Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
I want to upgrade my memory to 1 gig. It has the standard 256mb of memory. Do I have to buy the 2x512 chips or can I use two 512mg kits (4x256 - 2 of which are existing)? Also, if I go with 2x512, can I still use the existing 256mb and have 1256mb (1280?) memory?

Does this make sense?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You should have two empty memory slots, you can put a matching pair (2 DIMMs) of anything you like in there.

Which should fill up everything you have.

The next time you upgrade the memory you are going to have to put two DIMMs in the drawer to free up space for your next memory upgrade.

---

So add 512MB or 1024MB of memory to what you have in there now, shouldn't matter right now.

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
Gotcha! Thanks! I made a mistake in what I typed anyways. I said I had two existing 256 chips but I have 2 128s to make the 256mb memory I have now. Thanks!

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
continuum said:
Gotcha! Thanks! I made a mistake in what I typed anyways. I said I had two existing 256 chips but I have 2 128s to make the 256mb memory I have now. Thanks!

Crucial's got a good deal on PC2700 RAM for your G5 (I have the same one). They have a coupon for $10 off on each stick so you should be able to buy a 1GB kit (2x512) for $150.

http://www.crucial.com

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
continuum said:
I just went to the store and bought memory from Crucial. Thanks for the info everyone. 1.25gb now! Yayah!

Awesome! Now your computer will be uncrippled! Enjoy! :)

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
I thought this extra memory would also help prevents system freezes. It doesn't. Froze last night while Expose'ing through some open web pages. Does anyone know if using the "hide dock" option or the desktop background option that rotates through different pictures could contribute to system freezes? I unhid the dock and put a standard desktop background on to see. System does perform better with the extra mem though!

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
continuum said:
I thought this extra memory would also help prevents system freezes. It doesn't. Froze last night while Expose'ing through some open web pages. Does anyone know if using the "hide dock" option or the desktop background option that rotates through different pictures could contribute to system freezes? I unhid the dock and put a standard desktop background on to see. System does perform better with the extra mem though!

I had some freezes when I first upgraded. It went away after I moved the bigger sticks to slots 1 & 2. Also, reseating all 4 sticks probably wasn't a bad idea, in retrospect.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Check to see if the original Apple memory is the Hynix brand, some of those memory sticks didn't play well with other memory.

So removing the original Hynix-brand memory from Apple may work.

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
Keyser - Slots 1 & 2 would be the innermost, correct? If so, I did move the apple memory to 3 & 4 and put the new memory in 1 & 2.

Sun-baked - I had freeze problems before adding the new Crucial memory. I think the factory mem may be Hynix memory...so no real changes in freeze or not to freeze.

My question still remains - would system preferene settings affect anything. Seems like a freeze almost always happens during use of Expose' too.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
continuum said:
Keyser - Slots 1 & 2 would be the innermost, correct? If so, I did move the apple memory to 3 & 4 and put the new memory in 1 & 2.

Sun-baked - I had freeze problems before adding the new Crucial memory. I think the factory mem may be Hynix memory...so no real changes in freeze or not to freeze.

My question still remains - would system preferene settings affect anything. Seems like a freeze almost always happens during use of Expose' too.

hmmm.. I would suggest yanking the Hynix and zapping the PRAM on reboot. Then repair permissions. Can't hurt!

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
Yanking the Hynix completely (not reinstalling)?

How do I "zap" the PRAM on reboot? What is PRAM? New to Mac as of a few months ago. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I'm eager to learn.

I have MacSweeper to repair permissions...is this good software to use?

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
continuum said:

How do I "zap" the PRAM on reboot? What is PRAM? New to Mac as of a few months ago. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I'm eager to learn.

Hold down P + M on reboot. PRAM is RAM stored in a small battery which retains preferences when your comp is off.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
continuum said:

Sorry!

1. Take out the Hynix RAM and put in safe place (preferably static free baggie if you still have it from the Crucial RAM).
2. Zap the PRAM. This involves holding down the P, R, Option, and Apple keys all at the same time when you reboot the computer. Make sure your volume is on. Listen to the start up noise... make sure it bongs three times, and then let go of the keys. You can actually try this before you take out the Hynix RAM, it may fix your problem. PRAM stores info and sometimes it can get corrupted and cause freezes.
3. Repairing permissions. Go to your Apps folder. Go to your Utilities folder. Open up Disk Utility. Click on your hard drive in the left hand column. Repair permissions. This is good to do after installing any software.

Hope that helps. If you need more/better instructions, just shout. :)

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
Thanks guys!

Going to try right now.

Ok... did the PRAM thing and repaired permissions. I didn't know I could repair permissions with disc utility...never looked close enough. should I use this instead of Macsweeper?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.