4.06, Buffalo Linkstation NAS, connected wireless via a Linksys Wireless N router to Apple TV

All setup is great, I have all my videos on my NAS, and setup the share on my Apple TV fine. However I have 2 problems..

1) on my share it takes sometimes 20-30 secs to see my movie list which is long (150+ movies)

2) when I play a movie avi, every 30-60secs the movie stutters/jumps/pauses. The stutter is prob less than 1/2sec but is annoying watching a video.

Now I know people are going to say dont use wireless use wired instead, but I dont really want to and everything else works fine. The NAS is not being written/read from apart form the Apple TV at the time. Its not just 1 movie but every one watched so far. I have full wireless signal on my Apple TV. YouTube works, iTunes store works etc. What can the problem be? how can I fix it please, this is spoiling my enjoyment of my Apple TV.

MrMister111
Feb 16, 2010, 12:55 PM
Ok I'll help myself!!

Still no good on different films, so I fired up XBMC and selected the film off my NAS and it played fine with no stutters. This means it's a problem with nito TV.

Anyone else have this?

wrkngclasshero
Feb 16, 2010, 01:26 PM
I had a lot of studdering issues and updating to 3.0.2 made a huge difference. Give that a try maybe? Also instead of a NAS, try hooking up the external directly to your computer.

MrMister111
Feb 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
I had a lot of studdering issues and updating to 3.0.2 made a huge difference. Give that a try maybe? Also instead of a NAS, try hooking up the external directly to your computer.

The same stuttering as I have had? ie using nito TV over a wireless network? Or on a movie on the internal Apple HDD? All movies? Particular ones?

The setup I have is what I want ie Apple TV wirelessly go a NAS (also use PS3).

Did you update to v3.02, use ATV Flash v4.06 and then using nito TV you didn't get any stuttering?

Cheers

wrkngclasshero
Feb 16, 2010, 01:59 PM
I had different stuttering than you, but I have noticed that overall my ATV experience has been much snappier since the update. I am not familiar with the ATVFlash but with a non modded Apple TV the use of a NAS with iTunes requires an extra router transaction (i.e. :apple:TV to Computer to NAS to Comp to :apple:TV) whereas the external hooked up to the comp is just :apple:tv to comp to :apple:TV) That could account for the slow down with apple TV and not XMBC, (XMBC does not use itunes and talks directly to the NAS i think...).

Are you wireless g or N, and if N, do you have an N only or are there G devices on it as well?

MrMister111
Feb 16, 2010, 02:45 PM
Ah ok my setup is Apple TV to NAS drive wirelessly over an N network

wrkngclasshero
Feb 16, 2010, 03:11 PM
you may want to try hooking your external up directly to your comp and try the :apple:TV and see if that fixes anything. If so, then you have pinpointed your issue. I have 400+ movies attached to my iMac with USB and it streams like a dream (especially with the 3.0.2 setup), the back and forth of wireless from itunes to the NAS is what is likely causing your studder.

Also, are there any G devices on your N network, like an iPhone or printer if so that would slow the network down to G speeds as a network will only run as fast as the slowest device.

Hope this was helpful and I hope i was not restating the obvious.

MrMister111
Feb 17, 2010, 09:17 AM
Watched a full movie last night using XBMC and played fine. Must be problem with nito TV.