PDA

View Full Version : old Emac will install programs but wont run them

doublegs
Feb 20, 2010, 01:09 AM
Hi,
I purchased an old Emac 700mhz G4 with OS 10.3.2. from a local school for my kids.
when I install programs EG: a kids game off CD it goes through the install wizard and installs no problem. But when i click on the program Icon to run the game ... it wont run it. It seems like it trys to run it as the icon does one bounce down in the tool bar at the bottom of the screen but then it disappears and nothing happens.
I really want to get it connected to my wireless network for my kids and it has no internal wireless card so I purchased a Netgear WG111V3 Wifi USB adapter. The same thing happened. It installed the program no worries but will not run the setup wizard to get it working???? I click on the icon and same thing happens .. icon bounces once in the toolbar and then nothing??? any ideas???

Bennieboyİ
Feb 20, 2010, 01:56 AM
i know this might seem daft to ask but have you checked that the software is written for a Mac?
do the system specs match?

as for the wireless, most emac's come with a airport card? are you sure there isn't one installed?

jcb10
Feb 20, 2010, 01:58 AM
If you bought it from a school, did you reinstall the operating system? As a former school computer, it probably had some restriction (like the computers at my work and school) against installing new software.

Also, I'm assuming you're installing compatible (i.e., non-Intel only) software.

BlueRevolution
Feb 20, 2010, 02:14 AM
i know this might seem daft to ask but have you checked that the software is written for a Mac?
do the system specs match?

It'd be pretty tough for an install to finish successfully if the installer doesn't run on that platform.

If you bought it from a school, did you reinstall the operating system? As a former school computer, it probably had some restriction (like the computers at my work and school) against installing new software.

That's what I was thinking.

Also, I'm assuming you're installing compatible (i.e., non-Intel only) software.

And software that supports Panther, which is fairly rare these days.

One way or another, I'd suggest upgrading to Tiger. Your system should be able to run it without too much trouble, and most current software still has Tiger support.

doublegs
Feb 20, 2010, 02:53 AM
I dont have the software to reinstall it. I am thinking that it probably does have some form of restrictions. I definitely doesn't have an airport card and the programs are compatible for the 10.3 OS. How much would it cost to buy the upgrade system Tiger ??

BlueRevolution
Feb 20, 2010, 04:04 AM
Apple doesn't sell Tiger anymore, so you'd have to buy it secondhand. I was about to say it would be pretty cheap, but I guess not (http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Operating-Systems-/80258/i.html?_nkw=mac+os+x+tiger&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282). It is a very good idea to have some sort of system restore disk around, though. The Mac OS X disks also contain Disk Utility and some other handy stuff.

Ooch, I just realized that your model (http://support.apple.com/kb/SP74) doesn't have a DVD drive either. That'll be a problem since Tiger was only available on DVD unless you sent in your disks and requested a CD version. That rules out all of the eBay auctions I looked at too, aside from this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Software-Apple-Mac-OS-X-10-4-Tiger-Full-Install-CD-eMac_W0QQitemZ110497108626QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19ba241292#ht_813wt_962).

Alternatively, if you have another Mac, we may be able to jury rig a way to run the installer using the other computer's DVD drive.

On that note, I wonder if I still have my copy around here somewhere. I'd never figured there was much money in selling outdated software...

doublegs
Feb 20, 2010, 05:01 AM
I have another mac, a new Imac with OS X 10.6.2
I cant use the OS discs from the new computer can I ?? I thought the were PC specific as you need to enter serial numbers etc when installing.
I get the feeling I should cut my losses and buy another computer for my kids.

BlueRevolution
Feb 20, 2010, 07:12 AM
Mac OS X doesn't use serial numbers (except the server version), but those disks will only work with that particular model. There are workarounds for that restriction, but Snow Leopard is Intel-only, so it's impossible to install onto a PowerPC Mac. Conversely, there's no way to run the PowerPC Tiger install DVD on the Intel iMac.

I'd try calling the school first. It could be that they have the disks sitting around and neglected to give them to you.

Send me a PM; I may be able to suggest another solution.

doublegs
Feb 20, 2010, 05:52 PM
Hi Blue Revolution

Sorry I am new to this forum thing. What does PM you mean?
I will try the school but don't expect to have my luck .. If I am unable to get the discs is it worth me wasting anymore time and money on this computer ??

BlueRevolution
Feb 20, 2010, 10:57 PM
You have personal messages disabled, so for me to get in contact with you, you'll have to send me a message (http://forums.macrumors.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=38020) first.

doublegs
Feb 20, 2010, 11:50 PM
You have personal messages disabled, so for me to get in contact with you, you'll have to send me a message (http://forums.macrumors.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=38020) first.

I have enabled personal messages.
If I cant get discs do you think I should just scrap the eMAC ?

BlueRevolution
Feb 21, 2010, 01:03 AM
Well, I'm sure somebody will buy it...