PDA

View Full Version : multiple display advice for Power Mac G5

tjust
Feb 21, 2010, 05:27 PM
looking for some advice on some old gear...

I am trying to set up a Power Mac G5 (PPC, 2.0 Ghz, model 7,3) for use in a music/theater performance. hopefully i can power a live video/4 monitor setup using Jitter.

does anyone know about simultaneously running multiple ATI Radeon 7000 PCI cards (3 of them)? (or perhaps someone can recommend a better video card?...they are PCI slots...) this in combination with the existing AGP dual monitor output to get to 4 displays.

thanks in advance

travis

rickvanr
Feb 21, 2010, 05:55 PM
I think the Radeon 9200 is the best ATI PCI card out there. I've read that even the original Radeon is better then the Radeon 7000 too.

I'd get something like the ATI X800/850XT or the NVIDIA 6800Ultra which both run dual displays, then maybe two PCI cards.

tjust
Feb 21, 2010, 07:40 PM
thanks for the reply!

i am not running any heavy video processing through these, just some pre-produced QT videos and raw live camera signal (everything SD). i don't know much about these graphics card specs, they seem to be designed for hard-core gaming which would be quite a bit more of a drain i would think...so i wonder if the Radeon 7000 would be enough.

just trying to save a little $$ which would help a lot on the project.

thanks again,

t