PDA

View Full Version : HP posts Apple iPod + HP television spots

MacBytes
Aug 30, 2004, 11:49 AM
Category: Videos
Link: HP posts Apple iPod + HP television spots (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040830124938)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Aug 30, 2004, 11:51 AM
I think this speaks volumes of the quality of a wmv.

Compare the quality of this online-posted television commercial to one of the silhouette Apple iPod ads in quicktime. The difference in clarity is staggering.

nagromme
Aug 30, 2004, 12:15 PM
But are the file sizes comparable?

iFaulder
Aug 30, 2004, 12:17 PM
there completely dumb.

dfa4
Aug 30, 2004, 12:49 PM
there completely dumb.

I somewhat disagree. The TV spots were actually interesting, not like Apple's, however, because it is far more pragmatic! Nonetheless, I am excited to see how this helps iPod sales. (But does this mean that not only sexy, pretty people in New York City will be sportin white earbuds?

Sharewaredemon
Aug 30, 2004, 01:01 PM
well those movies sure didn't play well on my computer, what gives? You'de think HP would post ads of their new HP iPod in a decent quality, or at leasat a quicktime file.

solvs
Aug 30, 2004, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I saw this earlier. But no Quicktime? What were they thinking? Especially since QT is in iTunes. :rolleyes: And iTunes is what is now installed on HPs and Compaqs. And what you use with your iPod. Of course, you all knew that already. Apparently HP didn't.

To answer your questions, WMV isn't bad for larger files. It shouldn't be, seeing as how it's just Microsoft's version of MP4. But for smaller files, and streaming, it's absolutely deplorable. Just from my experiance trying to watch trailers in anything but QT. Ugh. Almost as bad as RM streams. :eek: Almost.

And the sound is very flat. Very WMA. Can't wait for the more advanced version of H.264 with AAC.

applemacdude
Aug 30, 2004, 01:54 PM
LOL, Hilarious

iMeowbot
Aug 30, 2004, 02:04 PM
But are the file sizes comparable?
HP's ads are streamed at 160Kbps, not really files. For a 30 second spot, that would be about 480KB.

The smallest version of the new iPod ad is 1.2MB for 30 seconds, with a very low frame rate and lots of visible artifacts, and all that with much simpler pictures to encode.

All in all, the Quicktime ad looks a slightly better than the WMV ad, using 2.5 times the bandwidth.

otter-boy
Aug 30, 2004, 04:20 PM
Even if the files had been posted in QT, it's not as if that would have improved the quality of the actual advertisements. If they had been going for a pragmatic statement of the use of iPods, they could have done a better job just by describing the ease of use and power while demonstrating an actual iPod on screen.

I think that they were trying to be hip or cool, but it comes off as if it is some 50 or 60 year old ad executive trying to show how cool it is to 13-30 year olds. The feel doesn't "Mesh." The ads definitely don't match to the coolness factor of the Apple ads. I read that some people believe the hPod will outsell the Apple iPod in stores, but I think it's more likely that this ad will steer people away from the hPod to the iPod (even though they are almost identical products).

painimies
Aug 30, 2004, 07:05 PM
The commercials were not bad. The thing that seemed a bit funny to me was that they had the "invent" slogan under the HP logo at the end of the iPod commercial. IMO There is not much invention involved in resellig something succesful.

polyesterlester
Aug 30, 2004, 08:44 PM
Yeah, the Digital Music commercials aren't bad, but the Digital Photography commercial is excellent. I wish it was an Apple commercial.

Sharewaredemon
Aug 31, 2004, 07:43 PM
Yeah, the Digital Music commercials aren't bad, but the Digital Photography commercial is excellent. I wish it was an Apple commercial.

I agree I was amazed at how increadibly well put together that ad was, i just wish i understood how they get that to work
ads like that make me want to edit more