PDA

View Full Version : Dual External hard drives?

AliensAreFuzzy
Aug 28, 2004, 06:01 PM
I'm going to be working on some important video projects that will take a lot more room than I could possibly fit on my powerbook. I'm wondering is should I use 2 external hard drives to save the files on, just exact copies. and if so, how would I do it?

Counterfit
Aug 28, 2004, 06:34 PM
If you have FireWire 800, use that and daisy chain the drives. OR! (that's a big or ;)) you could get a FW800 PC-Card and use that as a second FireWire bus. http://barefeats.com/fire42.html

musicpyrite
Aug 28, 2004, 06:37 PM
I don't see any reason that you can't use 2 external hard drives. (not sure about the power requirements though, you'll have to check that out)

Are you saying that you want to have 2 backups of your files? Or just 1?

Do you want to copy just the files, or do you want to copy everything on your hard drive over to the external(s) to make the external bootable?

thecow
Aug 28, 2004, 07:06 PM
If you get LaCie HDs, you can daisy chain them. Plug the first one into your pb and plug the second one onto the other Firewire port on the back. They will both mount on your desktop. Also the LaCie ones will come with backup software. You can set it up to back up the one HD to the other one at a certain time and you will have 2 exact copies of your data.

seamuskrat
Aug 28, 2004, 07:22 PM
Nearly every external firewire drives allows for daisy chain.

I have 9 on one Mac.

I also can plug 2 powerless (bus powered) 2.5 drives into my powerbook. More and it dies. When powered I can plug more.

You can RAID them, if they are the same size, just open Disk Utility and choose the drives. But with FW its more trouble than its worthIMO. Just do manual backups at end of each day.

I'm going to be working on some important video projects that will take a lot more room than I could possibly fit on my powerbook. I'm wondering is should I use 2 external hard drives to save the files on, just exact copies. and if so, how would I do it?

PHARAOHk
Aug 28, 2004, 08:17 PM
A daisy chain is a feature of the fire wire protocol. It lets you have multiple fire wire devices connected and fully usable on just one port on your computer. They are daisy chained together. I have a HD connected to my PB. There is another fire wire port on that HD I connect another HD. On the second hard drive there is another fire wire port that I connect my iPod to.

A RAID (redundant array of independent drives) can be set up for what you want. RAID 0 will mirror one drive to whichever other you select. So when a file is added to one the other gets the same on etc. OSX has RAID capabilities in disk utility.

AliensAreFuzzy
Aug 28, 2004, 08:53 PM
A daisy chain is a feature of the fire wire protocol. It lets you have multiple fire wire devices connected and fully usable on just one port on your computer. They are daisy chained together. I have a HD connected to my PB. There is another fire wire port on that HD I connect another HD. On the second hard drive there is another fire wire port that I connect my iPod to.

A RAID (redundant array of independent drives) can be set up for what you want. RAID 0 will mirror one drive to whichever other you select. So when a file is added to one the other gets the same on etc. OSX has RAID capabilities in disk utility.

That's exactly what I need.

Are you saying that you want to have 2 backups of your files? Or just 1?

I won't have room for the files on my internal hard drive, so I want a place to store them and a place to back them up in case one HDD fails.
EDIT: Do you think this is necessary or am I just over-estimating the chances of the drive frying?