Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi Guys,

Brand new to the forum -- pretty excited to be here, because I'm about to purchase a Macbook (MC207LL/A), hopefully by the end of this week. Just a few high-level questions first:

1. Should I go with this model, or wait for the next one to come out?

2. I saw the Micro Center price is for $799 -- any better deals out there?

3. Is there a difference between purchasing from Micro Center, or at the Apple Store (assuming they'll price-match)?

4. What's the difference between the old style, and the new unibody style? Is palm rest cracking still an issue, etc.?

Thanks!!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
1. Should I go with this model, or wait for the next one to come out?

2. I saw the Micro Center price is for $799 -- any better deals out there?

3. Is there a difference between purchasing from Micro Center, or at the Apple Store (assuming they'll price-match)?

4. What's the difference between the old style, and the new unibody style? Is palm rest cracking still an issue, etc.?

1. How are we supposed to know?

2. Seems like an ok deal.

3. Yes, mostly on the return policy.

4. The construction, mostly.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
haha I knew I'd get that response on the first one. Just thought maybe you'd throw out an opinion.

I'm going to try and push for the price match. I've been a pretty successful negotiator, so I think I should be alright.

Re: the construction -- is the palm rest cracking an issue on the unibody? This was my biggest pet peeve with the older style.

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hey, good luck with your price match attempt and let us know how it goes! I'm going to try the same thing this weekend. There are 2 Apple stores nearby in NH where there is no sales tax, vs the MicroCenter that is in Cambridge, MA I think, so here's hoping to get it for $800 flat! Even if not, I'll just pick it up from MicroCenter with the tax.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
exactly -- worst comes to worst, I'll pick it up at a Micro Center.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
My first mac was the MacBook. I have to say it's more impressive than any of the half-baked slabs of jumbled plastic that all other OEM's offer, but still there are problems with it. The construction just is NOT that great, even my HP DV6000 feels more firm around the palmrest, sides and display. The display allows dirt to get between the bezel and screen, MAJOR annoying!

I'd love a plastic Unibody MacBook. They're so firm and well constructed, and for some reason when closed they seem more manipulable (and lighter) than the old MacBook, which I can't explain.

The MacBook Unibody is about as powerful as the low-end 13" MacBook Pro in most benchmarks, as well.

I'd try and combine as many discounts, student, military, teacher etc., to get the price down to about equal to Micro Center's $799 notebook.

Just a thought.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
I'd try and combine as many discounts, student, military, teacher etc., to get the price down to about equal to Micro Center's $799 notebook.

If they don't price-match, I should be able to pull off a student and federal government discount. You think they'll price match AND offer any other discounts? ;-)

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for this thread. I just purchased a Macbook this past Saturday and told them about the price. They said they would refund the difference, nice!

So to confirm your thoughts, they will price match.

troutspinner

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Troutspinner: thanks. I'll probably head into the apple store this weekend to purchase.

I read an in-depth review that one user was having warping issues with the bottom of his macbook with the new design. Has anyone had these problems? He also mentioned an abnormal noise coming from his HD. Any insight?

Striker-UMB

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Toronto
Troutspinner: thanks. I'll probably head into the apple store this weekend to purchase.

I read an in-depth review that one user was having warping issues with the bottom of his macbook with the new design. Has anyone had these problems? He also mentioned an abnormal noise coming from his HD. Any insight?

I have had my new Unibody MacBook exactly for a week yesterday and I absolutely love it. I don't hear any noises at all coming from the HD and it feels very sturdy and comfortable on my palms. This is exactly the same as the 13" pro specs wise, plus you get a 250GB HD. Unless fire wire, SD card slot and an illuminated keyboard matter to you, I think you will love the new Unibody MacBook.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
thanks Striker. Pending apple's $799 price match, I should have the macbook unibody by saturday afternoon.

On a separate note -- how do you guys feel about Boot Camp and running a version of windows XP? I think it'd be useful for work, (ie outlook, etc.). If I install WinXP through bootcamp, will I be able to then install a copy of microsoft office?

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
That's what I did. I run xp with office for work, and mac os for play. All of the regular windows programs will run fine, except one quirk, the macbook trackpad is horrible in windows xp, so you will absolutely have to use a usb or bluetooth mouse.

Btw, office 2011 for mac will apparently allow you to import your windows pst outlook emails into mac os.

thanks Striker. Pending apple's $799 price match, I should have the macbook unibody by saturday afternoon.

On a separate note -- how do you guys feel about Boot Camp and running a version of windows XP? I think it'd be useful for work, (ie outlook, etc.). If I install WinXP through bootcamp, will I be able to then install a copy of microsoft office?

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Btw, office 2011 for mac will apparently allow you to import your windows pst outlook emails into mac os.

ehhh. i've heard that any office for mac is pretty miserable. if i can, i'll stick with the windows osx office through boot camp.

is the boot camp setup easy? cause any slowdown?

cloroxbleach4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I don't know if you'd want a refurb or not, but macbooks go on sale through the Apple Outlet online everyone once in awhile for $749. I typically see it on techbargains.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
ehhh. i've heard that any office for mac is pretty miserable. if i can, i'll stick with the windows osx office through boot camp.

is the boot camp setup easy? cause any slowdown?

Why would you buy a Mac to then use it's every day functions in Windows?

Office for Mac is good software, I prefer Office 2008 to Office 2007. Just like I preferred Office 2004 to Office 2003. I don't know where you heard that it's miserable, but I think many people would disagree.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Why would you buy a Mac to then use it's every day functions in Windows?

Office for Mac is good software, I prefer Office 2008 to Office 2007. Just like I preferred Office 2004 to Office 2003. I don't know where you heard that it's miserable, but I think many people would disagree.

I dunno -- I've heard it somewhere... If you say its good, I'll give it a shot. There are other things on a PC that I'd still like to be able to run. I had to make the decision about switching to mac (which I've always wanted to do) or going with a PC in order to continue running the software I use. If I can use both, why not exploit that option?

Are there any reasons why Bootcamping WinXP wouldn't be a good idea?

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
So I went to the Apple store today and they refunded me $200.00 plus tax, Sweet! Of course I turned around and bought accessories because why would I want to actually pocket the savings???? :)

I ended up getting a DVI adapter, an incase sleeve and a magic mouse. Still pocketed $50. I am definitely digging this new mouse.

troutspinner

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
I am definitely digging this new mouse.

For some reason, I'm still wed to the Microsoft Notebook Laser Mouse 6000. I don't even think they make it anymore, but I've literally owned it for 3 years, have never had an issue, and only had to change the battery once. Not to mention, I love the no-click scrolling...not sure if the magic mouse has that?

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
For some reason, I'm still wed to the Microsoft Notebook Laser Mouse 6000. I don't even think they make it anymore, but I've literally owned it for 3 years, have never had an issue, and only had to change the battery once. Not to mention, I love the no-click scrolling...not sure if the magic mouse has that?

The Magic Mouse doesn't have a physical scroll wheel at all - you just slide your middle finger where the wheel normally would be. I don't have one, but I read you can change the settings for whether it emulates momentum or not, like the iPhone or iPod touch where you can kinda flick a page quickly and it keeps scrolling but decelerating.

Even if you're not interested, I recommend playing with one (and all other goodies!) when you hit the Apple store this weekend for your shiny new MacBook. :cool:

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Are there any reasons why Bootcamping WinXP wouldn't be a good idea?

I have absolutely no problem with running Windows on a Mac, I do it myself. However I was just wondering why you would use Windows for programs such as Office, which can be done just as easily and as well in OS X (if not better). Using Windows on a Mac for the simple tasks kinda defeats the point in getting a Mac in the first place, unless you needed a Mac for powerful applications involved with graphic, audio or video editing (which I suspect you are not, since you are getting the base spec laptop)

I use Windows on my Mac for programs that OS X cannot run (games, mostly). I think you should also be aware (if you are currently not) that you can acquire software for the Mac which allows you to run Windows (and many other operating systems) in a virtual machine, at the same time as running OS X. This is the way I do it, in a program called VMware Fusion, as I don't like being limited by either operating system and like the freedom to do whatever I please regardless of what 'home' operating system was loaded up at startup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.