PDA

View Full Version : Betty White Edges Closer to 'Saturday Night Live'

mscriv
Feb 23, 2010, 01:05 PM
Online Facebook groups may have failed to remove television personalities such as Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann from the air, but one group appears to have succeeded in returning one beloved actress to television: Betty White just might be hosting "Saturday Night Live."

The Facebook group "Betty White to Host SNL (please?)," launched in late December 2009, now boasts over 425,000 members. It's an online group that is, according to Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello, "this close" to achieving its dream of having White (at least partially) host an upcoming episode of the iconic live sketch comedy show.

There is reasonable concern that White now 88 could face challenges with the hectic pace of the week of preparation leading up to a Saturday taping. It's a frantic event that includes both a full dress rehearsal and a live show, both performed in front of studio audiences.

A clever workaround involves centering White in a show honoring "Women of Comedy," allowing White to share the hosting duties with ex-"SNL" cast members Tina Fey, Molly Shannon, and Amy Poehler. In an email to Ausiello, he confirms that he is "100 percent certain" that "SNL" wants White as the centerpiece for the "Women of Comedy" episode.

If White does co-host "SNL," she would set a record as the oldest host.

Full Story (http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/betty-white-edges-closer-to-saturday-night-live--1006)

How awesome will this be if it happens! :D

ucfgrad93
Feb 23, 2010, 01:10 PM
I've always liked Betty White. I think it would be awesome for her to host SNL.

rdowns
Mar 11, 2010, 10:43 AM
It's official! Special Mother's Day show with former cast members. That should lighten the load for her.

Betty White to Host SNL May 8th (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20350436,00.html)

It's official: Betty White will host NBC's Saturday Night Live on May 8, WNBC News announced Thursday morning.

Besides featuring the Golden Girl, who was the subject of a Facebook campaign to get her the gig, the special Mother's Day episode will also reunite six former female SNL cast members, most of whom happen to be moms: Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Molly Shannon, Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer and Rachel Dratch.

The show's creator-producer, Lorne Michaels, tells USA Today that the Facebook campaign, which kicked in after White's Super Bowl commercial for Snickers, "took on a groundswell. [White as the host] isn't something we would have said no to, [but the campaign] validated that, 'Oh, that'd be fun' It was the outpouring of affection from fans, and we feel the same way."

And while White, 88, has no children of her own except for her golden retriever, Pontiac Michaels justifies her Mother's Day appearance by explaining, "She's the mother of us all in comedy."

ucfgrad93
Mar 11, 2010, 11:28 AM
Can't wait to see this.

MacDawg
Mar 11, 2010, 02:26 PM
Should be a classic :)

rdowns
Mar 11, 2010, 03:22 PM
I really hope they do a MTM skit. Her Sue Ann Nivens character was one of the funniest in the history of TV.

ucfgrad93
Mar 11, 2010, 04:41 PM
I really hope they do a MTM skit. Her Sue Ann Nivens character was one of the funniest in the history of TV.

Agreed, she was just hilarious as Sue Ann.:D

rdowns
May 8, 2010, 07:39 AM
Just a reminder, tonight's the night.

bradl
May 9, 2010, 02:58 AM
Just a reminder, tonight's the night.

Brilliant work.

She's the kind of old bitty that I would go for if I were 60 years older or she were 60 years younger.. Though she completely crushed the clean, innocent sweet loving perception I had of her (My first intro to her was Rose on the Golden Girls). But now.. she's great!

3 words to describe the show: Wizard of Ass. :D

BL.

rdowns
May 9, 2010, 08:30 AM
Best SNL in a long, long time. She did a great job and had me laughing out loud many times. I was impressed that she was in so many skits especially since you had all the returning cast members on too. Betty White is a national treasure.

yg17
May 9, 2010, 08:32 AM
Brilliant work. First time SNL has been great in years.

Although I really think they missed an opportunity with Tina Fey being on there as well. Fey as Palin at a townhall or teabagger protest with Betty White playing the stereotypical racist old white lady you see at those things. That would've been hillarious.

RawBert
May 9, 2010, 10:40 PM
Betty was brilliant!
I loved the line: "Ascertain??? Oh, that was my stripper name."
LMAO :D

BrianMR
May 9, 2010, 10:43 PM
Betty White was showing old-school comedy skillz. She was great.

MyDesktopBroke
May 9, 2010, 10:49 PM
My favorite skit was the Mother's day song.

RRRUUUUAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

dmr727
May 9, 2010, 10:54 PM
Betty White's muffin is delicious!

TheAnswer
May 9, 2010, 11:09 PM
Betty White's muffin is delicious!

Don't eat it all, save some for Colonel Angus.

Tilpots
May 10, 2010, 08:31 AM
Betty White is dirty! I loved it.

What about when she was the knitting Grandma talking about her lesbian grandchild? "Balls." :D:D:D

I about fell out my chair!

MattSepeta
May 10, 2010, 09:44 AM
I really did not like the episode, I actually stopped watching about forty minutes through...

It seemed like they were just running with the same old (pun?) gag all night, the "cute old lady saying dirty things" and the humor was lost on me after the first two skits.

She is an awesome lady, but I feel SNL dropped the ball on this one :o

mscriv
May 11, 2010, 09:14 AM
I laughed a lot. :D

thatdarnfish
May 11, 2010, 09:22 AM
I really did not like the episode, I actually stopped watching about forty minutes through...

It seemed like they were just running with the same old (pun?) gag all night, the "cute old lady saying dirty things" and the humor was lost on me after the first two skits.

She is an awesome lady, but I feel SNL dropped the ball on this one :o

Agreed. I'm disappointed that she stooped to their adolescent level.

gauchogolfer
May 11, 2010, 09:25 AM
If you've seen any of the roasts she's been a part of, you'd know she's plenty adolescent all by herself.

Great show, btw.

ucfgrad93
May 11, 2010, 01:44 PM
It seemed like they were just running with the same old (pun?) gag all night, the "cute old lady saying dirty things"

Yeah, I felt that way a couple of times during the show. Overall, I did enjoy most of it.

obeygiant
May 11, 2010, 02:34 PM
"You know what I'm tired of? BALLS!" - Betty White 2010