Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
If so how'd you get it working?
Apple doesn't admit to having Bluetooth in the Apple TV so if anyone is getting it to work they must have "hacked" their Apple TV. The only wireless connection you can make to the Apple TV when using Apple software is over WiFi (for example, that's how the iPhone/iPod touch Apple TV Remote app works -- it goes over WiFi).

shaotse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Apple doesn't admit to having Bluetooth in the Apple TV so if anyone is getting it to work they must have "hacked" their Apple TV. The only wireless connection you can make to the Apple TV when using Apple software is over WiFi (for example, that's how the iPhone/iPod touch Apple TV Remote app works -- it goes over WiFi).

Definitely talking about hacking - been trying all sorts of things but all the tutorials are from 08 - I can't believe the Bluetooth keyboard/Magic Mouse combo isn't a staple for the :apple:TV hacking community:)

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
You basically can use either the iphone Apple Remote software or a VNC client on iphone / ipod Touch.

The problem with Bluetooth is related to system settings that have to be installed and also the pairing process.

What exactly are you trying to do ?

shaotse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
What exactly are you trying to do ?

I'd just like to have a keyboard/mouse on the coffee table (without a 9 foot cable) that I can use to search for programming, use couschsurfer with, etc. when I need to - Of course I have the iPhone remote app but I don't like it for :apple:TV as much as I do for airtunes around the house. I have one universal remote for TV stuff and I like to keep it that way:D It just seems that the bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse would be perfect companions for the setup.

From everything I see there was full support for this in 2.4 but it seems like the idea vanished last year when 3.0 broke it:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.