Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyzwerewolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Long Island, NY
Hey guys,

I am planning to buy Canon 7D in 1-2 months. Is it a good idea to buy the 7D in 1-2 months or should I wait for a newer release? Please let me know! I am upgrading from a Nikon D60.

Thanks,
Low

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
If you need a camera that excels at sports or wildlife photography, definitely go with the 7D -- it's surprisingly speedy and reliable. Or if you intend working in the weather a lot, it's your best option, as it has the most formidable build construction and weather-sealing available at that pricepoint.

If you just want a good all-around camera, I would recommend buying a 5D mark II -- used if you cannot afford a new one -- as its full-frame sensor is a substantial advantage over the 7D's sensor.

If you want a good DSLR for shooting video (though I assume this is not the case, as you posted in Digital Photography not Digital Video), wait until March and get the Rebel T2i for 1/2 the price.

I own a 7D, but I kind of regret not going with the 5D mark II. I'll keep it until the 5D mark III comes out and then switch if I can afford it.

edit -- just an aside, the 7D weighs nearly twice what the D60 does! It's big, and a solid piece of engineering.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Hey guys,

I am planning to buy Canon 7D in 1-2 months. Is it a good idea to buy the 7D in 1-2 months or should I wait for a newer release? Please let me know! I am upgrading from a Nikon D60.

Thanks,
Low

The 7D was released in Sept. 2009 so it's only 6 months old. Canon is not likely to refresh this model for at least another 12 months according to typical product cycles... (here's a link that shows the release date and expected update timelines for Canon's EOS lineup)

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Low

Not sure what you have invested in lenses and accessories for your D60, but be aware that you are going to have to start from scratch if you make the switch to Canon. Have you considered a Nikon D300s (or D90 if you want to save some $$)? At least you'll have some glass to work with from the get go.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
It doesn't sound as if the 7D is the right camera for you at all. You wanting to ditch your Nikon for a Canon suggests you haven't invested in lenses (although please correct me if I'm wrong). Going for such an expensive body from a consumer camera also suggests you're blowing the majority of your budget on the body (again, please correct me if I'm wrong).

If my conjectures are correct, I advise against spending so much money on a body. Instead, get a cheaper (perhaps used) body and spend the rest of the money on lenses and an external flash. That'll do a lot, lot more than going with the 7D and some cheap lens.

If you want to switch to Canon, IMO a used 40D would be money well-spent. It offers the same robust construction as the 7D at a fraction of the cost. It has a decent AF system and more likely than not, you, the photographer, will be the limiting factor.

The same holds if you consider getting, say, another Nikon: the D90 would be the natural upgrade. But I wouldn't discount other manufacturers as well.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
the canon 7D is a great camera for most events. i'd highly recommend it, especially since they got rid of all the bugs now.

what concerns me with you. is you switching from a nikon to a canon. if you have invested some good spent money on nikon glass, your lens arsenal for canon will be crippled for some time.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
You don't give any details about:

- Your budget
- Your intended use of the camera
- Your photographic experience
- What lenses you're planning to use with it

As such, it's impossible to say whether this camera is appropriate for you or not.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
The 7D is a great camera. I love mine. It's what the 20-50D should have been. If you're already Nikon why aren't you going with D300? Or whatever the newer version of that is? Nikon and Canon are so close and unless you do a lot of video I'd just stay Nikon so you don't have to learn new systems. I've been Canon for about 3 or 4 years now and still miss Nikon ergonomics but have way too much invested in glass to switch back (Nikon at the time was way behind in noise and now things are neck and neck).

Paul

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Hello Everyone, let's remember his question wasn't 'Should I buy this or that', but rather he's made up his mind and doesn't want to buy something on the edge of being replaced. So, we don't need to know his budget, his lenses, or have any reason to talk him out of buying a 7D. That's not what he's asking.

ANSWER: The 7D isn't going anywhere for at least a year, and probably longer. Canon still needs to upgrade the 1Ds Mk III to a Mk IV revision, and possibly update the 50D (Although, since the T2i is based off the 7D, I wonder if the xxD series is done). And then the 5D will have its' turn for a Mk III version. SO, the 7D as it currently sits will be with us for at least a year, probably closer to 18 months.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Hello Everyone, let's remember his question wasn't 'Should I buy this or that', but rather he's made up his mind and doesn't want to buy something on the edge of being replaced. So, we don't need to know his budget, his lenses, or have any reason to talk him out of buying a 7D. That's not what he's asking.

ANSWER: The 7D isn't going anywhere for at least a year, and probably longer. Canon still needs to upgrade the 1Ds Mk III to a Mk IV revision, and possibly update the 50D (Although, since the T2i is based off the 7D, I wonder if the xxD series is done). And then the 5D will have its' turn for a Mk III version. SO, the 7D as it currently sits will be with us for at least a year, probably closer to 18 months.

I disagree. If he's holding off on the 7D because he thinks something else might be announced, then he might not have considered the 550D.

Rebalancing a budget to the 550D + better lens(es) vs 7D + worse lens(es) might be a better option.

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
Like several others have suggested, post your current setup (D60 + what lens(es)), experience, usage plans, budget, etc.

I absolutely love my 7D, and would recommend one to anybody in a heartbeat, but it does sound like you're just going for the shiniest new toy, without thinking of what else is involved.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It's always possible the guy just doesn't like his Nikon - and I say that as a happy Nikon shooter.

Some people switch brands semi-regularly. I don't think it's a worthwhile use of the money, but it is their money not mine. ;)

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
It's always possible the guy just doesn't like his Nikon - and I say that as a happy Nikon shooter.

Some people switch brands semi-regularly. I don't think it's a worthwhile use of the money, but it is their money not mine. ;)

Looking at the cost of used lenses on CL or other B&S forums, I don't see much of an inhibitor to switching brands. :eek: :confused: If you can get 90%+ return on premium lenses there's not much to lose.

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
Looking at the cost of used lenses on CL or other B&S forums, I don't see much of an inhibitor to switching brands. :eek: :confused: If you can get 90%+ return on premium lenses there's not much to lose.

Unless you live in an area without an active Craigslist community. I've been trying to sell a couple of Canon lenses, and a Pentax K2000 + a few lenses for months now; I'm about ready to just go to eBay. (Yes, my prices are good, and the items are in superb condition).

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Unless you live in an area without an active Craigslist community. I've been trying to sell a couple of Canon lenses, and a Pentax K2000 + a few lenses for months now; I'm about ready to just go to eBay. (Yes, my prices are good, and the items are in superb condition).

You should try the B&S forums at fredmiranda.com :)

nyzwerewolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Long Island, NY
Hello guys,

Very sorry that I did not post budget, use, experience etc.

The main reason why I am planning to switch from Nikon to Canon is because I am not having a very good experience with Nikon's entry level systems. I had a D40 - but after few months, every photo I took, there was a dark spot. Since the D40 was still under the replacement warranty, I exchanged it for a D60, and now the AF no longer works on any Nikon AF lenses. We also have a Canon G11 and to us it seems like G11 produces better photos - because it has a lot more features than D60.

Lenses
I do not have many lenses. I only have the stock lens that came with D60 (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR) and a Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF lens.

Experience
I share my gear with my brother who has been doing photography for 2+ years. I am more into the video aspect. I own a Canon Vixia HF11. I play with the DOF functions and that was the main reason why I bought the Nikkor 50mm lens. If I have a DSLR that does video, it would be much easier for me to do video. As far as photography is concerned, we usually do portraits, new born shots, family outdoor shots, nature, landscape, beaches, etc. We also have a small studio setup in our basement with multiple lights, umbrellas, etc. We also travel and love capturing other cultures and people. We work with Aperture 2 and Final Cut Pro 6 & 7.

Budget
$2000-$2700

My main concern is: if Canon is going to release a better version of 7D after 6 months. The summer will be here soon and we have a lot of clients who want us to to outdoor family shots of. With that in mind, I do not want to rush and make a mistake by buying the 7D and then 4 months later, a newer 7D is released by Canon.

I have seen a deal on eBay. Here it is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-7D-Di...l_Cameras?hash=item20af7776f5#ht_18255wt_1046

thanks guys!

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Hi there nyzwerewolf.

Thanks for posting some more details!

If you're into video and want a DSLR kit for $2000-$2700, then buying the 7D would not leave you with enough cash for all the accessories you need.

I'd buy the 550D (Rebel 2Ti) instead of the 7D - $800
Add a good fast IS lens - the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 would be great for $1000
Add a Zacuto Z-Finder - $400 (Edit - it's not confirmed yet whether this is compatible with the 550 - need to check!)
Add a better microphone - Rode Videomic - $150

In total, that's already $2350 (before tax) - and that's with no tripod, filters, memory cards etc.

That really is the minimum you need for quality video. Spend some time reading through some of the DSLR video blogs to find out more. I really like Philip Bloom's blog.

http://philipbloom.co.uk/

Edit - saw your ebay link:

That kit seems expensive for what it is.

None of those lenses are good for video - most are slow, with poor minimum aperture. The reflex lens and the telescope lenses are real junk - you're better off without these.

If you went with the 7D rather than the 550D, you could build a better kit from B&H by not wasting money on things you don't need.

nyzwerewolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Long Island, NY
doing video is not the most important thing. I have a Canon HF11 for all the main video needs. I would just use the 7D here and there for the easy DOF functions. That is all. I would not make a DSLR my main video capturing system, since it has be shared with my brother who will be doing the most of the photography work.

edit

yea i figured the reflex/telescope lenses are junk bc it does not have a brand or anything.

Like I said, the main purpose of the DSLR wont be video. But having video is nice, just incase. That is all.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
with canon's normal product cycle I don't see them replacing the 7d within 6 months so I would go for it

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
with canon's normal product cycle I don't see them replacing the 7d within 6 months so I would go for it

With Canon's normal product cycle, I don't see them replacing the 7d within 12 months, probably longer if Canon applies the usual xD release cycle period to the 7D.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
That kit seems expensive for what it is.

None of those lenses are good for video - most are slow, with poor minimum aperture. The reflex lens and the telescope lenses are real junk - you're better off without these.

If you went with the 7D rather than the 550D, you could build a better kit from B&H by not wasting money on things you don't need.

I'd have to agree here. Not that the poster wants it for video but for the sake of others looking into similar kits. The best thing about the 7D and others with video is the DOF options available for certain lenses. A 50 1.2, 1.4 or 1.8 would be much better than a mid range zoom. Same thing with any of the 1.4's or the stunning 85 1.2 (I'd get a first gen of this over the 17-55 IS anyday). Then I'd look into older MF lenses and an adaptor... heck, maybe even a lensbaby :D

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
With Canon's normal product cycle, I don't see them replacing the 7d within 12 months, probably longer if Canon applies the usual xD release cycle period to the 7D.

I agree with this. It seems that the xD release cycle is about 18 months. And the xxD (rebel series) is about 6 months.

About a year ago I bought an XSi then they came out with the T1i, now they've just released the T2i!

I just bought a 7D and am very happy about it. Why wait a couple of months? Get one now and get used to how everything works so when you need it you'll be ready to shoot!

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
The Canon 7D is a new camera and won't be replaced anytime soon.

The question for the OP is: do you need to take such a giant step up from the D70 to a 7D?

Do you have money left for good lenses? Don't blow everything on the body. A mistake that is done over and over again.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I agree with this. It seems that the xD release cycle is about 18 months. And the xxD (rebel series) is about 6 months.

Slightly out.

The xD series generally stick around for 3 years (though the 7d maybe 18-24 months), the xxD series for 12-18 months xxxD usually 12 months.

No idea about the xxxxD series though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.