PDA

View Full Version : voice recorder for video soundtrack

mbahundra
Feb 19, 2010, 03:46 AM
I intend shortly to make a documentary film. I have reasonably decent camera (sony XR520VE) but the sound on it is not good. I've a Rode StereoVideoMic, which is not bad either, although it picks up a lot of external noise - impossible to have it attached to the camera. Anyway.

At the same time, I want to buy a new digital voice recorder. It occurred to me that I could invest in a good quality one and use it both for voice recording (interviews) and for independent sound for video. In the latter case there would presumably be the two options of either using it entirely independently (ie using it something like a wireless mic) and bringing the sound in at the editing stage, or plugging it in to the camera as an external mic.

Any suggestions? Is this a good idea? Or not at all? If so, what sort of recorder? The top Olympus and Sony models seem to have good reviews.

Thanks.

gødspeed
Feb 19, 2010, 05:05 PM
The Zoom H4n and Sony PCM-D50 are both great options for voice recording, that can be used either as standalone recorders or connected to your camera and recorded alongside the video.

There are cheaper options too, but everything I've heard suggests that these are the best value considering the quality of sound they're capable of capturing.

I'm going to be getting an H4n myself soon.

deej999
Feb 22, 2010, 06:06 AM
The Zoom H4n and Sony PCM-D50 are both great options for voice recording, that can be used either as standalone recorders or connected to your camera and recorded alongside the video.

There are cheaper options too, but everything I've heard suggests that these are the best value considering the quality of sound they're capable of capturing.

I'm going to be getting an H4n myself soon.

Zoom H4n and PCM-D50 are both great locaion field recorders. Not very suitable using their built-in mics for recording dialogue for film. They are omnidirectional and will pic up plenty of background noise. Look into getting a directional mic on a boom pole or even lavalier microphones for dialogue recording.

filmweaver
Feb 23, 2010, 10:36 PM
Have a look at Edirol by ROLAND model R-09HR.
It is a pocket MP3 recorder capable of multiple recording qualities.
Has very good sound quality for a pocket device. Can be had at Best Buy for around 279+TX. You'll have to ask for competitive price match to get it for that.