PDA

View Full Version : Did Tiger say the right things?

the-oz-man
Feb 19, 2010, 10:12 AM
Right or wrong, did Tiger say the right things today? Does anyone even care anymore?

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
Personally, I don't care
I forgot there was even a "news" conference today

lionheartednyhc
Feb 19, 2010, 10:16 AM
Your begging the question by assuming there is anything right to actually say. Who cares what he says, its just posturing.

Clete2
Feb 19, 2010, 10:19 AM
I didn't watch it, but I will still comment on the whole debacle.

Tiger's affairs have been publicized to the point that it is the main topic of discussion among golf fans. I think that Tiger has disgraced the whole game of golf in doing what he did. Additionally, he has put himself in the center of much (negative) attention when he does start playing.

I'm not looking forward to going to the Masters and hearing "Tiger this" and "Tiger that!" I go to the Masters to watch golf and I don't want to hear about Tiger's personal life.

rdowns
Feb 19, 2010, 10:20 AM
Most rehearsed PR pablum I've ever heard. Who cares?

The networks should be ashamed of themselves. They actually covered it live and are now engaged in discussing it.

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2010, 10:22 AM
I think it is silly and extremely hypocritical for all the women to be seeking personal apologies from Tiger for what he did to them in deceiving them and making "promises" to them

They should each be issuing their own apology to Tiger's wife

the-oz-man
Feb 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
Here is a link to the story. They don't have a full transcript posted yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4927694

Yes, I am begging the question that there could be a "right" and a "wrong" statement. That's what these forums are for . . . discussion.

Big Dave
Feb 19, 2010, 10:29 AM
My 3 year old daughter called me at work to say that Sesame Street was interrupted by the Tiger Woods press conference. She doesn't care about Tiger and I definately have more respect for Big Bird than I do Tiger.

Peterkro
Feb 19, 2010, 10:29 AM
Most rehearsed PR pablum I've ever heard. Who cares?

The networks should be ashamed of themselves. They actually covered it live and are now engaged in discussing it.

You'd think with his money he'd be able to hire a PR team which would coach him in a half decent apology.The mans a git plain and simple.

Tilpots
Feb 19, 2010, 10:30 AM
That was awful. That seemed about as insincere as it gets. He called a Press conference to apologize? Get real.

If you wanna make amends, show it, don't tell it. Stop being a dick on the course. Stop fighting with the media. Stop bangin' every two bit whore who crosses your path. Start acting like a gentlemen. Pray to God or Buddha, that your wife and kids take you back. And get back on the course and play the GAME that's given you everything in life.

What a jack-ass. Trying to look into the broken camera and acting sad. That part at least was hilarious. Shouldn't somebody have motioned that the camera had quit.:p

Rt&Dzine
Feb 19, 2010, 10:32 AM
Why is he making a public apology for his private life anyway?

rhett7660
Feb 19, 2010, 10:33 AM
I think it is silly and extremely hypocritical for all the women to be seeking personal apologies from Tiger for what he did to them in deceiving them and making "promises" to them

They should each be issuing their own apology to Tiger's wife

Exactly unless you lived under a rock, how could you not know he wasn't a dad and a husband. Please.

yg17
Feb 19, 2010, 10:33 AM
Who cares? It's his private life, between him and his family. It's none of our goddamn business IMO.

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2010, 10:39 AM
If he were single and out banging skanks... who would care?
Other celebs do that all the time and there is no hoopla

This is only an issue because he is married and has a kid
So who should care? His wife and kid, that's who
Who should he be talking to and apologizing to? His wife and kid, that's who

Now, he can apologize to his sponsors for taking their $$$ on a false premise that he is a clean cult "face of the elite", but honestly... I don't care what he does in his life... he didn't let me down

mscriv
Feb 19, 2010, 10:59 AM
Like it is with every one of these celebrity situations, it doesn't matter what he says because there will be judgment and criticism regardless. He'll do what he decides to do based on the advice he is given and for us it's nothing more than a news report and a focum topic.

puckhead193
Feb 19, 2010, 11:01 AM
Who cares? It's his private life, between him and his family. It's none of our goddamn business IMO.

so the media will stop asking questions, by Monday this will be over.
I only wished he gave information on when he will return to golf. I'm sure the PGA and Nike is loosing a ton of money from this.

Melrose
Feb 19, 2010, 11:06 AM
I was never big on golf, so you can't really say I care, but whatever he says is going to be rehearsed and planned. Whether genuine or not you be the judge, but in the end he's going through the motions and in a year or so his behaviour will be just another late night joke, much like people look back on the Clinton/Lewinsky deal and laugh it off. Every celebrity, when something goes wrong (and only after something goes wrong) come forward, hold a press thing, and say "I'm so sorry." He'll back on the golf course in a year, back to his lifestyle and huge income.

If he's genuine, the best thing he can do is leave golf, for as long as it takes, and spend the time with his wife and kid if they'll have him.

IntheNet
Feb 19, 2010, 11:12 AM
I haven't followed this Tiger saga that closely but his "apology" doesn't seem to have gone over well; maybe it made things far worse... not allowing the sports media to ask questions, doing this just before a major golfing tournament, and the obvious faux element of self-imposed tears seemed patently obvious... some of the immediate reviews on "apology" are, franky, brutal...

"Tiger's apology included some of the worst acting since Ishtar."
NBC's Joe Scarborough Tweet
http://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/9342217237

Golf Journalists Boycott Tiger Woods Event
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/19/sportsline/main6222372.shtml

ucfgrad93
Feb 19, 2010, 11:19 AM
I listened to it on the radio this morning. It was awful. But I really don't care about it. He screwed up, but it is a matter between him and his wife.

Arran
Feb 19, 2010, 11:24 AM
Don't see why he feels the need to apolgise to all of us. Quite frankly, addressing "the world" in this way smacks of over-inflated self-importance. It's not like he's some elected leader that's broken our trust.

I didn't ask him to be faithful. I don't care if he's sorry. It's none of my business. He's only answerable to his family.

abijnk
Feb 19, 2010, 11:28 AM
I tend to look at these things as I do my own job. I realize that celebrity is different, but it is at least where I start from.

I would not be fired from my job or even really have my job affected if I cheated on my husband. It would be completely private and separate from the job that I do. So why should it be different for Tiger Woods?

I apply the same critique for doping or drugs. I could (and would) be fired for taking drugs and/or cheating at what I do. So why aren't athletes? But I guess that's an entirely different thread...

Tiger's celebrity and the fact that a lot of the money he makes (i.e. endorsements) depends on his public image makes it different for him, but I still feel this has been entirely overblown.

RawBert
Feb 19, 2010, 12:36 PM
The media's trying hard to ram this non-story down America's throat. But no one's buying it. At least no one I know. He's a pro athlete, why would anyone expect him to not cheat on his wife? ;)

Zombie Acorn
Feb 19, 2010, 12:45 PM
If I was Tiger id be hitting up the club to see if I could pick up some more women/stay in the news limelight.

bruinsrme
Feb 19, 2010, 12:50 PM
Why does he owe anyone one an apology other than to his family.
I would have been fine if he didn't say anything.

More people and corp exes need Tiger far more than Tiger needs them.

How exciting has the PGA without him, it doesn't even seem to be newsworthy.
JMO

maflynn
Feb 19, 2010, 12:51 PM
His handlers told him he had to do it, they set up the news conference, they wrote his speech and they rehearsed that speech with him.

the question is, why does he need to issue a public apology for his acts that only impact his family. I mean, I don't take out a newspaper add asking forgiveness when I fail to empty the dishwasher for my wife.

What he did is not going to get the media and people beyond his transgressions especially when this news conference was done in such a tightly controlled manner,i.e., no questions.

No1451
Feb 19, 2010, 12:53 PM
Why is he making a public apology for his private life anyway?

/thread

Nobody should care about his life, it's his life and he doesn't owe a damn apology to anyone.

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2010, 12:55 PM
Ok, so the media could not ask questions
Pretend YOU are the media... what questions would you have asked?
Are there any questions you feel need to be answered?

I don't think any questions about the women, number of women, current status of the marriage, current relationships, etc are warranted

The only question I think is pertinent at this point would be "when are you playing again?"

the-oz-man
Feb 19, 2010, 12:57 PM
The only question I think is pertinent at this point would be "when are you playing again?"

I couldn't agree more with this and really it's the only reason I was listening today. I just want to know when Tiger will be back on the course and this whole media hoopla will be dead and gone.

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2010, 01:13 PM
I couldn't agree more with this and really it's the only reason I was listening today. I just want to know when Tiger will be back on the course and this whole media hoopla will be dead and gone.

What little golf I watched, I watched because of Tiger's skill on the golf course, not because of his fidelity or lack thereof in the bedroom. I might question his choice of skanks to bang, but honestly, I don't care what he does off the course. I know his sponsors do, but that is their choice to sponsor or not.

I think he will be back for 1 warm up before the Master's

As far as the media hoopla, they feed on it and they create the hype because it justifies their job, not because we give a rat's ass about it

PS - I think he DID use performance enhancing drugs, and FWIW, to me, that is more of an issue and story than his infidelity

Tilpots
Feb 19, 2010, 01:20 PM
This is a public figure and a public matter.

He is not and has never has been a private figure. Who's money do you think made him rich? It's ours. He has every reason to apologize to the fans, to the kids who bought his products, and to the companies he was a pitchman for. Tiger Woods sold himself to the public, and we bought it.

So now, he does owe a public apology. Some of you here might not care, but you're probably not the folks who bought in. I know plenty of people who bought his gear, went to his tournaments, and gave to his charities. These people deserve an apology.

If I was a media reporter and had 1 question to ask him, as MacDawg posed, I would have asked him this:

When your children grow up and look back at the years AFTER these events. What will type of man will they see in their father?

Ttownbeast
Feb 19, 2010, 01:23 PM
Tiger would have been better off saying "**** and mind your own business bitches it's a personal matter and I'm cutting my losses" then split with the millions that are already his free and clear.

RawBert
Feb 19, 2010, 01:32 PM

You shouldn't hold celebs to such high standards. They're not holy. Quite the opposite.

Tilpots
Feb 19, 2010, 01:34 PM
You shouldn't hold celebs to such high standards. They're not holy. Quite the opposite.

BS. The world needs role models and this guy told us he was it. He lied.

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2010, 01:35 PM

Private life + Public Figure ≠ Public Matter

I understand that some bought into the "Tiger hype"
But that was a personal choice of theirs
I don't believe he owes them anything

Now, the sponsors are a little different... but still, that is not a public matter to me

As I said, I think the performance enhancing drugs is a much more intriguing and pertinent issue

Caveat emptor buyer beware
Choose better role models

Ttownbeast
Feb 19, 2010, 01:35 PM

He is not and has never has been a private figure. Who's money do you think made him rich? It's ours. He has every reason to apologize to the fans, to the kids who bought his products, and to the companies he was a pitchman for. Tiger Woods sold himself to the public, and we bought it.

So now, he does owe a public apology. Some of you here might not care, but you're probably not the folks who bought in. I know plenty of people who bought his gear, went to his tournaments, and gave to his charities. These people deserve an apology.

If I was a media reporter and had 1 question to ask him, as MacDawg posed, I would have asked him this:

When your children grow up and look back at the years AFTER these events. What will type of man will they see in their father?
So does this mean I should demand my money back because I bought a slap chop then found out Vince Offer punched a hooker? Or a refund for that mighty putty I bought (works pretty good actually) because Billy Mays had ODed on coke and dropped dead? Should I return any Ronco products I own because the company went bankrupt? I am not going to stop eating Wheaties because Phelps smoked pot am I? or stop shopping at Kmart because Martha Stewart is a convicted felon?

63dot
Feb 19, 2010, 01:37 PM
Right or wrong, did Tiger say the right things today? Does anyone even care anymore?

At least he broke his silence and some will respect him for that and forgive him. The other half simply don't care, or find his apology useless, or forgot already and are waiting for him to play golf again.

I am glad I am not married to him or that I am his child. That being said, Tiger has at least a couple of more majors left in him and many smaller tournament titles to be won.

By the time he retires, there will be very few records that he didn't break, and maybe the records he breaks are his own (over and over again). I heard a sportscaster compare him in fame to Ali, and while that's somewhat premature, Tiger can achieve that type of worldwide recognition.

RawBert
Feb 19, 2010, 01:40 PM

Yes, he lied. Get over it!

Gelfin
Feb 19, 2010, 01:51 PM
Tiger said something? Then no.

Honestly I'm more annoyed that the AP iPhone App thought this was important enough to alert me about before seven in the morning. Seriously, AP, at that hour there better be a fire.

leomac08
Feb 19, 2010, 02:06 PM

I don't think any questions about the women, number of women, current status of the marriage, current relationships, etc are warranted

i would have said this.....

"Mr. Woods, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul" :)

Rt&Dzine
Feb 19, 2010, 02:33 PM

Maybe the world should learn not to idolize celebrities/athletes.

swiftaw
Feb 19, 2010, 02:37 PM
i would have said this.....

"Mr. Woods, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul" :)

Nice Billy Madison reference.

Tilpots
Feb 19, 2010, 02:47 PM
Private life + Public Figure ≠ Public Matter

I disagree in this case. This is more than his private life. Tiger presented his squeaky clean image to the world and asked us into his life. That makes it a public matter. He invited us years ago...

I understand that some bought into the "Tiger hype"
But that was a personal choice of theirs
I don't believe he owes them anything

It was false advertising. In the least, he owes them an apology, and that's what he attempted to do today. It was sub par, and not in the good, golf, way.

Caveat emptor buyer beware
Choose better role models

Choose better role models? C'mon Dawg. A year ago, he would have been at the top of every parent's list. He was the BEST role model. Why do you think he apologized directly to the kids and their families in the speech? He accepted his position as role model and that's a major reason this is such a public matter.

Yes, he lied. Get over it!

You needed better role models growing up.

So does this mean I should demand my money back because I bought a slap chop then found out Vince Offer punched a hooker? Or a refund for that mighty putty I bought (works pretty good actually) because Billy Mays had ODed on coke and dropped dead? Should I return any Ronco products I own because the company went bankrupt? I am not going to stop eating Wheaties because Phelps smoked pot am I? or stop shopping at Kmart because Martha Stewart is a convicted felon?

Just curious, when did Billy Mays become a role model? The only two of that group who accepted the fact that they were role models were Phelps and Stewart. They both offered very public apologies and rightfully so.

Even Micheal Vick recognized that what he did to the kids who looked up to him was wrong. He is a public figure and he knows it. Vick also, publicly apologized.

mscriv
Feb 19, 2010, 03:07 PM
The defacto human condition is rooted in selfishness. Celebrities like Tiger are able to feed this desire with fame, fortune, wealth, and excess. Those who do not achieve this are often envious and jealous of those who have more than they do. Some impose moral expectations on the successful and then proclaim moral superiority so they can feel better. Regardless of the chosen attitude, there is a constant comparison game that gets played in the psyche and nothing satisfies quite like seeing someone who has "achieved" falter or come to ruin. I'm not saying this should be news, but understanding the human condition means knowing that watching the successful fall from grace will always be popular.

It's the nature of being human. We are most often both the authors and victims of our own undoing and boy do those around us find it entertaining to watch.

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2010, 03:18 PM
I disagree in this case. This is more than his private life. Tiger presented his squeaky clean image to the world and asked us into his life. That makes it a public matter. He invited us years ago...

Tiger's image and the products he endorsed was more "elitist" than it was "squeaky clean". His appeal was "be like me... elite", not "be like me... a clean living family man"

It was false advertising. In the least, he owes them an apology, and that's what he attempted to do today. It was sub par, and not in the good, golf, way.

He owes me nothing

Choose better role models? C'mon Dawg. A year ago, he would have been at the top of every parent's list. He was the BEST role model. Why do you think he apologized directly to the kids and their families in the speech? He accepted his position as role model and that's a major reason this is such a public matter.

He is a lesson in role models... everyone is human and don't expect them to be more than that

Tilpots
Feb 19, 2010, 03:30 PM
He is a lesson in role models... everyone is human and don't expect them to be more than that

Great advice, kids. Expect nothing from your heroes. They'll only burn you in the end. Can't wait to teach my child that...

We know they're human, and of course, to err is human. But to bang a dozen whores when you're on the road while the wife and kids are holding down the fort? That's more than erring. That's disgraceful.

mscriv
Feb 19, 2010, 03:37 PM
Great advice, kids. Expect nothing from your heroes. They'll only burn you in the end. Can't wait to teach my child that...

Your child will learn this on their own by watching the mistakes you make. That's why it's important to understand that you will be their primary role model in life. Thus, you better set a good example about how to admit it when you've made a mistake and how you plan to make it right.

Tilpots
Feb 19, 2010, 03:44 PM
Your child will learn this on their own by watching the mistakes you make. That's why it's important to understand that you will be their primary role model in life. Thus, you better set a good example about how to admit it when you've made a mistake and how you plan to make it right.

I agree 100%.

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2010, 03:48 PM

No, I am saying choose your role models more wisely, and guide your kids accordingly. For the most part, celebrities and sports figures make lousy role models... and many, if not most will publicly announce they are not, in fact, to be seen as a role model. It can't be avoided completely, but certainly there are better choices.

The higher the pedestal you place someone on, the more devastating it is when they fall... shattered pieces and disappointment.

I looked at Tiger as a great golfer, not as a role model for me or anyone else.
To me, a great role model would have been my late Dad, and more recently my Uncle. Human? Yes. Flawed? Yes. But I admire them both and respect them greatly.

abijnk
Feb 19, 2010, 04:00 PM
Who's money do you think made him rich?

What a ridiculous statement. He isn't paid form taxpayer funds, he is paid by companies. If you are implying that this "our money" stuff is from ticket sales or the like, then that is just silly, no one makes people buy tickets to sporting events.

Tilpots
Feb 19, 2010, 04:14 PM
No, I am saying choose your role models more wisely, and guide your kids accordingly. For the most part, celebrities and sports figures make lousy role models... and many, if not most will publicly announce they are not, in fact, to be seen as a role model. It can't be avoided completely, but certainly there are better choices.

The higher the pedestal you place someone on, the more devastating it is when they fall... shattered pieces and disappointment.

I looked at Tiger as a great golfer, not as a role model for me or anyone else.
To me, a great role model would have been my late Dad, and more recently my Uncle. Human? Yes. Flawed? Yes. But I admire them both and respect them greatly.

Almost all of my heroes growing up (besides my family) were sports figures. That's all I knew and all I did. Cal Ripken Jr. meant everything to me and to a large extent, he still does. You can't force role models on kids. They choose. Certainly not all athletes are role models, but some are, willingly. Tiger was one of them and that's what I'm talking about.

What a ridiculous statement. He isn't paid form taxpayer funds, he is paid by companies. If you are implying that this "our money" stuff is from ticket sales or the like, then that is just silly, no one makes people buy tickets to sporting events.

Lame response. I've already dignified it too much with a quote.

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2010, 04:21 PM
Almost all of my heroes growing up (besides my family) were sports figures. That's all I knew and all I did. Cal Ripken Jr. meant everything to me and to a large extent, he still does. You can't force role models on kids. They choose. Certainly not all athletes are role models, but some are, willingly. Tiger was one of them and that's what I'm talking about.

To me there is a difference between heroes and role models
I have sports figures that I followed, supported and cheered

But I didn't try to pattern my life after them
After all, I could never really know them
Yes, I could learn about dedication, teamwork and other similar things in a generic way
But I could never invest in them in a real and tangible way

My father and my uncle are different
I knew them on a personal level, and I could seek to emulate them in real life

You say Cal Ripken means everything to you
What exactly does that mean??
Do you know him?
Have you spent time with him?

RawBert
Feb 19, 2010, 04:54 PM
Are kids really gonna be traumatized for the rest of their lives because the immaculate Tiger Woods screwed up? I doubt it. :rolleyes: Get real. If a kid is that impressionable, then the parents need to monitor what's on TV or prepare the kid for the real world.

Abstract
Feb 19, 2010, 05:09 PM

"Hi Tiger, I have a question for you. Why the hell did you call this press conference?"

Bennieboyİ
Feb 19, 2010, 05:12 PM
oh the joys of airing ya dirty laundry in public, more fool to the people that actually care about such nonsense

Tilpots
Feb 19, 2010, 05:33 PM
You say Cal Ripken means everything to you
What exactly does that mean??
Do you know him?
Have you spent time with him?

No, I didn't know him but I spent lots of time watching him. I looked up to his work ethic and used it as an example to follow in my life. But really this isn't about me.

My main issue here is with the folks who think this isn't a public affair (no pun intended). He's as big a public figure as there is in this world. He knows he public figure, accepted the role, and betrayed the trust of the people. His public apology was warranted. The publicity surrounding this case was warranted.

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2010, 05:41 PM
My main issue here is with the folks who think this isn't a public affair (no pun intended). He's as big a public figure as there is in this world. He knows he public figure, accepted the role, and betrayed the trust of the people. His public apology was warranted. The publicity surrounding this case was warranted.

Betrayed the trust of the people? Really?
We see it differently, and that is OK

I see it as a creation by the media, for the media
The media creates attention whores, feeds their habits and then turns on them when it benefits them

All this circus needs is a big top, an elephant and bearded lady, cause it already has its clown

dmr727
Feb 19, 2010, 05:48 PM
He knows he public figure, accepted the role, and betrayed the trust of the people. His public apology was warranted. The publicity surrounding this case was warranted.

The only difference between him and most other celebrities is that he got caught. Not only caught, but in a manner that was a ratings holy grail for the media outlets.

Trust in him? He's not Tiger Woods, World's Spokesman for Monogamy. He's a golfer.

MacDawg
Feb 19, 2010, 05:52 PM
He's a golfer.

He doesn't even do that now

.Andy
Feb 19, 2010, 06:21 PM
He doesn't even do that now
Once a golfer always a golfer.

Ttownbeast
Feb 19, 2010, 08:06 PM
To quote Charles Barkley "I am not a role model. I am paid to wreak havoc on the basketball court
. Parents should be role models. Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids."

leomac08
Feb 19, 2010, 11:40 PM
To quote Charles Barkley "I am not a role model. I am paid to wreak havoc on the basketball court
. Parents should be role models. Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids."

agreed! +1 :D

Tilpots
Feb 20, 2010, 08:17 AM
Somebody please tell me that Tiger Woods, not anybody else, didin't position himself as a role model. All other athletes, stars, personalities, etc, are not who this conversation is about.

I am Tiger Woods. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAnlcW_ILyw)

MacDawg
Feb 20, 2010, 08:30 AM
Somebody please tell me that Tiger Woods, not anybody else, didin't position himself as a role model. All other athletes, stars, personalities, etc, are not who this conversation is about.

Tiger positioned himself to make money, not to be a role model
The media created the Tiger persona to make money, not better the lives of kids
It bit them in the ass, because he was not the person they hyped

Tiger is not a tragic fallen hero and role model who made a mistake
He is a hypocrite who was exposed for what he always was... arrogant, greedy, self-serving and by his own admission, someone to whom the rules did not apply

Tilpots
Feb 20, 2010, 09:01 AM
Tiger positioned himself to make money, not to be a role model
The media created the Tiger persona to make money, not better the lives of kids
It bit them in the ass, because he was not the person they hyped

Tiger is not a tragic fallen hero and role model who made a mistake
He is a hypocrite who was exposed for what he always was... arrogant, greedy, self-serving and by his own admission, someone to whom the rules did not apply

Well, that's where I'll agree to disagree. And like you said, that's OK.

Ttownbeast
Feb 20, 2010, 11:51 AM

Role models don't usually get paid to endorse products otherwise we'd be wearing things like Nelson Mandella brand Reebox, our kitchens would be filled with Ghandi brand cookware, Wheaties boxes with Ben Franklins portrait, or subway commercials with Carl Sagan.

Celebrities do these things--people mainly with no real significant accomplishment in particular to the benefit of society other than to entertain and distract.

bobob
Feb 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
Who cares what Tiger says - - that's old news. Here at MacRumors we should be asking whether Snow Leopard says the right things!

Rt&Dzine
Feb 20, 2010, 12:13 PM
Tiger did A LOT for the game of golf. The other golfers benefitted too. I don't care about his sex life and I don't understand why anyone except his family or sponsors would care.

Sedulous
Feb 20, 2010, 12:16 PM
"Tiger" is a pig.

bobob
Feb 23, 2010, 06:56 AM
Tiger did A LOT for the game of golf.

Like popularizing tantrums, cursing, and throwing clubs?

Rt&Dzine
Feb 23, 2010, 11:47 AM
Like popularizing tantrums, cursing, and throwing clubs?

Then why was he a "hero" (before his sexual affairs were revealed), if he was such a douche?

MacDawg
Feb 23, 2010, 11:48 AM
Then why was he a "hero" before his sexual affairs were revealed, if he was such a douche?

He wasn't a hero to everyone

Rt&Dzine
Feb 23, 2010, 11:52 AM
He wasn't a hero to everyone

I'm referring to the people who are crying that his sex life has shattered their trust in him.

bobob
Feb 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
Then why was he a "hero" (before his sexual affairs were revealed), if he was such a douche?

He made lots of people, lots of $$$.

Rt&Dzine
Feb 23, 2010, 12:06 PM
He made lots of people, lots of $$$.

Yep, in addition to being one of the greatest golfers of all-time and bringing a lot of new interest to the game. But he's no saint! :D

bobob
Feb 23, 2010, 12:10 PM

Yep, in addition to being one of the greatest golfers of all-time and bringing a lot of new interest to the game. But he's no saint! :D

i.e.: a douche.

Rt&Dzine
Feb 23, 2010, 12:33 PM
i.e.: a douche.

Back on topic . . . whether he's a douche or not, he shouldn't have apologized for his sex life to the general public.

bruinsrme
Feb 23, 2010, 12:37 PM
Back on topic . . . whether he's a douche or not, he shouldn't have apologized for his sex life to the general public.

I agree. Celebrity or not how do I rate an apology for what he did.

I don't agree with what he has done but its not my life.

I think the women involved are just as bad as he is.

Tilpots
Feb 23, 2010, 12:37 PM

Wrong.

"If you are given a chance to be a role model, I think you should always take it because you can influence a person's life in a positive light, and that's what I want to do. That's what it's all about."
-Tiger Woods (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/tigerwoods368915.html)

He needed to apologize to the people who supported him and to those he let down.

Rt&Dzine
Feb 23, 2010, 12:43 PM
He was your moral and sexual role model?

Tilpots
Feb 23, 2010, 12:47 PM
He was your moral and sexual role model?

You just broke the adage that says there are no stupid questions.

bruinsrme
Feb 23, 2010, 12:48 PM
No, I didn't know him but I spent lots of time watching him. I looked up to his work ethic and used it as an example to follow in my life. But really this isn't about me.

I must have missed the press conference where he accepted the role. Was he sworn in?
How did he betray the trust of the people?
He is a golfer, he gets paid for endorsements, his job is to put a ball in a cup.
What he does with his other balls is the publics business.
Perhaps the public let Tiger down. Where was the public to tell Tiger he shouldn't be sleeping around? If he so trusted what was done to ensure he didnt get in trouble?
I think the public should apologize to Tiger for not having his back. After all trust is a two way street.

Imagine you have an affair, your wife finds out. Should she call your boss and ask for you to be fired from your job because you broke a percieved "trust"? Or it is a private matter?

Tilpots
Feb 23, 2010, 12:55 PM
I must have missed the press conference where he accepted the role. Was he sworn in?

Yes, you must have missed it. Look up a couple posts to see the quote from Tiger accepting his status as role model.

How did he betray the trust of the people?

Read his apology speech. (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/19/tiger.woods.transcript/index.html) He laid it out pretty well.

He is a golfer, he gets paid for endorsements, his job is to put a ball in a cup.
What he does with his other balls is the publics business.

Huh?

Perhaps the public let Tiger down. Where was the public to tell Tiger he shouldn't be sleeping around? If he so trusted what was done to ensure he didnt get in trouble?
I think the public should apologize to Tiger for not having his back. After all trust is a two way street.

His friends may have let him down if they didn't try to intervene when they sawing him heading down this path. Kinda like letting a friend drink and drive.

Imagine you have an affair, your wife finds out. Should she call your boss and ask for you to be fired from your job because you broke a percieved "trust"? Or it is a private matter?

Tiger didn't get fired from his job. He's taking a break from golf.

Rt&Dzine
Feb 23, 2010, 01:01 PM
You just broke the adage that says there are no stupid questions.

IOW, your answer is yes.

MacDawg
Feb 23, 2010, 01:02 PM
Actually, his sexual prowess and exploits probably made him a hero to a totally new crowd

Although I doubt it will earn him any endorsements

gibbz
Feb 23, 2010, 01:03 PM
I think for all of the anger by parents, they should look in the mirror. If a child is looking to an athlete to be a moral guide and role model, then the parent is failing to exert their maximum positive influence. Certainly an athlete or celebrity can be admired and the child can dream to someday reach that level, but parents need to get more involved instead of leaving it people like Tiger. Unequivocally, parents should be their children's role models and should further explain to the kids when someone like Tiger falls form grace. How parents can leave life lessons to celebrities, athletes, teachers, and peers is beyond me.

mscriv
Feb 23, 2010, 01:23 PM
"If you are given a chance to be a role model, I think you should always take it because you can influence a person's life in a positive light, and that's what I want to do. That's what it's all about."
-Tiger Woods (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/tigerwoods368915.html)

How long did it take you to find that quote or at what point in this thread did you start looking for it? ;)

Sorry, I'm just "busting your balls" err, I mean "giving you a hard time"... %$#@! neither of those seem appropriate for this subject. :D

Actually, his sexual prowess and exploits probably made him a hero to a totally new crowd. Although I doubt it will earn him any endorsements

Now hang on there. How bold would it be of Tiger to become the new spokesperson for Trojan condoms. That would be sooooooo wrong, but soooooo funny! :p

@gibbz thanks for reading my earlier posts in this thread. I agree wholeheartedly.

Tilpots
Feb 23, 2010, 01:28 PM
How long did it take you to find that quote or at what point in this thread did you start looking for it? ;)

Sorry, I'm just "busting your balls" err, I mean "giving you a hard time"... %$#@! neither of those seem appropriate for this subject. :D

You don't need to apologize to me.:eek: :D

bruinsrme
Feb 23, 2010, 01:29 PM
Yes, you must have missed it. Look up a couple posts to see the quote from Tiger accepting his status as role model.

I am willing to bet if Mark MacGuires, Magic Johnsons and othe pros apologies were put into Word, your can cut and paste to make Tigers aoplogy

Read his apology speech. (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/19/tiger.woods.transcript/index.html) He laid it out pretty well.

His friends may have let him down if they didn't try to intervene when they sawing him heading down this path. Kinda like letting a friend drink and drive.
yeah but where were all the people saying he broke their trust. Where were they to help him?

Tiger didn't get fired from his job. He's taking a break from golf.

I beleive he lost a lots of endorsement contracts.

One thing to remember by a quote from his publicist, "Golf needs Tiger more than Tiger needs Golf", Max Clifford.

I am willing to bet that apology is tied to a sizable monetary gift to Tiger. tiger is big business. Do you think the PGA isn't hurting with his absence, now about tv ratings.

I am sure there are more people that are more concerned about tiger woods than their kids homework.

obeygiant
Feb 26, 2010, 10:16 AM
http://ewpopwatch.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/peta-tiger-ad_510.jpg
PETA plans to unveil this ridiculous billboard in Windermere, Fla. without Tiger Woods’ permission. This could be a major blow (or not!) to husbands and boyfriends who go by the pet name “Little Tiger” and do not think too much sex is a bad thing.

“Tiger has no formal affiliation with the organization and has not previewed or endorsed the ad but the image and the idea were too good to pass up when it comes to helping find homes for animals who will otherwise be left out in the cold,” PETA explained in a statement.popwatch (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/02/25/tiger-woods-billboard/?hpt=C2)

This is a little much. Even for the attention whores known as PETA.

rdowns
Feb 26, 2010, 10:17 AM
Looks like the storm is blowing over. He got a new gig today.

http://www.jokejerk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/tiger-lays-jpeg.jpg

MacDawg
Feb 26, 2010, 10:18 AM
I can't imagine that Tiger's image could be used legally like that without his permission (the PETA thing)
The Lays thing... LOL

CHAOS STEP
Feb 28, 2010, 03:17 PM
What he should have done is just told the World's Press;

"I'm effin Tiger Woods, I'm gonna do what I want, when I want and with whom I want, so everyone can eff off!"

He then should have run along the front row doing high fives.

He would earn some top respect for that. Let's face it, its a silly pantomime.

If he should have to apologise for anything, that should done in private with his wife.

KingYaba
Mar 1, 2010, 02:05 AM
Tiger looked robotic and his sincerity was fake.