PDA

View Full Version : Best software for audio in documentary filmmaking?

gødspeed
Feb 18, 2010, 07:37 PM
I'm looking to get into documentary filmmaking, and I'm wondering what the best software solution is for mixing audio. I am going to be getting a Zoom H4n soon, so that's how I'll be recording sound.

For video, I'm either shooting at 24p or at another frame rate that I then conform to 24p for slowdown. I have Final Cut Studio, which does offer audio mixing controls, but I'm not sure if it's powerful enough to be an end-all solution..? How about GarageBand, Logic 9, Audacity, etc?

baypharm
Feb 18, 2010, 11:42 PM
I'm looking to get into documentary filmmaking, and I'm wondering what the best software solution is for mixing audio. I am going to be getting a Zoom H4n soon, so that's how I'll be recording sound...How about GarageBand, Logic 9, Audacity, etc?

Any of those programs will work. I also have heard that CAKEWALK DIMENSION PRO VIRTUAL SYNTHESIZER software is very good. But I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other. Also Quake is good. I've used that before. Probably for the Mac platform I would say Logic or Dimension Pro.

zimv20
Feb 19, 2010, 12:13 AM
I am going to be getting a Zoom H4n soon, so that's how I'll be recording sound.

why? If you're shooting to video, you should record audio to the camera alongside that video.

and what audio are you mixing? that's typically handled by the editor, in the video editing software.

gødspeed
Feb 19, 2010, 12:37 AM
I prefer to keep audio and video separate for a few reasons -- to avoid the AGC issues my camera (Canon 7D) has, being able to turn off the camera to replace the battery or card without interrupting the audio, and just being able to move the camera around without either worrying about cables getting tangled or having to buy and learn how to use wireless equipment. Sync'ing audio and video really isn't a big deal for me, so I'm not sure what advantage keeping them together may have, versus all of the advantages that keeping them separate does have for my purposes.

I'll know more about exactly what kind of audio I'll be mixing when I start, but I anticipate wanting to mix music, environmental sounds, voiceover narration, and interview dialogue in various ways.

zimv20
Feb 19, 2010, 08:14 AM
to avoid the AGC issues my camera (Canon 7D) has
pretty sure that can be disabled.

Sync'ing audio and video really isn't a big deal for me, so I'm not sure what advantage keeping them together may have
for sync. how do you keep audio in sync, for an interview / dialog?

gødspeed
Feb 19, 2010, 11:25 AM
Default AGC cannot be changed or disabled on the 7D by any preference, but the upcoming Magic Lantern firmware may fix it.

I might buy PluralEyes... otherwise, I can just clap on-screen before or after each take.

SFXsource
Feb 19, 2010, 02:58 PM
Logic 9 is fantastic and would work great, though there's a learning curve. Garageband, in my opinion, wouldn't be so hot for this