PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking ATI video cards on OS X without BIOS flashes

oingoboingo
Aug 30, 2004, 04:18 AM
I just noticed this piece of news over at the xlr8yourmac.com forums. ATIccelerator II is a piece of software which allows dynamic adjustment of the GPU and memory clock speeds of ATI graphics cards under Mac OS X, without the need for BIOS flashing or rebooting. I haven't checked it out on my G5 1.6GHz / Radeon 9600 Pro yet, but I will in a few minutes. Check it out and see what you think:

http://thomas.perrier.name/software/ATIcceleratorII.html

Wes
Aug 30, 2004, 04:38 AM
Hmmm this sounds very interesting, I wonder how far it is 'safe' to take a 9000 pro. 5% too much?

oingoboingo
Aug 30, 2004, 06:23 AM
I have just overclocked my Radeon 9600 Pro by up to 15% core GPU speed and 15% VRAM speed successfully. There are some UT2004 Flyby benchmark scores in this thread in the gaming section:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1011881#post1011881

Wes
Aug 30, 2004, 06:49 AM
I'm testing out my 9000 Pro on Desert Combat (BF1942 mod, very good btw).

Tried 15%/15%, major artifacts on launch, quit the game and did a restart.

Started out at 5%/5%, running the game fine, turned cpu to 6.5%, still going okay, I'll give another update as to how it goes.

My card only has a heatsink, will it realise it's going to fry itself and turn off?

oingoboingo
Aug 30, 2004, 07:00 AM
I'm testing out my 9000 Pro on Desert Combat (BF1942 mod, very good btw).

Tried 15%/15%, major artifacts on launch, quit the game and did a restart.

Started out at 5%/5%, running the game fine, turned cpu to 6.5%, still going okay, I'll give another update as to how it goes.

My card only has a heatsink, will it realise it's going to fry itself and turn off?

Hmmm...not sure. I think you'll start to see graphical artifacts (like wierd blinking pixels and corrupted textures) if you're pushing the RAM too far, and I think the GPU getting too hot and angry mostly leads to lockups. It's been so long since I've been into the whole overclocking thing that I can't really remember! :) The rule is always to just gradually increment the clockspeed, see if things are stable, then try to add a little more. If you're getting long-term stability at 6.5% core, then it would seem to be OK.

Dale Cooper
Oct 2, 2005, 02:55 PM
Has anyone tried this on a 12" iBook?