PDA

View Full Version : Recording Podcast Online?

realph
Feb 18, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hey there,

I've started a doing a weekly video game podcast with a few friends, we all come over every friday and discuss all things video games, this is all recorded in GarageBand via my Blue Snowball Mic.

I'd love a good friend to join in on the discussion, the problem is he lives all the way over in the states. Is there a way we can get him involved?

Audio Chat in iChat picks him up fine, though iChat audio quality is pretty bad. The pro is that GarageBand picks up the audio as a separate track and on a separate layer, which helps when editing.

Skype has an improved quality when doing Audio Calls, though it doesn't pick it up in GarageBand like iChat does.

I realise I'm not going to be able to achieve the best quality from a internet call, but I'd like to know how to achieve the best quality audio while at the same time recording it into GarageBand with the rest of the podcast.

Any workarounds? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

justit
Feb 18, 2010, 09:19 PM
Ustream it like the big boys (http://hd.engadget.com/2010/02/08/join-the-engadget-hd-podcast-live-on-ustream/)

Aniday
Feb 21, 2010, 10:27 PM
Don’t record over the internet. Far too unstable and the quality suffers. There could be a call drop, or a slight pause or disturbance. And that of course ruins the flow of the segment and you’ll have to pause and go back.

Here’s what my team and I do and it works great.

Have him record his own audio on his own computer. That way he has his own native quality and you’ve eliminated the recording over the internet problem. To make editing easy, have him and you press record at the same time so you’re nice and synched. Once you’re done recording have him send you his audio file and you can put it in Garageband with your own recording and edit away.

realph
Feb 22, 2010, 08:23 PM
Donít record over the internet. Far too unstable and the quality suffers. There could be a call drop, or a slight pause or disturbance. And that of course ruins the flow of the segment and youíll have to pause and go back.

Hereís what my team and I do and it works great.

Have him record his own audio on his own computer. That way he has his own native quality and youíve eliminated the recording over the internet problem. To make editing easy, have him and you press record at the same time so youíre nice and synched. Once youíre done recording have him send you his audio file and you can put it in Garageband with your own recording and edit away.

That's a brilliant idea. Thanks for the heads up!