Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Hi all,

I just received a borrowed Canon 70-200 F/2.8L IS yesterday and realized that the owner forgot to add the tripod collar. Seeing as the collar is residing in the USA and I´m in Holland its quite a trip for the poor little collar to make by mail.

I figured I´d just buy one here, but those things retail at $150! Crazy for what it is. On ebay there's plenty of knock-offs going for as little at $9. The question is whether I want to rely on a $9 component to support a $2000 lens :confused:

Does anybody have any experience with a knock-off collar?

R1CH4RD 21

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
I use one of these as I also begrudge paying that much for a tripod mount. I have never had any problems with it and it is perfectly stable and secure. Personally I cant see how the genuine one would differ so greatly.

josh1231

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Hi all,

I just received a borrowed Canon 70-200 F/2.8L IS yesterday and realized that the owner forgot to add the tripod collar. Seeing as the collar is residing in the USA and I´m in Holland its quite a trip for the poor little collar to make by mail.

I figured I´d just buy one here, but those things retail at $150! Crazy for what it is. On ebay there's plenty of knock-offs going for as little at $9. The question is whether I want to rely on a $9 component to support a $2000 lens :confused:

Does anybody have any experience with a knock-off collar?

I have the opteka I bought on ebay for the 70-200 F/2.8L lens, and it works perfectly. Can't figure out why anyone would spend $150 for Canons Collar.

It's not really a knock-off, just a different brand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.