Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
I created a VirtualBox partition (25GB) on my computer for XP. I decided that I didn't need it so i tried to delete the partition from my Hard drive. I couldn't find out how and I just deleted virtual box. Now 2 weeks later circumstances have made it so I need to put XP on boot camp. Now I try to partition my hard drive with boot camp assistant and it says

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." So I have 2 questions.

1) Is there anyway that you guys know how to delete the partition without having to back everything up (as right now I don't have an external drive to back up on [I know I need to get a back up drive]).

2) If I do find a back up drive, and if back everything up with time machine, will i lose any of the applications that I lost the codes for? And will it back up my partition that I can't delete?
:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for the help.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
That error usually means you don't have enough free contiguous space (all together) for the partition

You can try iDefrag, but it rarely works

Your best solution is to use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable clone on an external drive

1. Clone your drive
2. Boot from the clone
3. Run Disk Utility and erase the internal drive
4. Restore your clone
5. Boot from the internal drive
6. Run Bootcamp Assistant

Your applications will be restored with no issues

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have not used VirtualBox, but I don't believe it creates a partition, it should create a virtual machine like Parallels and Fusion do

If you run Disk Utility, do you have an actual partition show up in the left hand column for VirtualBox?

You should probably use Spotlight to look for the virtual machine file and delete it

Even then, you will need to follow the steps I outlined above to get ready to Bootcamp

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
Okay... I'll try to get an external drive. if it works I'll comment again here.

acolite246

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
Had a semi-similar problem, so before you get an external HD:

1. Insert your Apple Install CD
2. Reboot, but hold the C key until the Apple logo appears
3. Wait
4. Choose your Language
5. Select the Disk Utility option from *somewhere* in the menu bar
6. Click Repair Disk Permissions
7. Wait
8. Click Repair Disk
9. Wait
10. Click Repair Disk again, make sure it says something like "Success"

You should be good to go!

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Had a semi-similar problem, so before you get an external HD:

1. Insert your Apple Install CD
2. Reboot, but hold the C key until the Apple logo appears
3. Wait
4. Choose your Language
5. Select the Disk Utility option from *somewhere* in the menu bar
6. Click Repair Disk Permissions
7. Wait
8. Click Repair Disk
9. Wait
10. Click Repair Disk again, make sure it says something like "Success"

You should be good to go!

That doesn't work for non moving files. However, rebooting will trash your swap files which could open up the free space needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.