Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Katilea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I have a Blackberry Storm which has pop up suggestions when you type and an ability to do Autotext, so it will correct if you typed 'teh' instead of 'the' etc, you could also create your own abbreviations 'Hhu', for 'Hi, How are you?' etc to send in texts but it also worked in emails or any text box you typed into.

I am wondering if the iPodT/iPhone has the same inbuilt system to speed up typing or whether there is an App that does it and works whatever app you need to type into?

Thanks

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
I have a Blackberry Storm which has pop up suggestions when you type and an ability to do Autotext, so it will correct if you typed 'teh' instead of 'the' etc, you could also create your own abbreviations 'Hhu', for 'Hi, How are you?' etc to send in texts but it also worked in emails or any text box you typed into.

I am wondering if the iPodT/iPhone has the same inbuilt system to speed up typing or whether there is an App that does it and works whatever app you need to type into?

Thanks

Other than its own in-built dictionary, your pretty much stuck with that as apple doesn't allow that kind of app. Text Expander is the closest thing I've seen but I've never tested it.

If you jailbreak you can get Inspell which is brilliant.

Katilea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Ok Thanks. It's actually to go on the new iPad when it comes out, I'm trying to set one up as a communication aid with the app Proloquo2go (text-to-speech).

I have seen Textexpander touch and am hoping Proloquo will be able to be made compatible (as it shows on site other programs that can 'share snippets' with it) which should also speed up communication.

I might just have to use two seperate apps ie. Zentap for emails., SMS etc.

Incidentially I found a few programs called Freetext (or similar) which allows you to text via an email account (connected by wi-fi) so may work on iPad but it only mentions US phone numbers.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textfree-unlimited-send-text-messages/id305925151?mt=8

I wondered if anyone knew if there was a UK version of this App?

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Ok Thanks. It's actually to go on the new iPad when it comes out, I'm trying to set one up as a communication aid with the app Proloquo2go (text-to-speech).

I have seen Textexpander touch and am hoping Proloquo will be able to be made compatible (as it shows on site other programs that can 'share snippets' with it) which should also speed up communication.

Incidentially I found a few programs called Freetext (or similar) which allows you to text via an email account (connected by wi-fi) so may work on iPad but it only mentions US phone numbers.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textfree-unlimited-send-text-messages/id305925151?mt=8

The app sounds a little like Pastefire which works well and is free (http://pastefire.com/). You enter text on a web page which gets sent to your phone.

Katilea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
So I'd need something like pastefire for Blackberry then? If i accessed web page via ipad and typed in text to send to my Blackberry as a text message?

That could be a problem as I never managed to get it online, when I first got it I went to Blackberry Apps store and you could only access it with Internet Explorer 8 and I don't have Windows, which was annoying as i was told it was compatible with Mac, so it only gets used for texting.

There must be some service where you can use your PAYG account to send a text but do it from a computer, so it could be done from the iPad?

itsmyipad

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010

I completely get what your trying to achieve with the integration of all the system programs, something like EZKey's or WordQ on a laptop.

I myself am disabled so when the ipad came out that was my main interest in this device (communication) So ...Shortly after receiving my ipad, I went on a search for predictive software for it. And what I found was this program called ZenTap, I was so pleased with this program I contacted the developer Aram Julhakyan of ZenBrains.

I said to him i see alot of potential in your program, can I work with you to improve its functionality (I'm not doing anything anyway, so why not try to make someone elses dreams come true?

He agreed...

So here's where I'm at...Aram Julhakyan, is a very busy man. He not only runs a prominent software company (ZenBrains) based in Barcelona Spain but, he's also a teacher at the University of Barcelona teaching a class.

As of now I'm working on getting some other program developers on board with the "export-import" feature, but any help would be appreciated.

itsmyipad

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
So I'd need something like pastefire for Blackberry then? If i accessed web page via ipad and typed in text to send to my Blackberry as a text message?

That could be a problem as I never managed to get it online, when I first got it I went to Blackberry Apps store and you could only access it with Internet Explorer 8 and I don't have Windows, which was annoying as i was told it was compatible with Mac, so it only gets used for texting.

There must be some service where you can use your PAYG account to send a text but do it from a computer, so it could be done from the iPad?

Although I have no clue as to what your saying here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.