Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A company called Trade Privacy (via Fortune) reported today that Apple has successfully blocked public access to their shipping freight import records in preparation for the iPad launch.
As the arrival of Apple's new iPad approaches, industry competitors as well as the media will be unable to acquire early intelligence on arriving Apple products from overseas manufacturers. Apple, well known for their operational secrecy, continues to show leadership in the technology industry by protecting the iPad and future product shipment records.
Apple is said to have made efforts to protect their shipping records after the exposure of shipping records back in 2008 related to the iPhone 3G. Apple is apparently the only major electronics company to have done so. Microsoft, Sony, and Google continue to have publicly accessible records.

The iPad is expected to first launch in late March, though Apple hasn't yet provided any details about pre-orders or a specific launch date.

Article Link: Apple Blocks iPad Shipping Records from Public Access

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Why must they keep things so secretive.... Too excited to wait for mine any longer...

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (JB3.1, unlocked): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Another eye-rolling Apple moment. Think paranoid.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
It's shipping records...let them be as secretive as they want about it. They gave us an approximate date for the launch of the iPad. It will come. As the time approaches, Apple will make a big deal about the date.

lazymocha

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
Apple should have done everything in-house so that everything stays with them.

Outsourcing to someone else to do it will ended up how Foxconn are doing things in China.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
In house as in America? Do you really believe the iPad would start at $499 if it was produced in America? People complain about Apple's prices now, and production is in Asia.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Apple, well known for their operational secrecy, continues to show leadership in the technology industry by protecting the iPad and future product shipment records.

"Showing its true fascistic face" would be more like it.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Apple should have done everything in-house so that everything stays with them.

Outsourcing to someone else to do it will ended up how Foxconn are doing things in China.

I don't think Apple would want to pay extra money to have workers in the US assemble their products when over in Asia they can build more units for less amount of money.

Breckenridge

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Telluride, Colorado
Apple sucks lately. I loved Apple for what Apple stood for in the past, new fresh, supporting open source and transparent in most cases. Apple I am not getting an iPad and your iPad sucks for not supporting Flash. Go Android powered iPad killers. I am getting an HP for my KID WHO WANTS TO PLAY FLASH GAMES ON LINE, WAKE UP APPLE.

macaco74

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
this is a little over the top to me. I mean, they did say when it was being shipped (roughly). So what possible benefit do they gain by doing this?

Being secretive can be exciting when the products are announced, this just indicates a level of paranoia

RidleyGriff

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
To those of you asking "why", it's pretty simple -- every aspect of a roll-out like this is carefully choreographed to present the ideal market conditions for the item in question.

You have strategic leaks to the New York Times claiming the price is going to be $1000, then Apple blows everybody away with $499. Intentional? You bet.

You've got HP intro'ing their Slate product, but waiting on price until they hear about the iPad. You've got every other tech company basing their product response on what this single product does. Everything -- and I mean everything -- that Apple does in connection with the iPad is being monitored and studied for competitive advantage. That's not paranoia, that's just self-awareness.

Everything from the amount of units shipped to import dates has the possibility of tipping off the competition to retail strategy and/or affecting the AAPL stock price. Apple's secrecy is just good business.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Why must they keep things so secretive.... Too excited to wait for mine any longer...
The cynical view is that they probably do it to garner more attention from the tech media and fanboys.

A more plausible view is that they might want to conceal the number of units being shipped as their competitors might be able to forecast sales this way or see if actual sales reported later (demand) matches with manufacturing output (supply). For an existing product line with historical sales number, this might not be much of an issue, but this is a brand new mobile product line for Apple.

So many others have failed in gaining traction in the tablet device market. All eyes are carefully watching this launch.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

You'd think someone in Germany wouldn't be tossing the word "fascistic" around so jocularly... and especially use it improperly. Whatever.

Hey look this is really a Page 2 story, if that. Apple blocking it's shipping records from public view. Enthralling.

dru007

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
California
wow... apple is really going berserk. I used to be a big fanboy, have
a macbook, imac, iphone, time capsule, even an apple tv.... but this
is getting out of hand. Will definitely NOT be getting an ipad... am
looking at the the joo-joo or the notion ink adam, or maybe an hp
slate as a last resort...

Voltaic

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
It is possible they are trying to hide the fact that the iPad is not selling well at all.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

You are not getting an iPad because Apple tries to keep their shipping records private?

Terminal.app

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009

You should choose and buy a particular product because it best suits your needs, and for no other reason than that. All these posts of "Oh Company X is going down the tubes, I'm buying Product Y from Company Z instead! That'll show them!" As if Apple (or any other multi-billion-dollar corporation) is really going to care.

crackermac

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Stolen

Maybe some of their shipments are being stolen and they want to offer better protection. They've already said 60-90 days, it's not like this is some new secret. Why is everyone so quick to judge? Who cares?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Their shipping records are frankly, none of my business. Nor would I care. Why would anyone care? LOL

Their "secrecy" is an integral part to their creation of great products. It ultimately ends up benefitting the consumer. May it continue.

Apple partners that don't like Apple's policies about leaks and stolen products are more than welcome to head for the door, I'm sure. Their loss entirely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.