Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
My sister has one of the white Macbook's, and it is running so slow lately. I repaired disk permissions, repaired, and checked the activity monitor to see if anything was running that shouldn't be. It's only got 1 gig ram, but it used to run fine with that amount. What else could be the problem?

I'm pretty sure it's an early 2008 model.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP5

halledise

macrumors 68000
My sister has one of the white Macbook's, and it is running so slow lately. I repaired disk permissions, repaired, and checked the activity monitor to see if anything was running that shouldn't be. It's only got 1 gig ram, but it used to run fine with that amount. What else could be the problem?

I'm pretty sure it's an early 2008 model.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP5

1. backup Home folder to external hard disc.
2. reinstall MacOS (just the OS not uncheck all the extras in the customise button) select archive and install - not saving network settings.
3. restart and after reentering your details (not necessary if you have a me.com account) go immediately to SW Update and allow updates to be installed.
4. you have a fast MacBook once more.
5. you may need to import any additional fonts you've installed from Previous System folder

All this is a short and satisfying operation.
When you are totally happy with the way everything's running you can delete 'Previous System' folder - I'd give it a few days before doing this though.

hope this helps a little.
it may seem an extreme remedy but it's the most complete one I know (apart from backing up, erasing HDD totally and rebuilding from scratch)

ps - you could install Snow Leopard if MB is still running 10.5
ps #2 - you could also entertain the purchase of 2x1gb memory sticks but if it was running fine before then it'll be fine again after the above remedy

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
It is running Snow Leopard now. So if she will let me, I'll back up the home folder, then reinstall it.

EDIT: I asked her if it was still slow, she said no, she restarted it, as she hadn't restarted it in 2 months >.<.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
I was running tiger on my imac with 1 gb ram, and it was great, when i upgraded to snow leopard my computer was so slow. Snow leopard requires more ram and my bet is she needs more. I went all the way to 4 gigs, but rarely do i use more then 3 and i've a medium to high user. My sister has a macbook with 2 gigs and she is fine with that, but she uses it mostly for the main apps, not a power user at all. But 1 gig isn't really sufficient for even the common consumer using snow leopard.

Just my 2 cense

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
How is the one gig in the 2008 Macbook's? Just one 1 gig stick? So can I just buy another 1 gig and put it in? Or does it only have one slot?

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
How is the one gig in the 2008 Macbook's? Just one 1 gig stick? So can I just buy another 1 gig and put it in? Or does it only have one slot?

I'm not sure, i'm almost 100% it has 2 spots, but i also think apple fills it with 1/2gb each, so you might have to get 2, 1gb modules to replace both. but they aren't that expensive, it will still set you back 50$

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2x1GB...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266897607&sr=8-3

personaly if she plans on using the macbook for 2+years i would just go all the way to 4gb for an 100$ investment,

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Memo...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266897757&sr=1-6

yours... or her choice

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON

depends on config, there are two slots so if you have 1 gb then you have to 512 sticks, if you have 2 gigs then you have two 1 gig sticks. Either way to upgrade you need to replace both. I have 4 gb in my 2007 and it actually still rns pretty friggin good, cant complain, does video production, photo editing and music with pro apps such as aperture and final cut with pretty good speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.