Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigelivy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Hi,

I have a bunch of old music that I ripped from the original CD's before I got a mac which is all wma format. Is there a program online that I can use to convert all of this music to mp3?

I've tried "Switch", but it doesn't seem to convert wma. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nigel

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
Hi,

I have a bunch of old music that I ripped from the original CD's before I got a mac which is all wma format. Is there a program online that I can use to convert all of this music to mp3?

I've tried "Switch", but it doesn't seem to convert wma. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nigel

Just as a heads-up: you may not be satisfied with the results even if you find a program you like. MP3 and WMA both throw out some (theoretically inaudible) sound data to achieve higher compression rates, but they use different algorithms to determine which information to dump. Re-encoding an already-compressed file into a different format can result in bad sound quality and even some bizarre audio artifacts.

I know it would be a hassle, but if you still have the old CDs, you would have much better results re-ripping straight from them to MP3.

aviniald

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
If you have Quick Time Pro and Flip4Mac ... you dont need anything else...

Open the .WMA in Quick Time Pro...

Then Click FILE-->Export.

Change it to AIFF format and click export

It should then be playable in iTunes... but if you must go one step further and convert all they way to MP3.... Get switch and use that with no problem (Going from AIFF to MP3)

The third party Audio Converter for Mac did the trick for me too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.