PDA

View Full Version : Looking to find a mac web host/ rent a server

jgbr
Feb 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
I have been looking the internet for two things and wondering if anyone had any tips

I either wanted:

To rent a Mac remotely that i could administer for web hosting

or

Host my website on a mac via a good web hosting companies.

Preferable if in UK but open minded. any suggestions?

hakuryuu
Feb 20, 2010, 01:00 PM
I don't know of any in the uk of course. But http://www.macminicolo.net/ does a lot of hosting and colocation with Mac Minis. And with the Mac Mini Server you have a better option there. But if you want to colocate an xserve or mac mini just search up hosting companies that also offer colocation as you can generally give them just about anything to put in the rack. However there are rather few companies that host exclusively on mac or even make mac a large part of their business as it is such a niche server OS.

For instance the hosting company I do part time work for only has one xserve and it is managed by the guy that pays to have it colocated there. I am the only person at the company with any OS X server experience. Everyone is Linux or Windows.

exabytes18
Feb 20, 2010, 02:02 PM
Probably overkill for what you're looking to do, but Godaddy just started offering OS X servers you could rent.

I forget what other company tried doing that, but they quickly stopped selling the service. Macs are not the server of choice for web hosting (and most other services) and I'd guess the demand for them in such situations is low.

To be honest, Apple's OS X ToS really stifles this area. Virtualization of servers is gaining enormous traction and this isn't a strong point for Apple.

Edit: Godaddy link: http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/mac-hosting.aspx?ci=18037

jgbr
Feb 20, 2010, 02:45 PM
godaddy is virtualized so cop out lol

ChrisA
Feb 20, 2010, 05:21 PM
I'm trying to think if why you'd want to use Mac OS X to serve web pages. Tat is not what Macs are best suited for. My choise would be Solaris, BSD or Linux.