PDA

View Full Version : waiting on the mac mini

bobgroz
Feb 23, 2010, 11:17 AM
I bought a mac mini over a year ago and loved it, until I realized the dvd design is really poor. There should be a button on the mac mini to EJECT dvd's or cd's that get stuck in there. This happened to me, and I literally had to rip open my mac mini with a screwdriver to get the dvd out.

Not a good design, steve. I'm sure other's have had this happen to them as well. :mad:

Anyway, the mini still works, although the remote control for volume changing does not. I listen to Bible based programming when I go to bed, and have to put the keyboard above my head to change the volume now. All because I couldn't get a DVD out of a drive that has no push button like a normal PC.

That's not innovation,that's just either stupid or arrogance.

Spent hour on the phone with apple care, nobody there could get it out. I voided a 3 year warranty (which I paid for) ripping it open with a screwdriver. Didn't have two weeks to wait for the "genius bar" to fix it. Two weeks to eject a DVD? Come on, apple, you can do better than that.

Anyway, the main thing I want to know about - are the mac mini's coming out with the new lynnfield CPU's from Intel - core i5, core 17 860, etc. These are NOT the full blown high priced core i7 processors from intel. The core i5 sells for less than 200 bucks, and the core 17 860 I believe is 280$

The intel core duo is really old in the teeth. Very old. Moldy old. Has anybody heard of a serious upgrade to the cpu for these machines? I refuse to buy another one with a core duo, don't want 3 year old technology. The core 17 860 is HOT (not thermally, but in demand). It's cheap, it's fast, it's green, and it's the current technology.

I would forgive the dumb DVD buttonless option and buy another one IF THEY'D ONLY UPGRADE THE PROCESSOR WITH CURRENT TECH.

Does anybody know of any plans to get the mac mini into the lynnfield line of intel cpu's?

BTW if you get a DVD stuck in your mini, (it happened to me again), get a blank CD or DVD and press it into the slot to force the eject mechanism to work. You have to wiggle it and play with it, but it will eject. Found that trick on a webpage somewhere.

Again, my main question is processor upgrades for the mac mini. Are they in the future?

Thanks,

Bob

xparaparafreakx
Feb 23, 2010, 11:31 AM
Not an i7 860. That CPU is $280, half the price of a mini already.

Hellhammer
Feb 23, 2010, 11:34 AM
Lynnfield is for desktops and Mini uses laptop components... Arrandale is suitable for Mini, but it's dual-core and tops out at 2.66GHz (3.46GHz with Turbo). I doubt we'll see Nehalems in next generation Mini as Mini is known to be a generation or two behind of other Macs so my guess is late 2010 or early 2011 for Nehalem in Mini.

PrinceAvalon
Feb 23, 2010, 01:47 PM
Lynnfield is for desktops and Mini uses laptop components... Arrandale is suitable for Mini, but it's dual-core and tops out at 2.66GHz (3.46GHz with Turbo). I doubt we'll see Nehalems in next generation Mini as Mini is known to be a generation or two behind of other Macs so my guess is late 2010 or early 2011 for Nehalem in Mini.

Can a Mini even work or work well with a QUAD; wouldn't it generate too much heat?

Granted iMacs have them and they're for all intents and purposes you can say a laptop on a stand since it's not a typical desktop design and they don't cool as nice as Mac Pro's due to case design. But I wonder if a Mini would be able to use a QUAD w/o heat issues...

splitpea
Feb 23, 2010, 01:50 PM
Again, my main question is processor upgrades for the mac mini. Are they in the future?

Of course. Well, unless they discontinue the Mini entirely, but that's a different matter. The real question is how long you'll have to wait for an upgrade, and the answer is most likely at least 4 months, maybe 6; and no guarantee then of quad core.

Hellhammer
Feb 23, 2010, 01:55 PM
Can a Mini even work or work well with a QUAD; wouldn't it generate too much heat?

Granted iMacs have them and they're for all intents and purposes you can say a laptop on a stand since it's not a typical desktop design and they don't cool as nice as Mac Pro's due to case design. But I wonder if a Mini would be able to use a QUAD w/o heat issues...

I've built a 95W quad core PC with desktop ATI 4850 in a 22.2cm x 17.6cm x 27.6cm case with no heat problems so yes, Mini could house a quad core CPU but I doubt Apple is going to use one yet. Mini is still the lowest-end Mac with lowest specs so maybe in 2011-2012 it may get quad core

PrinceAvalon
Feb 23, 2010, 02:03 PM
I've built a 95W quad core PC with desktop ATI 4850 in a 22.2cm x 17.6cm x 27.6cm case with no heat problems so yes, Mini could house a quad core CPU but I doubt Apple is going to use one yet. Mini is still the lowest-end Mac with lowest specs so maybe in 2011-2012 it may get quad core

Neat... I just wasn't sure if it would be an issue or not in a case the size of a Mini.

I've never dealt with the littler boxes myself when I built custom rigs.... always went for the gold as they say...

I'll put it this way the smallest case I've used was about the size of the Mac Pro O_O lol.

Hellhammer
Feb 23, 2010, 02:11 PM
Neat... I just wasn't sure if it would be an issue or not in a case the size of a Mini.

I've never dealt with the littler boxes myself when I built custom rigs.... always went for the gold as they say...

I'll put it this way the smallest case I've used was about the size of the Mac Pro O_O lol.

I work in a computer shop so I build several PCs a day so... Someone wanted the smallest case which could handle quad core CPU and normal size GPU so that's what I built ^^ Building it was pain in my ass though, it was so neat inside and has some troubles with cables etc...

I prefer to microATX myself, small but still great size for normal components for reasonable price

PrinceAvalon
Feb 23, 2010, 02:23 PM
I work in a computer shop so I build several PCs a day so... Someone wanted the smallest case which could handle quad core CPU and normal size GPU so that's what I built ^^ Building it was pain in my ass though, it was so neat inside and has some troubles with cables etc...

I prefer to microATX myself, small but still great size for normal components for reasonable price

Sounds cool.

So have you ever used Windows yourself and something made you switch to Mac or did you grow up on Macs.

Me I actually grew up on both but PCs seemed to be the way to go at the time... but I can't stand Windows OOPS lol.

Currently I'm running Linux to nut deal with the OS and registry anymore. Or fixing it for that matter. Unless it was for a job, just cause I can fix and repair stuff doesn't mean I want to have to deal with Windows issues and fix stuff all the time lol.

Hellhammer
Feb 23, 2010, 02:49 PM
Sounds cool.

So have you ever used Windows yourself and something made you switch to Mac or did you grow up on Macs.

Me I actually grew up on both but PCs seemed to be the way to go at the time... but I can't stand Windows OOPS lol.

Currently I'm running Linux to nut deal with the OS and registry anymore. Or fixing it for that matter. Unless it was for a job, just cause I can fix and repair stuff doesn't mean I want to have to deal with Windows issues and fix stuff all the time lol.

I grew up with Windows and my iMac, which I bought in March was my first Mac. I just dislike Vista so much that I decided to try Mac. I have nothing against Windows 7, more like vice verse! I've tried it dozens of times and it's very stable and fast as well. I like the easiness of Mac though.

I have nothing against PCs but I still prefer Macs over PCs

PrinceAvalon
Feb 23, 2010, 02:59 PM
I grew up with Windows and my iMac, which I bought in March was my first Mac. I just dislike Vista so much that I decided to try Mac. I have nothing against Windows 7, more like vice verse! I've tried it dozens of times and it's very stable and fast as well. I like the easiness of Mac though.

I have nothing against PCs but I still prefer Macs over PCs

Despite, how I worded it I wasn't trying to infer you DO hate PC and Windows or should just wondering?

Personally, I don't actually hate them I just am getting too frustrated with them and want to try the Mac option again; I remember loving the OS and experience way more than Windows but I do like 7 a lot as well lol.....

Badger^2
Feb 23, 2010, 07:26 PM
In 6 months it will get a 2.53 or 2.66 C2Duo.

Popping open a mini to access the inside does NOT void any warranty. And you dont use a screwdriver. I find that part of your story, as well as the 2 week wait time, dubious.

And Apple didnt make your DVD drive, most likely a Sony.

SDub90
Feb 23, 2010, 07:46 PM
In 6 months it will get a 2.53 or 2.66 C2Duo.

Popping open a mini to access the inside does NOT void any warranty. And you dont use a screwdriver. I find that part of your story, as well as the 2 week wait time, dubious.

And Apple didnt make your DVD drive, most likely a Sony.

Unfortunately, the mini isn't user serviceable, so popping it open (as easy as it is) does void the warranty, but they won't know that unless you a) tell them or b) make it really obvious you opened it.

newmancone
Feb 23, 2010, 08:17 PM
you can log into the terminal and eject the cd from the command line as long as the mini will boot:-)

figured this out when I tried to install leopard onto son's mini without having upgraded RAM:-/

works like a charm... I'm surprised that someone at the genius bar didn't tell you when you inquired...

steve2112
Feb 23, 2010, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately, the mini isn't user serviceable, so popping it open (as easy as it is) does void the warranty, but they won't know that unless you a) tell them or b) make it really obvious you opened it.

I think I am going to put these links in a text file and save them, since this pops up quite frequently.

No, opening your Mini does not (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946) void (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1459209) the warranty (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1934770&tstart=0).

There has been no definitive answer from Apple, and it seems to depend on the person working on your computer. The general rule seems to be "if you break something, it voids the warranty." Simply opening it up does not.

Bennieboyİ
Feb 23, 2010, 08:57 PM

and a Mac mini is user serviceable to a point, ram is upgradable, as is the hard drive and superdrive, even the cpu on older models, ;)

try googling for info before guessing

google is thy friend (http://www.google.com) :)

Badger^2
Feb 23, 2010, 11:27 PM
not hard.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac_mini_2009/

Ive cracked a half dozen or so, starting with the G4 models.

tonyburkhart
Feb 24, 2010, 12:41 AM
I bought a mac mini over a year ago and loved it, until I realized the dvd design is really poor. There should be a button on the mac mini to EJECT dvd's or cd's that get stuck in there. This happened to me, and I literally had to rip open my mac mini with a screwdriver to get the dvd out.

Not a good design, steve. I'm sure other's have had this happen to them as well. :mad:

Anyway, the mini still works, although the remote control for volume changing does not. I listen to Bible based programming when I go to bed, and have to put the keyboard above my head to change the volume now. All because I couldn't get a DVD out of a drive that has no push button like a normal PC.

That's not innovation,that's just either stupid or arrogance.

Spent hour on the phone with apple care, nobody there could get it out. I voided a 3 year warranty (which I paid for) ripping it open with a screwdriver. Didn't have two weeks to wait for the "genius bar" to fix it. Two weeks to eject a DVD? Come on, apple, you can do better than that.

BTW if you get a DVD stuck in your mini, (it happened to me again), get a blank CD or DVD and press it into the slot to force the eject mechanism to work. You have to wiggle it and play with it, but it will eject. Found that trick on a webpage somewhere.

Thanks,

Bob

1. Is your statement of poor design only based on the "eject button"? If so there are many other features of the mini design that make it one of the best looking and most efficient operating design, for its size. Also, the footprint is well suited for home theatre applications.

2. You should not have "ripped open" your Mac mini with a screwdriver. That is the improper method and tool. You probably damaged the case. You should use a modified putty knife and a screwdriver, after the case was open to remove screws.

3. This has happened to others, most of whom get it ejected with one of at least 4-6 options, disassembly being the very last.

4. As has been stated, opening the case and removing the CD will not void the warranty. If you break something while you're in there, that will void the warranty.

5. Two weeks? I find that very unreasonable as well. Though, I do find that very unlikely as they should have been able to fix it on site.

Garsun
Feb 24, 2010, 01:30 AM
3. This has happened to others, most of whom get it ejected with one of at least 4-6 options, disassembly being the very last.

One of those options is to hold down the mouse button while you either restart the computer or start it from a powered off condition.

The firmware ejects the CD/DVD before it goes looking for an operating system from which to boot.

This will work unless the disc is physically jammed, in which case a button on the DVD drive would not work either.

SDub90
Feb 24, 2010, 09:06 AM
I think I am going to put these links in a text file and save them, since this pops up quite frequently.

No, opening your Mini does not (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946) void (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1459209) the warranty (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1934770&tstart=0).

There has been no definitive answer from Apple, and it seems to depend on the person working on your computer. The general rule seems to be "if you break something, it voids the warranty." Simply opening it up does not.

I understand that the minis before 2009 were serviceable, but since I bought my mini last year I've asked several times about servicing the mini every time I've gone to the apple store and have called apple. They told me that you cannot upgrade anything in the newer minis because of how the layout has changed. Since they're the ones doing warranty repair and they are telling me that the upgrades void my warranty, I swap out my parts and tell them it was only opened for other repairs.

I'm sharing what apple representatives have told me, not just what I've found on user forums.

steve2112
Feb 24, 2010, 09:54 AM
I understand that the minis before 2009 were serviceable, but since I bought my mini last year I've asked several times about servicing the mini every time I've gone to the apple store and have called apple. They told me that you cannot upgrade anything in the newer minis because of how the layout has changed. Since they're the ones doing warranty repair and they are telling me that the upgrades void my warranty, I swap out my parts and tell them it was only opened for other repairs.

I'm sharing what apple representatives have told me, not just what I've found on user forums.

The truth is there is no definitive answer. Apple hasn't come out and said "This will void your warranty", yet they haven't said "This is ok", either. It really depends on the person doing the work. If they feel like busting you, they can deny the warranty claim. Others aren't as picky about it. In situations like this, I really miss my local retailer. They were a lot more lenient than the Apple store. The Apple store opening here killed their business, though.