Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinnerlys

Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Hello.

It's that time of the year again.

My brother has two Macs with different versions of iMovie.
'07 on the Mac Mini (MM), which is 154 km away, and '08 on the MacBook he got with him now.

He edited some footage, for me as reference to edit it properly in Avid MC, on his MM with iMovie '07 and the footage on an external HDD he brought with him.

Now we need to access the edit, but as it seems, iMovie '08 does not like or even recognize iMovie '07 projects.

Does anyone know of a way to get to the edits?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
There is no iMovie '07, do you mean iMovie HD? Some might call it iMovie '06.

If so, I don't think there is a way to access the edits, but you could probably watch it through the reference movie in the project if you right-click on it and view the package contents. I am not in front of my Mac, but I am pretty sure you'll find it in one of the folders in the project "package".

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
It should recognize it. Try pointing imovie 8 to the file and try open or import. If this doesn't work, your will need to export to .mov file format.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I'm not at my Mac right now, but I think if you go to the Import menu there are three choices: from camera, from iMovie project, and from archive. Select iMovie project and it should import it. This is in iMovie '09, mind you. I never really bothered with iMovie '08, so I'm not sure if it is the same.

spinnerlys

Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
There is no iMovie '07, do you mean iMovie HD? Some might call it iMovie '06.

If so, I don't think there is a way to access the edits, but you could probably watch it through the reference movie in the project if you right-click on it and view the package contents. I am not in front of my Mac, but I am pretty sure you'll find it in one of the folders in the project "package".

I didn't know that, as I never used iMovie for more than looking at preferences.
I was able to access the package contents, but there was nothing my brother seemed to recognize.

It should recognize it. Try pointing imovie 8 to the file and try open or import. If this doesn't work, your will need to export to .mov file format.

The project file is not selectable. I can't use export, as my brother is in town and the MM is miles away.

I'm not at my Mac right now, but I think if you go to the Import menu there are three choices: from camera, from iMovie project, and from archive. Select iMovie project and it should import it. This is in iMovie '09, mind you. I never really bothered with iMovie '08, so I'm not sure if it is the same.

I will give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks for the answers, but as almost always the answer came with iMovie HD, which I found on one of my external HDDs.
As I didn't knew, iMovie '07 never existed, I was surprised iMovie HD was able to open the project without giving me the finger.

All is well now.

Have a good evening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.