PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 pic

musicpyrite
Aug 31, 2004, 09:58 AM
I couldn't find anything like this in another forum, so here it is:http://nermal.org/misc/mirror/inside_low.jpg
How much do you want to bet that Apple puts a heat shield between those capacitors and the power supply? All that heat give off by the power supply will shorten the capacitors life span.

You can also download the pics here:
http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/imacflat/04imac.html

keysersoze
Aug 31, 2004, 10:06 AM
That's pretty impressive.

I read that the venting works like this: cold air is circulated up through the speaker grills and out the back-top vent. That's pretty cool.

But I sure wouldn't fold on that thing... :)

keysersoze
Aug 31, 2004, 10:11 AM

I read that the venting works like this: cold air is circulated up through the speaker grills and out the back-top vent. That's pretty cool.

Ah/. here's where I saw that. Straight from the Apple site :)

Laslo Panaflex
Aug 31, 2004, 10:12 AM
I love how Apple puts the G5 logo on the CPU heatsink, even though most people will never even see it. I don't really like the look of the new iMac, but it is a great feat of enginering.

ToddW
Aug 31, 2004, 10:31 AM
It looks like there is a lot of components that can be added by the, memory, airport, and hardrive.

It makes it cheaper to buy.

macnemo
Aug 31, 2004, 10:57 AM
One thing bad abt the new iMac all only has Geforce fx5200 64mb...
Fr the pic i dont think it will be easy to upgrade the gfx card but as for ram hdd looks quite easy. wat do u guys think?

keysersoze
Aug 31, 2004, 12:08 PM
One thing bad abt the new iMac all only has Geforce fx5200 64mb...
Fr the pic i dont think it will be easy to upgrade the gfx card but as for ram hdd looks quite easy. wat do u guys think?

Not gonna happen, I'm afraid. Unless someone wants to hack apart their machine to try, I don't think it will be a customer-installable option. I just went on Apple's site... upgrading the vid card isn't even a BTO option. :(

rueyeet
Aug 31, 2004, 12:58 PM
One thing you can say for Apple--their computers look as great on the inside as some others do on the outside. The G5 iMac's nearly as beautifully engineered as the G5 PowerMac.

kaltsasa
Aug 31, 2004, 01:21 PM

Screw that, I'll fold on it 24/7. I'm seriously considering getting one too. My sister has a flowerpot imac that the HD burned up due to heat, Mom put it next to a wood stove and thought 100+ temps were great for computers. Apple replaced it. I buy a computer to do work, not to, well you can't max the cpu constantly or it will die. If it burns up, bad design on apples part and they give me a new Mac ala Applecare. And I expect the same from all major computer manufactures as well.

jsw
Aug 31, 2004, 01:24 PM
One thing you can say for Apple--their computers look as great on the inside as some others do on the outside. The G5 iMac's nearly as beautifully engineered as the G5 PowerMac.
No doubt. It's truly beautiful. Man, I don't need one, but I'm tempted to buy one simply because it's so nice.

jrv3034
Aug 31, 2004, 01:41 PM
Absolutely stunning, both inside and out! Obviously I'm not going to get one now (see my sig) because I do a lot of FCP editing and need all the dual-horsepower I can get, but...

Man, that is a sexy machine!

Can't wait to see it in person.