Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
Which version of iMovie to use?

I have a G4 Powerbook with iMovie (can't remember the version number) but it does allow for multiple sound layers.
It also has firewire - which means I can use Mini DV.

My intel macbook (no firewire) has iMovie08 and iMovie09.
I have heard these are not as good as the older iMovie - I haven't actually used either of these apps yet, but the interface seems much simpler than the older one, also seems to have less stuff (transitions, effects, etc)

Is there any reason to use the newer iMovie versions?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I use iMovie 09, simply because it came with my mac and I have never before had an older version of iLife.

09 works fine for what I want to do.

GeraldButton

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
My iMac came with iMovie HD, but I have since upgraded to iMovie '09. I tried to downgrade and use iMovie HD after using versions '08 and '09 but I found myself not being able to use it, it felt so out dated.

iMovie '09 is fantastic, I hope the next update is even better, but as of right now im slowly moving up to Final Cut Express so iMovie gets used less and less.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I cried when I first used iMovie 08, having learned the whole editing thing on iMovies 1 - 06, in spite of the limitations. I dried my eyes, got Final Cut, extracted my digit and moved on.

I simply can't use the new iMovie. I have tried but all that old learning of a wonderful app won't let me use the new one.

I have read testimonies of those who have known nothing but 08 and 09 and they swear by it.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
Well, I enjoyed using the older iMovies.. but think I'll skip 08/09 - and go directly to Final Cut Express.

The ability to add layers of sound is an absolute must.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
I still use iMovie 6HD. Love the time line. Use plugins from gee three. Unless you need multiple audio and video tracks, you will be fine using a G4. Currently trying our aperture 3 video import to see how this would work for quick edits since I usually have photo's incorporated with my video.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I keep trying iMovie9, but keep going back to iMovie6 because of the greater control over audio content, plus I can see at a glance which clips have been incorporated into my movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.