Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
I think I've heard once about some people saying 6GB is possible but what about the 8GB? Can someone confirm on this please? Thinking of upgrading the Ram and the Harddrive on my Macbook...

Thanks, have a good day.

-Chris-

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
6GB works. 8GB doesn't. It's a firmware issue.

8GB will boot, but it'll kernel panic pretty fast when trying to access higher than 4GB.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
Does anyone know where you can get 6GB of RAM for a MacBook? I've looked everywhere and can't find 3GB sticks of DDR3 at all.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
That's because there aren't any 3GB sticks. You can only go up to 6GB with disparate numbers: one 2GB and one 4GB stick.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
That's because there aren't any 3GB sticks. You can only go up to 6GB with disparate numbers: one 2GB and one 4GB stick.

I don't have a clue why I didn't think of this... it didn't even cross my mind!

Well I feel stupid.......

WhiteShadow

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Washington D.C.
I have the Limited Edition Aluminum MacBook as well. I always heard mismatching Ram was not ideal. Any thoughts? Have any of you tried 6GB? How was the performance?

My next mod is going to be replacing the optical drive with my HDD and adding an SSD, but that is a bit more costly. The ram would be a quick cheap performance enhancer.

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Can a moderator make this a sticky? It seems every other thread is asking if 8gb works in the 5,1 macbook. It does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.