PDA

View Full Version : DP2.5 G5 Dead On Arrival

Everett
Aug 28, 2004, 02:22 PM
Received my dual processor 2.5Ghz G5 together with a 23" Cinema Display yesterday. Looks nice! But doesn't work.

Symptoms: Does not power up. Connecting the power cord causes two clicks to be heard as if a relay was being activated -- I assume this is normal. Also, same sound when detaching the power cord. Pressing the Power button on the front panel, however, has no effect whatsoever. Also, the Status light on top of the Power button never lits up.

I have checked that the power strip is switched on and works, and have also tried a substitute power cord.

I will call Apple on Monday, unless I find a solution before that. I was just wondering if anyone had come accross this, or a similar, problem? Any ideas what might be the cause?

Interestingly, this is the first time in 20 years that I have been dissatisfied with an Apple product!

keysersoze
Aug 28, 2004, 02:34 PM
Oh Man, that Sucks! My bet is you've been waiting for it for awhile too... :(

BornAgainMac
Aug 28, 2004, 02:37 PM
I hope you get a replacement fast. I have that same relay sound with my G5 2.0ghz. It is normal. I wonder if one of your chips is not seating in all the way. It may have drifted during shipment. That is a known problem that I found with PC based hardware.

friarbayliff
Aug 28, 2004, 02:48 PM
Man, that sucks. Even though it's probably going to be replaced, the feeling is just terrible. Hopefully you'll get a replacement fast.

Ajmbc
Aug 28, 2004, 02:52 PM
Dont worry- when someone gets a machine doa or with a bad logic board, it is elevated to a very high status in apple's system-- I expect you'll have a replacement in a few days after you send it in.

realityisterror
Aug 28, 2004, 02:58 PM
that... really... sucks...

it would really be bad if it was just the power button not being connected properly...

reality

jsw
Aug 28, 2004, 03:01 PM
Sounds similar to this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=86523).

jemeinc
Aug 28, 2004, 03:24 PM
That sucks... This probably won't make you feel any better, but I know that Apple keeps a fair amount of all units available as "service units" for situations like this... I assume you have a BTO, so you'll have to send it in, but they'll get you a new unit right out, if in fact it is D.O.A...

Sorry to hear about your bad news, but be patient, they are just machines afterall- & unfortunately sometimes things go wrong with even the best machines out there... Good luck...

Everett
Aug 28, 2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the consolating words!

keysersoze, I placed my order on July 4th. I didn't mind the wait since it was known beforehand, and Apple kept me very well informed while waiting. Receiving a DOA, however, is not what I was looking forward to!

BornAgainMac, Reality, yes, it may well be a contact issue. I tried to gently rock both ends of the cable that connects the front panel assembly to the motherboard, but no cigar.

friarbayliff, I agree, the feeling is terrible. Taking a new Mac out of its packaging is kind of a religious experience. I was totally disapointed to find out that the machine is DOA.

jsw, it indeed appears to be the same or very similar problem. Too bad he didn't post again to let us know how it was resolved.

Ajmbc, I hope you are right! I will report here on the progress of this case.

Everett
Aug 30, 2004, 12:38 PM
I called Apple Tech Support this morning. The guy had me perform the following two procedures while on the phone:

(1) Detach power cord, (2) press PMU Reset button on motherboard, (3) reattach power cord; and (since this didn't help) ...

(1) Detach power cord, (2) take out RAM modules, (3) put RAM modules back, (4) reattach power cord

Even after performing these two procedures the machine remained dead so it was classified as D.O.A.

I was then connected to an Apple Store representative who took my information and then explained that a replacement G5 would be shipped to me, and, that, independently, TNT would collect the DOA G5 from my home within a couple of days.

When I asked about the shipping date of the replacement, the Apple Store representative told me that this would be put to the highest priority, and that she would call me back in an hour with an estimate.

After an hour she called back saying that she still hadn't gotten the estimate for a higher priority shipping time, and that at this point all she had was the normal 3-5 weeks. She then said she would call me as soon as she had more information.

Later in the afternoon I received an automated e-mail message from the Apple Store system (Subject: "Order Confirmed") listing my G5 configuration with this day as the order date and an estimated "build time" of 3-5 weeks.

vraxtus
Aug 30, 2004, 12:43 PM
Later in the afternoon I received an automated e-mail message from the Apple Store system (Subject: "Order Confirmed") listing my G5 configuration with this day as the order date and an estimated "build time" of 3-5 weeks.

Wow... that *really* sucks!!

:(

keysersoze
Aug 30, 2004, 01:07 PM
Wow... that *really* sucks!!

:(

Yeah, that rots. They must be seriously OUT of 2.5's if they are unable to ship until 3-5 weeks for a very obvious HIGH priority order. Maybe you'll get a call in the next day or two with a revised estimate. Best of luck--

Mantat
Aug 30, 2004, 01:28 PM
That really suck...

BTO has its advantages but you are now experiencing its flaw...

AT least you seem to have a positive attitude and that should give you some serious karma points!

Try to call back and ask for a rebate or upgrade of the video card (if you didnt have the 6800), HD, ram etc... 3-5 more weeks really sucks! Especialy if you are a pro user.

Good luck!

Everett
Aug 31, 2004, 02:09 PM
Last night I e-mailed them and asked if the 3-5 weeks mentioned in the automated message really did apply to this case. I received the following reply:

"With reference to the your replacement G5 has an estimated production time of three to five weeks. When your order is ready to ship, you will receive an e-mail confirming the dispatch of your order. Please allow an additional three to seven days for delivery and note that these are business days and estimated lead times only." [sic]

The moral of the story?

Remember, folks: do not receive faulty merchandise! Get it right the first time! Otherwise you might end up having to wait for your G5 for a total of four months, like I do. :(

Everett
Sep 6, 2004, 05:40 PM
For the record: The replacement G5 was delivered to me yesterday, 2004-09-06, and it powers up fine.

So it turns out that Apple does, after all, provide speedy service for DOA G5 replacements. It is just their communication regarding the matter that was way out and misleading. Underpromising and overdelivering is better than the other way around but reasonably close estimates would be useful too.

Anyway, I am happy to finally have a working system.

QCassidy352
Sep 6, 2004, 06:07 PM
very happy to hear that it all worked out. :) congrats on what must be an amazing new set up!

jobutex
Sep 6, 2004, 06:57 PM
Now everyone can look on the bright side... Apple will fix your dead one and pretty soon there will be a nice shiny never-before-used dual 2.5GHz Powermac on the Apple refurb site for one of us! :D

mklos
Sep 6, 2004, 07:32 PM
Unfortunately for someone else, Everett's replacement Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac was probably someone else's. So now they have to wait another few weeks to receive their Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5. Since Apple is having trouble keep inventories of Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMacs, I find it hard to believe they would have spares for DOA machines.

I'm glad Apple got you back up and running very quickly! That does suck when you get a DOA after waiting weeks for it. Its kinda like having your presents stolen on Christmas Eve then having to wait to get them back.

Opening up a new Mac for the first time is an awesome experience!

jemeinc
Sep 6, 2004, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=mklos]Unfortunately for someone else, Everett's replacement Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac was probably someone else's. So now they have to wait another few weeks to receive their Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5. Since Apple is having trouble keep inventories of Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMacs, I find it hard to believe they would have spares for DOA machines.
QUOTE]

I don't know about that... During the height of the mini craze I had to replace one two seperate times... The store had none for sale & was up to a 6 week waiting list, yet when the genious determined mine needed to be replaced he simply went to the back & got me one... It was in a "service unit" box- not the regular one- when I asked him about this he said they keep small amounts of brand new units for all of their products on hand for situations like this... It happened 2 times & both times there were no mini's for sale in the store- they were turning many people away right in front of me- yet I received a brand new one on the spot...