Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
A friend of mine, who has a Tibook 800, dropped it today on the way to work and asked me for help, as his screen is set on the lowest brightness setting. Is there anything that can be done? I tried fiddling with the display settings, and might try a reset just in case.

Is there anything else that I can try?

Thanks

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
sjjordan said:
A friend of mine, who has a Tibook 800, dropped it today on the way to work and asked me for help, as his screen is set on the lowest brightness setting. Is there anything that can be done? I tried fiddling with the display settings, and might try a reset just in case.

Is there anything else that I can try?

Thanks

when you say "dropped," did you mean he dropped off the Ti with you or did he actually "drop" the PB?

it sounds like the backlight died. if resets and display settings/brightness controls don't fix it, i think the light must have died... :(

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
jxyama said:
when you say "dropped," did you mean he dropped off the Ti with you or did he actually "drop" the PB?

it sounds like the backlight died. if resets and display settings/brightness controls don't fix it, i think the light must have died... :(

Sorry, yes he dropped it. I tried a reset and no settings adjustments work. Any idea on how much a new part will cost? Or what's the best option now?

Thanks jxyama!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
yikes...

if the backlight is really dead, then... the best use now is to buy an external monitor and use the PB as a desktop. a replacement monitor (from official sources) could cost almost as much as a new laptop.

should definitely go check with a service guy before giving up hope, though... it could just be some sort of connection instead of the actual backlight bulb going out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.