PDA

View Full Version : If App is pulled from App Store

MrSoprano
Feb 22, 2010, 01:02 PM
If an App that was sold through the App Store is removed by Apple and there is no longer support for that App am I justified to ask for a refund?

GoCubsGo
Feb 22, 2010, 01:04 PM
I think this has been discussed before but I don't recall. It is a good question.
For me this has happened to a couple of apps. One still works fine whereas the other is completely useless. I sought refund for the one that was rendered useless and was not honored said refund.

I think ethically yes, you should be able to get a refund baring the app is completely useless. If it works the way it has always worked then the app is useable and shouldn't be refunded as I'm sure you're not going to delete it after you get a refund.

MacDawg
Feb 22, 2010, 01:04 PM
Has it been removed from your phone?
If not, I would think you got what you paid for

GoCubsGo
Feb 22, 2010, 01:08 PM
Has it been removed from your phone?
If not, I would think you got what you paid for

I don't think it is that cut and dry.
EzFiles is an app that the dev apparently has decided to abandon or at least not sell or list in the app store (but has mentioned it on their site). I believe that with the knowledge that it will never improve could prompt a refund. However, the app works just as well as it did when it was in the store so I don't think a refund is in order.

I had a lyrics app that I paid 99 for. In one week there was an update then the next week it was gone. The dev said on his site for copyright purposes he was pulling the app voluntarily. I asked for a refund because when he did that he also killed the apps database rendering the app useless. I do not think the intent was to rent this app therefore, a refund is justified.

icedmocha
Feb 22, 2010, 01:16 PM
I have two apps pulled from the app store. Duck hunt and donkey kong. A refund would be nice.

MacDawg
Feb 22, 2010, 01:21 PM
I don't think it is that cut and dry.
EzFiles is an app that the dev apparently has decided to abandon or at least not sell or list in the app store (but has mentioned it on their site). I believe that with the knowledge that it will never improve could prompt a refund. However, the app works just as well as it did when it was in the store so I don't think a refund is in order.

I had a lyrics app that I paid 99 for. In one week there was an update then the next week it was gone. The dev said on his site for copyright purposes he was pulling the app voluntarily. I asked for a refund because when he did that he also killed the apps database rendering the app useless. I do not think the intent was to rent this app therefore, a refund is justified.

I agree with your premise :)
If the App no longer functions as portrayed when you bought it, then yes a refund should be in order

I have two apps pulled from the app store. Duck hunt and donkey kong. A refund would be nice.

Do they no longer work, or is it that they just won't be improved in the future?

AppEzzy
Feb 22, 2010, 03:09 PM
I agree with your premise :)
If the App no longer functions as portrayed when you bought it, then yes a refund should be in order

I think this is the normal justification for any refund in the store, but Apple does seem to grant refund sometimes for no valid reason. I had someone request a refund because they said our App crashed every time when they pulled it up. We tested with the same device he had and there were no bugs, also contacted him to try and get the steps he went through to have it crash with no response.

AndyCodez
Feb 23, 2010, 08:04 AM
Why would you really want a refund for .99? I mean I can understand something 9.99 and over, but I wouldn't even waste my time trying to get .99 back. Time spent trying to recover this trivial amount is not worth the .99 lol.

yg17
Feb 23, 2010, 08:25 AM
If Apple pulls the app then IMO, you are entitled to a refund, since you'll no longer be receiving updates for it due to Apple's actions. If the developer pulls it, too bad, maybe they can refund your money, but not Apple.

akm3
Feb 23, 2010, 08:25 AM
GV Mobile would be an example, in my mind, of an app you should get a refund for. Because Apple pulled it, you couldn't get updates and now it no longer works.

Not the developer fault. Apple's fault.

These situations should trigger automatic refunds and it should be APPLE paying the developer side of the refund, since APPLE decided to pull the app.

However, if it is something that worked as represented and will continue to (a game, for example), you got what you paid for, you should get no refund.

IMHO

MacToddB
Feb 23, 2010, 09:21 AM
GV Mobile would be an example, in my mind, of an app you should get a refund for. Because Apple pulled it, you couldn't get updates and now it no longer works.

Not the developer fault. Apple's fault.

These situations should trigger automatic refunds and it should be APPLE paying the developer side of the refund, since APPLE decided to pull the app.

However, if it is something that worked as represented and will continue to (a game, for example), you got what you paid for, you should get no refund.

IMHO

Since this question is coming right after Apple pulled 5,000+ apps from developers who thought they were following the rules, keep in mind:

1) Apple has the right to issue a refund and take it out of the developer's revenue. This is for 100% of the purchase price. So if an app sells for $0.99, the developer gets paid $0.70 and Apple keeps $0.29. But the contract allows them to 'charge' the developer $0.99 for a refund. Meaning the developer LOSES $0.29 for a refunded app, not just the $0.70 they would have made. Apple doesn't have to charge them the full amount, but they're entitled to.

2) If the app was pulled by Apple, but remains functional, and the developer didn't do anything wrong, do you want to penalize them when you still have a working app?

yg17
Feb 23, 2010, 09:28 AM
Since this question is coming right after Apple pulled 5,000+ apps from developers who thought they were following the rules, keep in mind:

1) Apple has the right to issue a refund and take it out of the developer's revenue. This is for 100% of the purchase price. So if an app sells for $0.99, the developer gets paid $0.70 and Apple keeps $0.29. But the contract allows them to 'charge' the developer $0.99 for a refund. Meaning the developer LOSES $0.29 for a refunded app, not just the $0.70 they would have made. Apple doesn't have to charge them the full amount, but they're entitled to.

2) If the app was pulled by Apple, but remains functional, and the developer didn't do anything wrong, do you want to penalize them when you still have a working app?

If Apple pulls an app, they should issue and pay for the refunds themselves, not the developer.

MacToddB
Feb 23, 2010, 09:42 AM
If Apple pulls an app, they should issue and pay for the refunds themselves, not the developer.

they should do a lot of things. like set such apps aside in their own 17+ category, or give some kind of advance notice. Imagine the rule-abiding developer who spent a small fortune to license images, etc... but that's another topic.

milo
Mar 10, 2011, 11:10 AM
I assume you're talking about Lyrica?

Not only is it pulled, it no longer seems to work at all. Shame, it was a really handy app, I'm definitely asking for a refund.

Any suggestions for a good substitute to Lyrica?