PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Rebate Pulled

arn
Aug 1, 2002, 03:25 PM
MacMinute reports (http://www.macminute.com/lib/020801amazon.shtml) that the $50 Amazon Rebate has been pulled due to overwhelming demand.

Fortunately the rebate will be honored for those customers who placed an order up until 19:00 PT yesterday (July 31, 2002).

eric_n_dfw
Aug 1, 2002, 03:32 PM
Oh well, guess I'll just have to pirate it then! ;)

eric_n_dfw
Aug 1, 2002, 03:33 PM
BTW: For those of you who missed the piracy thread here and my views on it - I WAS JUST KIDDING!

jelloshotsrule
Aug 1, 2002, 03:39 PM
what a freaking joke

if you offer a promotion, of course it will get people to buy it more. be prepared for that.... ahh. that's just dumb.

nero007
Aug 1, 2002, 03:51 PM
SON OF A !!!!!

I guess that's what I get for waiting! GAHHHH! :mad:

#Johnny5
Aug 1, 2002, 04:05 PM
Can we sue for this crap? I mean, if they said the rebate was good until the end of next month, then shouldn't they have to stick to that?

I guess we're no worse off than we were last week before the rebate came out. I just have less faith in Amazon now.

I'm gonna go kick myself in the ass right now.

trilogic
Aug 1, 2002, 04:06 PM
one could have expected that amazon wouldn't be able to keep that promo up for ever.

I wonder how many copies have been preordered?

ZxCv
Aug 1, 2002, 04:18 PM
I printed the coupon out a couple days ago and saved it to my desktop. The coupon says that the product must be ordered between 7/29 and 9/3, and I got the coupon well befored they "pulled it", so I would raise one major stink with Amazon if they renigged on this.

Something tells me, however, that the missing link to the rebate was a mistake. The actual form is still available here: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006F7S2.01.RB02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg. I also read somewhere else (MacNN i think) that someone else received a reply from Amazon stating that it was just that--a mistake. But I guess we'll see in the next day or so.

bbarnhart
Aug 1, 2002, 04:26 PM
I got my pre-order in already. Good think I didn't wait. But still, there is a rebate form with the dates 07/29/02 and 09/03/02. So, we will see what happens.

ponyboy
Aug 1, 2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by #Johnny5
Can we sue for this crap?

In my opinion this is everything that is wrong with this country!

MacArtist
Aug 1, 2002, 04:44 PM
Can we sue for this crap? I mean, if they said the rebate was good until the end of next month, then shouldn't they have to stick to that?

Unfortunately, anyone offering a promo reserves the right to pull it at any time. Therefore, to answer your question. No.

I agree that it sucks. I was going to pick it up next month, but guess I'll check elsewhere.

lazyrighteye
Aug 1, 2002, 04:44 PM
Doh!

I printed out the form as well... so am I screwed for not sending it in yet?

Why does everything have to be so difficult? I mean, life can be so simple, so sweet... if you let it.

****'s ****ed up...

I hate words filters. That's ****ed up too.

esome
Aug 1, 2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by ZxCv
I printed the coupon out a couple days ago and saved it to my desktop. The coupon says that the product must be ordered between 7/29 and 9/3, and I got the coupon well befored they "pulled it", so I would raise one major stink with Amazon if they renigged on this.

Something tells me, however, that the missing link to the rebate was a mistake. The actual form is still available here: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006F7S2.01.RB02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg. I also read somewhere else (MacNN i think) that someone else received a reply from Amazon stating that it was just that--a mistake. But I guess we'll see in the next day or so.

I'm in essentially the same boat. Printed the rebate on 7/24 and ordered Jaguar last night (7/31) at about 8:30 PST. Amazon didn't have the link to the rebate when I ordered. None the less, I'm pretty sure amazon will honor this rebate as it does say it covers orders during this period. So it may still be safe to use. And, DealsOnTheWeb (http://www.dealsontheweb.com) has a discount code for $10 off purchases at Amazon over $100 that can be used here as well. So, I should (fingers crossed) be getting Jaguar for $69. :-)

Amazon listed the etimated ship date as August 30. So my only worry now is can I wait that long ;)

bretm
Aug 1, 2002, 05:06 PM

I guess we're no worse off than we were last week before the rebate came out. I just have less faith in Amazon now.

Sure. You can sue anybody in America for anything. So let's see... your damages are what again? :)

I'd argue mental anguish, but I think that's apple's fault.

bretm
Aug 1, 2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ponyboy

In my opinion this is everything that is wrong with this country!

The suing? Or Amazon pulling it's offer? Close call.

mdman
Aug 1, 2002, 05:31 PM
Did anyone email amazon customer support? I was unable to find anything on their site that stated the rebate was off. I sent them an email and asked if it the rebate was still valid.

I have no idea how long it will take them to reply, but if/when they do, I'll be sure to share the info! :)

Cheers,

mdman

ryan
Aug 1, 2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by ZxCv

Look at the coupon form, it requires the Amazon packing slip and copy of your receipt, neither of which you couldn't possibly have already so don't worry about not having sent in the coupon yet.

King Cobra
Aug 1, 2002, 06:27 PM
[>(lazyrighteye) ****'s ****ed up...

I hate words filters. That's ****ed up too.]

Tough ****. You got ****ed from some ****ty rebate. You know ****ing well that it's not the **** end of the world, ya *****. :D :D :D :D

I don't see what the big deal is here. Things are meant to happen like this. Life isn't always supposed to be fair. But as long as you are here on Earth, deal with it.

If you guys are still upset over the overpriced Jaguar deal, buy a PowerMac now so you can upgrade to $20, or you can voice your opinion by signing the petition somewhere on petitiononline.com.

cyberfunk
Aug 1, 2002, 06:31 PM
Come on guys.. This was a promo offer to attract attention, and they obviously did... a little to much. I bet they're taking a loss on the promo, why ELSE would they cancel it ? (except possibly @ Apple's request, but it's really none of Apple's buisness what their resellers do w/ pricing)

Plain and simple: They miscalculated response, and decided they didnt want to take the huge loss that financing all these people getting Jaguar on the cheap would cost them.

lazyrighteye
Aug 1, 2002, 06:35 PM
Daaargh, the wicked venom of the King Cobra... well said on all counts.

At any rate, I just emailed Amazon, requesting more info. I'll post any "news."

L8

cgmpowers
Aug 1, 2002, 06:44 PM
I was actually wondering that too, it probably depends a lot on not only your states laws but the laws of the state where Amazon is headquartered.

I would actually think this is something that they could be sued for. In fact, I know that both Best Buy and CompUSA have been sued (and successfully in some cases) regarding the way they handle (or mishandle) rebates.

Christopher Powers

Originally posted by nero007
SON OF A !!!!!

I guess that's what I get for waiting! GAHHHH! :mad:

TechLarry
Aug 1, 2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by mdman
Did anyone email amazon customer support? I was unable to find anything on their site that stated the rebate was off. I sent them an email and asked if it the rebate was still valid.

I have no idea how long it will take them to reply, but if/when they do, I'll be sure to share the info! :)

Cheers,

mdman

I have. No response yet.

I also emailed them BEFORE it was taken away, and have Email proof from them that the Rebate WAS valid. Even has a link to the proper coupon.

I ordered before the reported cut-off time, so I _should_ be safe.

But... The changed their minds once. Nothing saying they won't do it again. Corporations have no fear in the current political environment.

TL

mnkeybsness
Aug 1, 2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by cyberfunk
Plain and simple: They miscalculated response, and decided they didnt want to take the huge loss that financing all these people getting Jaguar on the cheap would cost them.

life's a bitch and then you die...or else you could all just stop yer damn crying about this and get over it already

Rocketman
Aug 1, 2002, 09:48 PM

The answer is yes you can sue, perhaps even successfully for your full damages of $50. And it will only take 2-3 years and cost >$200,000.

I find it downright interesting that this offer was removed due to "excess demand" on a product which has not eveb shipped yet. This means by definition they were not sellig limited inventory and they certainly have the opportunity to purchase as many more copies as they choose to meet essentially unlimited demand.

If this was not a loss leader it makes sense to blow thm out fast and hard.

I am not sure with my own imperfect knowledge I can determine if they were making a profit at that price, but assuming they were, and Amazon is on a profit warpath these days, this change must be Apple compelled.

That might very well be a legal issue.

Rocketman

Mac o' sex
Aug 1, 2002, 11:06 PM
My guess is that anyone that sends in the rebate form will get the rebate, it just is not offering the rebate to anyone else.

nemaslov
Aug 1, 2002, 11:50 PM
Screw them, can someone fax me the coupon listing Apple rebate. They would have to honor it. Fax it to everyone or post it somewhere. My fax is 415.641.5500. Please fax it to me.

Thank you

Nebrie
Aug 1, 2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Rocketman

The answer is yes you can sue, perhaps even successfully for your full damages of $50. And it will only take 2-3 years and cost >$200,000.

I find it downright interesting that this offer was removed due to "excess demand" on a product which has not eveb shipped yet. This means by definition they were not sellig limited inventory and they certainly have the opportunity to purchase as many more copies as they choose to meet essentially unlimited demand.

If this was not a loss leader it makes sense to blow thm out fast and hard.

I am not sure with my own imperfect knowledge I can determine if they were making a profit at that price, but assuming they were, and Amazon is on a profit warpath these days, this change must be Apple compelled.

That might very well be a legal issue.

Rocketman

First. No contract was entered into, no agreement was made, no money was exchanged. This lawsuit would be dismissed immediately. It is retarded.

Second. I see you have never bought anything from Amazon.com or the web as often times, you are allowed to pre order a product. OS X shot up to #1 very fast and stayed up there for days. If anyone decided to wait, it's their own damn lazy fault. Amazon doesn't get your money till it ships, you had plenty of time to preorder.

LethalWolfe
Aug 2, 2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by nemaslov
Screw them, can someone fax me the coupon listing Apple rebate. They would have to honor it. Fax it to everyone or post it somewhere. My fax is 415.641.5500. Please fax it to me.

Thank you

This is going to work how...? Amazon will know that you purchased the software AFTER cut off and it won't honor the coupon.

As to everyone who is mad... maybe you should have pre-order your copy and not sat around twiddling yer thumbs. If you bought it and THEN Amazon tried to say "oh on, we changed the rules" you'd have something to fight about. But companies can alter promotions anytime they want to and its totally legit as long as the people already participating the in promotion are still treated to the "original rules" and not the "new rules."

Lethal

Battman
Aug 2, 2002, 03:21 PM
Hello friends-

I ordered 10.2 on the 29th, and later emailed to find out what the hell was going on. I don't think anyone has posted this yet, so here it is. Below you will find Amazon's email response to my asking what was up with this deal (nothing has been altered except for my name...this was just cut and pasted directly from the email). Also, if you chose free shipping, it is possible that you won't receive the shipment in time to send the rebate coupon in by 10/3 (the last date it can be postmarked).
And now, on to their email response:

Dear ***,

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com regarding this issue.

We recently offered a $50.00 promotional rebate for "Mac OS X 10.2
Jaguar." This item is currently available for pre-order on our web
site. Due to the overwhelming response to this promotional offer, we
are unable to continue offering the rebate at this time.

We will be honoring rebate offers for pre-orders of this product that
were placed on or before 7:00 pm PDT July 31, 2002.

At this time, we are unable to honor this rebate offer for pre-orders
that were placed after 7:00 pm PDT July 31, 2002. We apologize for
any inconvenience.

Since your pre-order was placed during the time period that this
promotional offer was posted on our web site, please proceed with
submitting this rebate offer per the instructions located on the
rebate form. Please note, these offers will be limited to one per
household. If you were unable to print this rebate form at the time
of purchase, please contact us; we will send you the necessary link
to print this promotional offer.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Best regards,

Michele Thiel
Amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection
http://www.amazon.com

GPTurismo
Aug 2, 2002, 04:20 PM
Two words

False Advertising. No where on the coupon does it say they reserve the right to refuse. I just checked. So by law, they have to honor it. I am going to call them and raise a big stink about it, because if they say it's good from X date to X date and do not put any small print on the actual coupon, which is illegal in some states... they have to honor it.

:D

mdman
Aug 2, 2002, 05:53 PM
I got the same canned reply for Amazon that Battman got. I sent a reply, but I doubt anyone will read it.

As far as lawsuits go, I'm pretty sure that one would be a hard one to pull off.

But remember bad press is sometimes worse than a lawsuit. The next time someone you know goes to buy something off Amazon, tell them your story, and advise them to shop someplace else.

Also you can contact the Better Business Bureau, and I would think your state attorney general. I know I had an incident with UPS and contacted the BBB. Very shortly after contacting the BBB, I heard from UPS.

Laws very from state to state, they might be at fault in at least one of the 50, and may have to provide the rebate at least to a limited number of people in certain states. :confused:

I really wouldn't care, if apple hadn't shafted me with no upgrade price on 10.2. I just switched to Apple from M$ in April, to get off the software as a service/upgrade cycle. I love my mac, but I will think long and hard before reinvesting in Apple after this. Maybe if my "faith" wasn't shaken so soon after switching, I wouldn't feel the same way. And I won't even go into the mac.com email address. It took me the last 2 months just to get everyone to start emailing me at that email address, ugh. (sorry didn't mean to digress)

Cheers :)

GPTurismo
Aug 2, 2002, 07:37 PM
Also, they changed the coupon to not have os x and they also changed the bin number for os x.2 so it doesn't match.

How dirty indeed.

AlphaTech
Aug 2, 2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by mdman
I really wouldn't care, if apple hadn't shafted me with no upgrade price on 10.2. I just switched to Apple from M$ in April, to get off the software as a service/upgrade cycle. I love my mac, but I will think long and hard before reinvesting in Apple after this. Maybe if my "faith" wasn't shaken so soon after switching, I wouldn't feel the same way. And I won't even go into the mac.com email address. It took me the last 2 months just to get everyone to start emailing me at that email address, ugh. (sorry didn't mean to digress)

You got 10.1.x with your Mac purchase in April, so you are only purchasing one (major?) upgrade (note, it's not really an update).

IF you had purchased a new Mac last year, and then payed full price for the 10.1 update THEN you MIGHT have something to biatch about.

Look at it like this (from the m$ world)... You purchase a pc several months before a new version of windblows comes out (say the computer ships with win2k, with heXPee coming out ~6 months later). Would you biatch if m$ charged ~$130 for the update to heXPee??

GPTurismo
Aug 2, 2002, 07:51 PM
:O

Maybe if enough of us emailed them and caused a media blitz... :)

Dirty Business at work

This is the email I just sent them. I typed it out real fast so it might not make sense O:-)

============

Mac OS 10.2

Good afternoon. I was going to purchase Mac OS X 10.2 from you and use your
rebate coupon. Today, someone told me that you discontinued the rebate on
the 31st of last month at 7 pm Pacific time.

Not to be rude, but it specifically states on the coupon that to recieve my
rebate, that

1. Purchase any of the above stated products from Amazon.com between
7/25/02 and /09/03/02.

To my surprise, you have released a new coupon without Mac OS X AND changed the bin number of OS X 10.2

This particularly upsets me because I had to wait until this Friday so i
could ensure that I had the funds to purchase this product. It also upsets
me that you released a coupon with no statement of possibility of changes to
increase your sales of a product and then change the quailifications of the
rebate, even though it clearly has no language on the said coupon that you
reserve the right to change qualifications, at your own pleasing. Then, for you to re release the form excluding Mac OS X and change the bin number of the product of the last two characters from 32 to s2. To me,
that comes as false advertising, shows a lack of respect towards your
customers, most importantly, potential customers, and is very dirty, and dishonoring of a company. The company I work for buys many books from you, and many people close to me. But I will make sure they don't buy from a company that does dirty business as to decieving people as you do. Especially with so many companies being revealed to have corrupt ethics, and espeically those corrupt ethics of cheating consumers.

So please respond as soon as possible and inform me of the situation, and I
do hope that this email does not go unanswered, or answered in a way that
would imply insincerity and injustices to consumers as a whole.

All I ask if for you to honor the deal you offered, and to practice
good business.

Finally, this is very dis heartening that it seems another company has tricked the average consumer by releasing
promotion materials without the full desire to fullfil them.

Thank you,
MY NAME HERE

Royal Pineapple
Aug 3, 2002, 12:57 AM
nicelly put, i especally like the part about the other companys being dishonest. i hope that they decide to honor your purchase

GPTurismo
Aug 3, 2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Royal Pineapple
nicelly put, i especally like the part about the other companys being dishonest. i hope that they decide to honor your purchase

I think we all need to start sending in emails just like that or very very similar.

Just to put the pressure on them, and to send copies to CNET, Ziff Davis, CNN and a bunch of other companies.

because we are a smaller market they think they can get away with it.

awrc
Aug 3, 2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe

This is going to work how...? Amazon will know that you purchased the software AFTER cut off and it won't honor the coupon.

What I found amusing was that as of the night of Sunday 28th, Jaguar was top of their "Movers And Shakers" list, with sales up 20,000%.

In other words, there's a bunch of people who pre-ordered it the instant they saw the coupon without even checking the coupon dates and who, if they hadn't pulled the coupon, wouldn't have qualified for the rebate anyway.

I personally held off on ordering because of past pre-ordering experience at Amazon - by the middle of the day on the 30th, if you added Jaguar to your cart it showed "Expected To Ship: August 25th" which kinda suggested the demand was so overwhelming they didn't even think fhey could fill all the pre-orders on the day of release. I figured at that rate I'd pre-order it and end up receiving it sometime in early September.

So, for now, it's ordered from Apple, at full price, with their extortionate overnight shipping (which I suppose evens things out for all the free Fedex Ground shipping), and sales tax. Total cost is roughly twice what it would have cost from Amazon with Super Slow Saver Shipping and the now-extinct rebate. Oh well.

#Johnny5
Aug 3, 2002, 02:27 PM
I downloaded the original rebate form before it was pulled. It says "Purchase [the products listed on the rebate form] from Amazon.com between 7/29/02 and 9/3/02"So I thought it wouldn't matter if they're not offering it on their site anymore, they should still honor it. And since they're not responding to emails, and haven't officially stated that the rebate is off, then it should still fly, right?. Wrong. They changed their "ASIN." I know someone mentioned it before, but I'll be more specific. The rebate lists "B00006F732" for Jaguar's ASIN. But if you buy it from Amazon now, it lists with ASIN "B00006F7S2" so that it's no longer valid to use the rebate with it. Sons of bitches. Oh well... it would probably be Christmas before we saw our copies ship anyway, since they got so many orders.

I'm still pissed, though.

humantech
Aug 3, 2002, 08:18 PM
Look-
Cost on Jaguar is somewhere in the $105 dollar range for Tier A resellers ( I am one-, so I see these costs daily) _ Amazon probably thought they could drive site traffic and lose a few dollars on the sales as a trade for people coming to their site- What probably happened is that they sold WAY more than they thought, and they probably didnt convert many of those customers to other sales, so they basically lost more money with each transaction--- It probably got more expensive than they could bear, so they recalled the rebate- Lets put this into a real world perspective we can all relate to. You or I, at our Day jobs, Decide we'll give a free labor promotion for thirty days on labor bills up to 50 dollars. We hope this will give us lots of foot traffic from people who will buy other products and services for us. We figure " Heck, it may lose us a few dollars short term, but gain us additional revenue and clients long term. In the first week of the promotion, not only do we get no additional sales of labor or products, but we actually arent able to service our normal clientelle because the phone is ringing off the hook with cheapskates calling not wanting anything but the free labor promo. After a week of this, although we feel bad about it, the sad truth is, as a business decision, we decide to pull the promo as we CANT AFFORD TO DO IT. And that doesnt take into account a stock based company, whose board of directors and stockholders probably have a coronary at the very thought of losing more money with each sale. Thats just bad business.
Having said that, I for one am glad amazon got burned on this one, and have no sympathy for them on it. As an Apple authorized specialist who has spent many years learning to troubleshoot Macs, repair them, design systems and take wonderful care of my customers over a long term relationship, I thought this rebate was a very LOW way for them to break the MAP pricing we all subscribe to, and cut smaller businesses with better customer service out of the equation. I guarantee you that with the rebate going on, no one who saw it thought of their local mac shop that would take better care of them than Amazon, at a fair price, with an Honest deal. I hope they have to fill 2 million orders at a loss of $55 per order.
Helping you to STICK IT TO THE MAN- Tech :-)

jg3
Aug 4, 2002, 09:50 PM
Forget about rebates! CompUSA is charging many times over MAP! Check it out:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=295690

CompUSA Price: $82,402.02

galstaph
Aug 5, 2002, 01:54 AM
I think even though it sucks, Amazon does have the right to change the details of a promotion without consulting it's buying public. Sad as it is we have to take the hit and pay full (or educational :D) price for jaguar.

LOL gotta love that CompUSA "bargain" pricing ;)

Battman
Aug 5, 2002, 08:04 AM

drastik
Aug 5, 2002, 10:29 AM
Little off subject ,but hey, why not?

I was wondering if Apple certified resellers are bound to honor the Educational and Gov't discounts. We have a wonderfull little Mac shop here in nashville (probably why the only Tennessee Apple Store is in memphis) and they have a good, long standing relationship with apple (resale, repair, the whole deal) and I have a good, long standing relationship with them, so I'd love to buy there. My Gov't disount is too good to pass up, though.

voicegy
Aug 5, 2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Nebrie

First. No contract was entered into, no agreement was made, no money was exchanged. This lawsuit would be dismissed immediately. It is retarded.

Actually, we don't use "retarded" anymore...it's "developmentally disabled." Please make a note of it.;)

Oh, Jag-u-wire, if you only knew how in demand you were...for the right price.