Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojo2go

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
SE Wisconsin
I've recently asked this at the end of another thread, but received little response, so will repost here...I apologize if it has been asked elsewhere.

We have a two-PC wired network, and my G4 Powerbook is connected wirelessly to this network using Airport Express.

Here is my question: can I get another PC that is not hardwired to the existing PC network to share my Mac's Airport Express network? It has a wireless card already, but would I need to get an Airport card for it instead? -- Or is this just out of the realm of possibility without purchasing more (wireless) hardware? (Our only goal is to share internet access - not to share files or other info.)

When I installed Airport Express on this PC & tried to use the A.Ex. setup assistant, I received the following error message: "Airport Express Assistant has found that Windows is not allowed to manage wireless networks on this computer. This can be a result of having a 3rd party utility that manages wireless networks. For best results, allow windows to manage wireless networks."

Not sure what the heck this means....any insight? :confused:

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002
In the Properties dialog box on your Windows machine, there should be a check box that says "Allow Windows to Manage Wireless Networks." This should be checked ON.

Also if you haven't yet, upgrade to Service Pack 2... the wireless config stuff is VERY MUCH improved.

I run my PB 12" and this PC off my APEx with no problems. I manage it from both the Windows and Mac OS X machines.

mojo2go said:
I've recently asked this at the end of another thread, but received little response, so will repost here...I apologize if it has been asked elsewhere.

We have a two-PC wired network, and my G4 Powerbook is connected wirelessly to this network using Airport Express.

Here is my question: can I get another PC that is not hardwired to the existing PC network to share my Mac's Airport Express network? It has a wireless card already, but would I need to get an Airport card for it instead? -- Or is this just out of the realm of possibility without purchasing more (wireless) hardware? (Our only goal is to share internet access - not to share files or other info.)

When I installed Airport Express on this PC & tried to use the A.Ex. setup assistant, I received the following error message: "Airport Express Assistant has found that Windows is not allowed to manage wireless networks on this computer. This can be a result of having a 3rd party utility that manages wireless networks. For best results, allow windows to manage wireless networks."

Not sure what the heck this means....any insight? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.