Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Through my RSS feeds, I came across some video lectures on the Yahoo Developer Network site that has some video lectures from Douglas Crockford on JavaScript. I've only watched Chapter 2 so far. Even I picked up on some new bits of knowledge, like Sun (now Oracle) owns the trademark to the name JavaScript, which is why Microsoft had to name their version JScript. Also, it was originally called LiveScript and ECMAScript came later.

One topic is about ECMAScript 5 (ES5) and some of the changes made that we will eventually be able to take advantage of in our JavaScript coding. It's also a bit of a history lesson, but there's nothing wrong with that. There's also some talk about how to support older browsers and continuing remarks about "fixing" the IE6 problem.

If you've never heard of Doug, he's a pretty smart guy at Yahoo, and is easy to listen to and understand. If you develop JavaScript, you'll likely be able to take something away from these videos.

Here is Chapter 2 of the series. Doug has more lectures planned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.