Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felix_the_Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2003
UK
Can I backup my home folder by:

i) turning on filevault
ii) log in as root
iii) copy home folder imgage to backup device?

Would I have any problems if I attempted to restore this after a re-install for example?

Currently I occasionally make a disk image of my home folder and backup that up. But it takes a long time to create.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I use Filevault on my laptop and I use Apple Backup to backup the home folder to another disk. This works fine.

If you do not have .Mac, MAYBE retrospect would work for this.

Why do you need Filevault? Its overkill for most. I use it in case I loose my laptop traveling.

Felix_the_Mac said:
Can I backup my home folder by:

i) turning on filevault
ii) log in as root
iii) copy home folder imgage to backup device?

Would I have any problems if I attempted to restore this after a re-install for example?

Currently I occasionally make a disk image of my home folder and backup that up. But it takes a long time to create.

Felix_the_Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2003
UK
My thinking was that FileVault is based upon having a disk image of your home folder. Therefore (when you are logged in as another user) you can just backup that disk image.

This is a more foolproof method than backuping up the folder file by file because, for example, some hidden files may not be transfered that way etc.

Also transfering 1 big file acroos the network is quicker than 40,000 small ones.

BTW, my machine is a laptop as well but I do not have any info on it which is of interest to others. (I do use it for my business but still not trade secret stuff!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.