PDA

View Full Version : Macrumors Warcraft 3 Headcount

Macmaniac
Aug 1, 2002, 05:05 PM
I was wondering who in Macrumors plays War3, if you play Bnet please list you name.
Also tell us a little bit about your playin style and favorite race.

Come to Channel Macrumors so we can get games goin!

XDarkSniperX
My favorite race is Night Elves and I go for the Huntress Rush. I used to like Humans but they too weak:(

spuncan
Aug 1, 2002, 05:34 PM
hey Darksniper
um well my w3 names is spuncan (duh) :rolleyes:

uh my fav. race is now the orcs using a medium build and counter or rush grunt/raider, blademaster, and shamans (mmm bloodlust)
I used to use undead but i decided i like orcs much better for various reasons.
I also beleive that n.e. is suxxor due to their highly instant rushability that no fun a retarded. :(
I've played one (unofficial) clan game which we lost do to what we speculate was cheating unfortunaty I forgot along w/ my teamates to save a replay but no matter.

job
Aug 1, 2002, 05:43 PM
I'd play on Bnet if it would ********* work. :mad:

I have version 1.01 and every time I try to log onto Bnet it says "Downloading Update" then "Downloading Failed."

Wtf is going on?

Durandal7
Aug 1, 2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by hitman
I'd play on Bnet if it would ********* work. :mad:

I have version 1.01 and every time I try to log onto Bnet it says "Downloading Update" then "Downloading Failed."

Wtf is going on?
Have you gone to battle.net on the web to check for an update? There may be a patch that you can download manually.

job
Aug 1, 2002, 05:56 PM
Yep, I've checked. The most recent version in 1.01.

I had to manually install the first Bnet update (1.00 -> 1.01) because the auto-updater did not work.

I'll be darned if I have to go out and buy it again just to play on Bnet.

Macmaniac
Aug 1, 2002, 08:49 PM
Yep, I've checked. The most recent version in 1.01.

I had to manually install the first Bnet update (1.00 -> 1.01) because the auto-updater did not work.

I'll be darned if I have to go out and buy it again just to play on Bnet.
Try calling Blizzard, that may be your best bet. It really sucks that it does not work.
I will add those of you who have replied to my friends list, be sure to do the same.

Spuncan would you explain to me why you don't like ne? I don't think I understand you. I think you say u don't like em because they have good rush.

8thDegreeSavage
Aug 1, 2002, 09:13 PM
Remove the program completely and the preference files(OSX) and reinstall the thing(it only takes five minutes) then download the patch direct from blizzards site, then do it manually, then hop on bnet.

spuncan
Aug 1, 2002, 10:04 PM
yes macmaniac u heard right i don't like ne for their rushability. Myself I liker medium rush that isn't like minute into game attacks or sooner more like 2 or 3 mins when u can actually build (guess thats just the nature of orcs). 1v1 online I agree ne is the only way to go other wise ur messing w/ ur first couple unis while ur enemy has 12 units attacking :eek:
Next time Im on (tommorow night) ill add u to my friends list.

job
Aug 1, 2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by 8thDegreeSavage
Remove the program completely and the preference files(OSX) and reinstall the thing(it only takes five minutes) then download the patch direct from blizzards site, then do it manually, then hop on bnet.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that tomorrow.

I'll post the results (if any.) :)

8thDegreeSavage
Aug 2, 2002, 03:30 AM
It should work after that..no way you have a bum copy. As long as your an OSX gamer then my advice is sound.

chibianh
Aug 2, 2002, 09:33 AM
Hello.. I battle.net, my name is chibianh. I don't have a favorite race, yet, nor or playing style... yet. As Macmaniac and a few others have witnessed, I have a lot of learning to do, lol. Anyway, everytime I am on battle.net I always drop by the macrumors channel. My DSL line has been down the last couple of days so I haven't been on. Hopefully, it will be back up when I get home today so I can spend the weekend catching up and hopefully get back to 50% wins.. lol

Tiauguinho
Aug 2, 2002, 10:01 AM
Hey guys!

Hey MacManiac and chibianh!

I'm also on battle.net and my name is Tiauguinho. I'm a Night Elf player.

Take care and see you guys there!

peterjhill
Aug 2, 2002, 11:05 AM
I actually was one of the (legal) beta-testers. i have been going through the single player stuff, but this weekend I will probably play a bit of bnet.

peterjhill
(peterjhill2 and peterjhill3 on diablo2 bnet)

cb911
Aug 3, 2002, 05:45 AM
yeah, i love Warcraft 3. and it's the first Warcraft i've ever played. my favourites are the undead so far. i'm sure the orcs are better though, but i'm only up to level 3 in the orc campaign.

Macmaniac
Aug 5, 2002, 05:36 PM
Orcs are weak when they start off, but they get really strong if you know how play with them. Night Elves are great at early rush, I love huntress rush:)

I will be back home in 9 days then I can play with you guys.
Typing on this computer in a cafe is hard IBM junk:(

zed
Aug 9, 2002, 01:31 PM
my bnet name is zether

im not on there much but i will drop by the macrumors room next time...

ive been playing the single player, about to finish it though

my fav race so far are the orcs, although I think the undead are the most interesting.

I havent played enough to develope a playing style...... so maybe you guys could teach me a thing or two :)

zed
Aug 21, 2002, 02:42 PM
i seem to be having a hard time running into anyone in the macrumors channel... guess ill add you guys to my friends list, might make it easier to locate the mac people :)

Tiauguinho
Aug 21, 2002, 03:32 PM
Zed i'll add you to my friends list! Hope to see you soon!

BongHits
Aug 21, 2002, 04:05 PM
im smokinabong-TDC (the druid council...im so cool :cool: ). favorite race is night elves, mass huntresses, a few druids of the claw, and presto i win :D
1.02 should be your current version (patch should be available from blizzard.com, wtf is going on?)

Macmaniac
Aug 21, 2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by BongHits
im smokinabong-TDC (the druid council...im so cool :cool: ). favorite race is night elves, mass huntresses, a few druids of the claw, and presto i win :D
1.02 should be your current version (patch should be available from blizzard.com, wtf is going on?)
What level are u? U and I would make great pards cuase we could hunt rush to death;) Throw in a star fall prietess and Demon DH u got one aswome team::D
I will look for you guys.
I'm currently level 13 and in the ranking of about 450-600 i depends how I do and who I get paired with.

BongHits
Aug 21, 2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac

What level are u? U and I would make great pards cuase we could hunt rush to death;) Throw in a star fall prietess and Demon DH u got one aswome team::D
I will look for you guys.
I'm currently level 13 and in the ranking of about 450-600 i depends how I do and who I get paired with.
im level 10 and as of yet unranked. whats your name ill add u to friends and well play sometime

peace

Macmaniac
Aug 21, 2002, 08:57 PM
XDarkSniperX
I will add you, look forward to playing!
I got to rank 300-400 tonight so happy:)

(Steals Bonghit's pants)

BongHits
Aug 21, 2002, 09:10 PM
XDarkSniperX

(Steals Bonghit's pants)
maybe you want to take me off your list...:p jk

Omad0n
Aug 22, 2002, 02:06 AM
Hey guys I play too, under the name GrammBadd and my fav. race is the orcs. I am on the US (west server) and yes it does matter which server you'r eon cause they';re independant. Think you guys could say which you're on?

robotrenegade
Aug 22, 2002, 02:30 AM
name is: deaddroid. I use human. I work at a middle pace and kill fast.

chibianh
Aug 22, 2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Omad0n
Hey guys I play too, under the name GrammBadd and my fav. race is the orcs. I am on the US (west server) and yes it does matter which server you'r eon cause they';re independant. Think you guys could say which you're on?

I think most of us are on the Azeroth (USEast) server..

btw, My fav race is human so far and I think I'm beginning to get the hang of things.. cuz i've been winning!! ;)

Macmaniac
Aug 22, 2002, 08:19 AM
I'm on US East Azeroth, XDarkSniperX.

No worries Bonghits it just a little joke;)
Thanks for understanding. Are you on East or West?

(Plans strat to get to level 14)

Omad0n
Aug 22, 2002, 05:43 PM
well if everyone is on the east server, I'll start using it instead. My name is GrammaBadd and please feel free to add me to your list, it's always nice to have a team game. Also what happend to the team {MR} where do I sign up?

Steve

Macmaniac
Aug 22, 2002, 06:40 PM
We had some probs with it, we are just individuals who are MR members. Look forward to playin with ya!

BongHits
Aug 22, 2002, 07:49 PM
ya us east over here...i made 11 :D

BongHits
Aug 22, 2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by spuncan
hey Darksniper
um well my w3 names is spuncan (duh) :rolleyes:

uh my fav. race is now the orcs using a medium build and counter or rush grunt/raider, blademaster, and shamans (mmm bloodlust)
I used to use undead but i decided i like orcs much better for various reasons.
I also beleive that n.e. is suxxor due to their highly instant rushability that no fun a retarded. :(
I've played one (unofficial) clan game which we lost do to what we speculate was cheating unfortunaty I forgot along w/ my teamates to save a replay but no matter.

how do the n.e. rush any faster than other teams? if u make archers...practically any other army can kill you if they're decent, and it takes time to gather wood to get the hall needed for huntresses so rush with hunters is pretty slow...but then again i love NE.

Omad0n
Aug 23, 2002, 01:56 AM
well since I'm switching over to the east server I'm loseing my rank. I was at 6. Oh well, be good to start fresh :) Look forward to seeing you guys on ther , and please feel free to add me to your lists, and then whisper me to let me know you're there.

scem0
Aug 26, 2002, 10:58 PM
Well i will buy wcIII next weekend. Sounds like everyone uses night elves. They sound the coolest, but the fact that so many peeps use them make me not want to. I will end up playing undead most probably. I play random in SC, ill probly do that actually :). I hope it plays really good in mac os 10.2, i just bought it :D. When I get it my name will probably be something like 'needtolearnWCIII' or something along those lines, but once i get good I will probably change my name to '-black-death-' - my current SC b.net name. Check my rec, it aint to shabby.

Macmaniac
Aug 27, 2002, 12:03 PM
I have had some bad luck with my team games(lost 8 in a row cause newbs left) SO I am mostly playing single 1v1 now, I am currently level 7. I use a DH with huntress and arcehers rush.

job
Aug 28, 2002, 07:22 PM
i'd play with you guys but skool has started so.....no time for stuff like that anymore....

Durandal7
Aug 28, 2002, 07:28 PM
I've been toying with the idea of buying. Unfortunatley I am about 50mHz short in the processor department and am not sure if I want to buy it only to discover that it refuses to run.

job
Aug 28, 2002, 07:43 PM
50 mhz short of 400 or 600?

im running it on 450 mhz with 320 mb ram. it runs just fine at the lower detail settings. i have a 8mb gfx card too.

Macmaniac
Aug 28, 2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by asurace
I've been toying with the idea of buying. Unfortunatley I am about 50mHz short in the processor department and am not sure if I want to buy it only to discover that it refuses to run.
I would not get it if you don't meet the requirements, It gets laggy on my 700mhz G3 and it will be really slow unless you have an awsome mac with a fat video card. If reccomend minimum 600mhz G3 or G4 with 16mb video card or higher, believe me a 128mb video card is sweet!!!

job
Aug 28, 2002, 07:50 PM

and it will be really slow unless you have an awsome mac with a fat video card.

not really, as it just depends on how high you have your gfx options.

i set all of the options to low, running at 800*600 at 32-bit color and i never lagged once. i even played through the last undead level without any slow down.

Durandal7
Aug 28, 2002, 07:58 PM
I was intending to run it on the lowest settings anyway. Would processor speed make much of an impact in something like this?

edit: 50 short of 400

job
Aug 28, 2002, 08:05 PM
I was intending to run it on the lowest settings anyway. Would processor speed make much of an impact in something like this?

edit: 50 short of 400

you will be able to run it, however, dont expect it to fly.

ive heard reports at insidemacgames.com that 333mhz imac users were able to get it to run with some tweaking.

make sure you turn "unit shadows" off and disable all the ambient sounds and music. this will provide for a large speed increase.

make sure you have a nice amount of ram and you will be fine.

i would expect some slow down in larger battles, but i guess that's to be expected.

Durandal7
Aug 28, 2002, 08:09 PM
You can actually get it to run on a 8MB graphics card? I have 16MB of VRAM so I should be okay there, I'm good for RAM too. Just the damn G3 processor isn't quite fast enough. Blizzard didn't put anything into the program that prevents it from running on systems below the requirements, did they?

job
Aug 28, 2002, 08:17 PM
You can actually get it to run on a 8MB graphics card?

yup. at 800*600 with 32-bit color too. :)

Blizzard didn't put anything into the program that prevents it from running on systems below the requirements, did they?

nope. it will run on your system that you described.

Durandal7
Aug 28, 2002, 08:42 PM
In that case I'll buy it. It should run on both my 333mhz iMac and my 300mhz Tower.

job
Aug 28, 2002, 11:36 PM
In that case I'll buy it. It should run on both my 333mhz iMac and my 300mhz Tower.

have fun.

if it's possible could you post your comments.

i'd be interested to see how it runs on your machine.

are you planning on playing it under X or 9?

Durandal7
Aug 28, 2002, 11:46 PM

have fun.

if it's possible could you post your comments.

i'd be interested to see how it runs on your machine.

are you planning on playing it under X or 9?

I'll post comments when I get the game. It may be a few weeks until I scrounge up enough money. I will try it under 9 and X but from what I've been reading performance is much better under 9.

job
Aug 28, 2002, 11:49 PM

I will try it under 9 and X but from what I've been reading performance is much better under 9.

yeah.

i've gotten far better performance under 9.

also the multibutton mouse option kills the game in X for some bizzare reason.

Durandal7
Aug 28, 2002, 11:56 PM

yeah.

i've gotten far better performance under 9.

also the multibutton mouse option kills the game in X for some bizzare reason.
Damn, I'll probably have to play in 9 until Blizzard releases a patch to fix it. I didn't buy a multi button optical mouse for nothing ;)

job
Aug 29, 2002, 07:45 PM

Damn, I'll probably have to play in 9 until Blizzard releases a patch to fix it. I didn't buy a multi button optical mouse for nothing ;)

heh. yea. :D

it slows performence under X to a complete crawl, even with USBOverdrive and other 3rd party utilities.

Durandal7
Aug 29, 2002, 08:11 PM
I'll be getting WCIII in about a week. Maybe less. I'll post a detailed report on performance under both my computers. I expect the Tower to outperform the iMac even though it has a slower CPU.

Even if it doesn't work well I plan on getting an iBook in the next year so that should run it well.

dreamlance
Sep 3, 2002, 10:32 AM
Macmaniac, I use the same rush as you. My favorite race is Night Elf. Humans were too boring in my opinion. I didn't try Orc yet nor had a chance to get on Bnet. What's the longest game you guys have played yet?

zed
Sep 3, 2002, 04:46 PM
my longest game was about 50+ minutes.

chibianh
Sep 3, 2002, 05:25 PM
50 minutes for me, too! Anyone got "cool" battles on battle.net? I'll put some on my idisk when I get home for you to see if you're interested..

buffsldr
Sep 4, 2002, 12:50 AM
Yo, yo, yo. Enter Sir_Fred. That is my handle. I play humans, because that is all I have ever played. I like it. I go mass footmen, with inner fire, and the mountain king. I am sorry, but when the mountain king gets his groove on... he is one mean fellow. I just cut through elves like butta. I will add you gents to my friends list. As someone else mentioned, it is really hard to bump into anybody on the "east" channel.

-Buffsldr

chibianh
Sep 4, 2002, 01:44 PM
You are right, buffsldr, it is hard to run into people on the east server. When are people usually on and playing? if anything, i'm on between 5pm and 10pm each night.. playing a game or two between homeworks. Look me up, i'm chibianh and I will play with any race! (actually, I move on to the next race after 10 losses.)

Anh

Tiauguinho
Sep 4, 2002, 02:04 PM
Hey chibianh! How are you?

buffsldr, I'll add you to my friends list! Hope to see you soon there.

Take care guys

Macmaniac
Sep 6, 2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by dreamlance
Macmaniac, I use the same rush as you. My favorite race is Night Elf. Humans were too boring in my opinion. I didn't try Orc yet nor had a chance to get on Bnet. What's the longest game you guys have played yet?

I would love to try orcs osme time but they have limitations that I can't seem to accept. My longets game must have been an hour which involved bases cahnging hands 5 times!!

I have been playing alot of custom games lately, Aeon stife is a sweet map!! Try some customs they are very fun.

The best hero with humans is the Arch Mage! Water elementals are awsome when rushing casue you can crate 3 additional powerful units with out wasting gold. Level 3 elementals just kill everything! A palidan can be handy as a second hero casuse he has armor aura and healing abilities. Nothing is more fun then having the enemy nearly kill a knight then bringing it back to full health:)

Durandal7
Sep 22, 2002, 11:21 PM
I bought Warcraft 3 today, that means I am now a card-carrying member of the clan. So y'all best watch out cause this crazed starcraft vet is going to be bouncing around on B.net playing Warcraft soon.

chibianh
Sep 23, 2002, 07:35 AM
we hope to see you on bnet, then!

Tiauguinho
Sep 23, 2002, 08:10 AM
Durandal,

What will be your nick, so that I can add you to my friends list? Mine is Tiauguinho. Hope to see you there soon, so that we all can play together!

chibianh
Sep 23, 2002, 11:44 AM
someone help me!! I'm on an 11 game losing streak on bnet! I need a new strategy and quick! What strategy seems to be working for u guys on 3v3?

Durandal7
Sep 23, 2002, 06:05 PM
I'll post my nick when I get onto B.net. I'm still in the middle of the Human campaign but once I beat the solo missions I'll let you all know.

BongHits
Sep 24, 2002, 03:16 PM

I would love to try orcs osme time but they have limitations that I can't seem to accept. My longets game must have been an hour which involved bases cahnging hands 5 times!!

I have been playing alot of custom games lately, Aeon stife is a sweet map!! Try some customs they are very fun.

The best hero with humans is the Arch Mage! Water elementals are awsome when rushing casue you can crate 3 additional powerful units with out wasting gold. Level 3 elementals just kill everything! A palidan can be handy as a second hero casuse he has armor aura and healing abilities. Nothing is more fun then having the enemy nearly kill a knight then bringing it back to full health:)
i can attest to the arch mage bein the shiznizzle...i have won many games with a rush of footmen (who are usually entirely wiped out) and a mage with water elementals...the mage is the only troop left standing at the end, but his water is like a non stop army...and when he's on lvl 6 with brilliance aura and water elementals at lvl 3, u cant touch him (teleport away before u die)

Durandal7
Sep 25, 2002, 06:55 PM
My B.net account name is Soleon and I'm on the Azeroth server.