PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia 6800 AGP

simie
Aug 29, 2004, 09:16 AM
Hi all

Thinking about what the specs were for the NVidia 6800 Ultra DDL - The most obvious we all want to know is whats the core clock speed, compared to the PC versions which range from 350 Mhz 450Mhz clocked. After searching the net I came across this information from xlr8yourmac.

Here is the link to the original article

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/nvidia_Mac_6800_ultraQandA.html

The Apple cards run at 400/550, just like the GeForce 6800 Ultra GPU on the PC.

Sounds like their may no control panel for tweaking the card for both performance ans stability.

Quite an interesting read, I am sure you will agree.

:cool: Simie

MacsRgr8
Aug 29, 2004, 04:28 PM
There are quite alot of GeForce 6800 threads on these boards... especially in the "Gaming" section.

I think it is gr8 that the best OpenGL 3D accelerated grfx card around, is (almost) available for the Mac, but unfortunate that there will be no 3D override settings like the ATi cards do have. I really love that feature on them!
I've ordered one, expecting the world from it. Every game availabe to date should run easily at 1600 x 1200 rez. with high details on my Dual 1.8 GHz G5, and expect my soon-to-order-Doom3 ( :D ) to run well on it!

keysersoze
Aug 29, 2004, 04:58 PM
I've ordered one, expecting the world from it. Every game availabe to date should run easily at 1600 x 1200 rez. with high details on my Dual 1.8 GHz G5, and expect my soon-to-order-Doom3 ( :D ) to run well on it!

If we ever see them (the 6800 AND Doom 3)! Those wonderful toys keep getting delayed further and further away. I for one will not be getting it, but hope they come out sooner than later for all the folks that are getting them! Especially since the 30inchers are due in September... it would be frustrating having that set up and not be able to use it!

Edit: For spelling like a 1st grader

MacsRgr8
Aug 29, 2004, 05:13 PM
Especially since the 30inchers are do in September... it would be frustrating having that set up and not be able to use it!

Exactly.

Imagine Apple having tons of 30" screens in store but no GeForce 6800 to be able to connect them to.

:eek: IMHO... me thinks that situation is actually a reality already. I believe Apple can deliver the 30" anytime they want.... but where's the grfx card?
Frustrating.

My wait for that card is about the same wait as for Doom 3. I have the OEM 9800 (128 MB VRAM) installed in my G5 now, and am pleased with it! Especially since those ATi 3D override settings are now made availabe for OEM cards too tnx to the Radeon Enabler (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23472) .
But judging from the performance on PC's (OpenGL, that is) this card should be a screamer! And even makes a 30' a possibility... (drool).

All games running on my Mac now are running superbly om my setup, but Doom 3 will be raising the standard, and I want to be able to let my Mac stand up for the challenge! ;)

keysersoze
Aug 29, 2004, 06:44 PM
Exactly.

All games running on my Mac now are running superbly om my setup, but Doom 3 will be raising the standard, and I want to be able to let my Mac stand up for the challenge! ;)

I'm right there with you... I think the 6800 would be kick-ass, however I think it might be overkill for my "lowly" 1.6. My Radeon 9800 SE should at least make Doom playable at a high level... I hope! :rolleyes:

Or maybe I'll just play it 2 years from now... when the hw has caught up :)

GUSTO
Aug 29, 2004, 07:49 PM
Anyone know if the new ATI X800 is coming to the mac? it is supposed to be alot better than the Nividia 6800 according to ATI site ;)

vraxtus
Aug 29, 2004, 08:09 PM
Anyone know if the new ATI X800 is coming to the mac? it is supposed to be alot better than the Nividia 6800 according to ATI site ;)

It's not, at least for OpenGL apps. All the tests at Anandtech, HardOcp and even Tom's Hardware all show that the X800 underperforms compared to the 6800... that said I'm still an ATI fan... screw nVidia! :D

broken_keyboard
Aug 29, 2004, 08:27 PM

The X800 is faster in DirectX games and the 6800 is faster in OpenGL. Mac uses OpenGL. I guess it comes down to which API the hardware matches more closely.