Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Graeme Devine of idsoftware.com updated his plan yesterday with reports of Doom (presumably 3):

Hey.

We will be releasing the Macintosh Quake 3 client hand in hand with the Win32 / Linux clients. We'll also require Mac OS X 10.1 or later for this release.

DOOM is up and running under 10.2, which as an OS is really quite cool (speed is much better than 10.1, although resizing a browser window is still painful).

EddieB

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2002
Quake 3 already out?

Quake 3 arena is already out isn't it?
Is Quake 3 different then arena?
Or do they mean Quake 4?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Quake 3 already out?

Originally posted by EddieB
Quake 3 arena is already out isn't it?
Is Quake 3 different then arena?
Or do they mean Quake 4?

newest version of 3, I think.

arn

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
It's great to see a couple of good wintel games been ported to x, good for the switch ain't it :D

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Re: Quake 3 and Doom 3 OS X

Originally posted by arn
DOOM is up and running under 10.2
[/i]

Well that's good news.

I wonder what the min. system specs will be. Probably through the roof. :)

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Drop by drop the OSX softwares are comming out. Not fast enought yet. 80% of my software still OS 9 only.

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Well considering that the GPU is doing most of the work in most modern pixel/vertex shaded games, most of the current PowerMacs should do just fine if they have a competent graphics card. Will be interesting to see the benchmarks across both systems though.

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
Sys. Req.

Quake 3 Arena runs pretty damn well on my iBook 500Mhz for such a new game. Thats all thanks to id's awesome code writing master John Carmack. However, Doom 3 will not run on anything less than a GeForce 3 or equal. This may seem high, but take one look at some recent screen shots and you'll think you were watching a Pixar movie. It's like nothing we've seen before. The leap DOOM 3 will make in video game visual realism is going to be a jump from todays games like OS X was from 9.
I heard somewhere that todays games (quake 3) use in the 10's of thousands of polygons per character or something like that. The movie Shrek used about 3 million polygons per character. DOOM 3 will use about 1 million polygons per character. That puts it in perspective, even if the numbers are a few thousand off.

cooter

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
in the world of dreams
i read somewhere where Carmack said PC version of Doom 3 would need a Geforce 3 and a 2ghz pentium to run. i dont know if that was he recommended specs or minimum.

also of note, the custom apps they used to make the game were created on OS X.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Nevertheless, it's going to eat up GPU cycles like Oprah Winfrey on a beef binge. I heard that it'll use up to 80megs worth of textures too, so that 64meg video card just won't cut it (u need a geforce 4)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.