PDA

View Full Version : Cobol Programming on mac

faragher6
Feb 16, 2010, 08:25 AM
Hello!
I am currently in a class in college learning COBOL programming language. I've been using windows on my mac to run .net express however, my other programming class allows me to use eclipse for mac to do java. i was wondering if there are any programs to help me code COBOL on mac so i dont have to go to my windows partition. any help is appreciated!

lee1210
Feb 16, 2010, 08:27 AM
First hit on google for "OS X Cobol compiler":
http://www.opencobol.org/

I have no experience with this, but it seems like a good place to start.

-Lee

iShater
Feb 16, 2010, 08:29 AM
I hate to ask this question, but why on earth are they teaching you COBOL in school?

or is it a programming languages course that shows you the different ones out there? (ADA, LISP, etc.)? :confused:

miles01110
Feb 16, 2010, 08:30 AM
Maybe it's the science version of teaching Latin :)

Peace
Feb 16, 2010, 08:31 AM
Since it's one of the earliest tools I'm sure it's required reading.

redwarrior
Feb 16, 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm starting at DeVry in March and many of the programming classes offer the choice of primarily COBOL or Java. Apparently, it's still used. I still have flashbacks of grid paper and hand cramps. :o

iShater
Feb 16, 2010, 08:38 AM
Since it's one of the earliest tools I'm sure it's required reading.

If it is a course on its own, then I would be surprised.

I'm starting at DeVry in March and many of the programming classes offer the choice of primarily COBOL or Java. Apparently, it's still used. I still have flashbacks of grid paper and hand cramps. :o

It is still used. DeVry and other similar schools actually keep it alive as there are large corporations that use it on the mainframe.

I'm just curious, I mean it is not as common in India, so maybe it will mean better future here. :p

faragher6
Feb 16, 2010, 08:39 AM
I hate to ask this question, but why on earth are they teaching you COBOL in school?

or is it a programming languages course that shows you the different ones out there? (ADA, LISP, etc.)? :confused:

There are alot of companies out there that still use Cobol for certain reasons. the reason my school thinks its so important is because most of these companies are having there coders retire and they need new people to hire and redo the code and update it

First hit on google for "OS X Cobol compiler":
http://www.opencobol.org/

I have no experience with this, but it seems like a good place to start.

-Lee

good place to start yes but it doesn't seem like the solution im looking for. this looks like it converts cobol to C to compile. also...it doesn't seem to work on mac. anyone else want to give it a try?

Peace
Feb 16, 2010, 08:50 AM
I'm probably wrong but I think the Mac side has given up on Cobol and I'm afraid Windows will be the best way to do it.

aross99
Feb 16, 2010, 09:00 AM
Hello!
I am currently in a class in college learning COBOL programming language. I've been using windows on my mac to run .net express however, my other programming class allows me to use eclipse for mac to do java. i was wondering if there are any programs to help me code COBOL on mac so i dont have to go to my windows partition. any help is appreciated!

Years and years ago, Micro Focus used to make a Cobol compiler for the Mac. This was WAY before OS X - probably back in the System 7 days. The product has long since been discontinued.

They have other Unix/Linux based products (Server Express, etc), but as far as I know, they don't run under OS X.

Since you are using Net Express, I think your are going to need to run it under Windows on your Mac, or use your Mac to "remote desktop" into a Windows machine that has the compiler and runtime.

sushi
Feb 22, 2010, 04:30 PM
This is a most interesting thread.

COBOL is still used in the government, DoD and large corporations. Plenty of opportunities out there -- especially as old coders retire.

Back in the early 80s I worked for the Army's computer research command and developed code using COBOL.

Fun times! :)

Also learned Ada. Here is a pic of the manual cover:

Note it says proposed standard document. That was back in July 1980.

And both languages are still around and being used. :D

As for the compiler/development environment, I will be very curious to see what the OP ends up using. It seems there are very limited options on the Mac side these days.

silverf1re
Oct 31, 2011, 04:39 PM
Bump. I started a cobol class today at UIU and I am in need is a cobol solution for mac also. Im not expecting a miracle but maybe some fresh eyes on the matter :)

CodeRaven
Oct 31, 2011, 08:17 PM
COBOL is still used in the financial industry where mainframes are still heavily in use. I was a COBOL programmer for about 18 years, our mainframe runs IBM's z/OS, lots of CICS code. Also did some report writing in a language called EZ-Trieve.

jiminaus
Oct 31, 2011, 08:28 PM
good place to start yes but it doesn't seem like the solution im looking for. this looks like it converts cobol to C to compile. also...it doesn't seem to work on mac. anyone else want to give it a try?

What does it matter if OpenCOBOL compiles to C? It's just a compiler mechanism, the resulting behaviour will be the same.

Quote from the front page of the OpenCOBOL website (emphasis added):
You can build your COBOL programs on various platforms, including Unix/Linux, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows.