PDA

View Full Version : Sell or keep 15" PB for iMac?

hcopp
Aug 31, 2004, 12:07 PM
What should i do? to be honest, i dont really use the portability of my powerbook to its fullest extent. i never take it around campus, the only thing i do use it for is to take home with me on the weekends if i go somewhere. i could sell it for probably around 18-1900 and have a few hundred to spare. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

vraxtus
Aug 31, 2004, 12:08 PM
What should i do? to be honest, i dont really use the portability of my powerbook to its fullest extent. i never take it around campus, the only thing i do use it for is to take home with me on the weekends if i go somewhere. i could sell it for probably around 18-1900 and have a few hundred to spare. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

If you *can* sell it for $1800, sell it. I understand your position fully... I almost never used my laptop in class, and I found its power to be lacking. Get a G5 iMac.

jsw
Aug 31, 2004, 12:12 PM
Sell it! You can carry the new iMac in a bag when you go home. If you never used your PB as a laptop, the iMac is a much better deal.

dotnina
Aug 31, 2004, 12:20 PM
Yes, definetely -- if you want to sell it, go for it. I'd guess it's a good time to be selling a laptop, too, what with students going back to school.

Good luck!

DJY
Aug 31, 2004, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't give up my PB nearly as easily!

Even without leaving my apartment - the benefits of sitting or lying on the couch, sitting at my desk, or over on my dining table... take it to bed... whereever!

I am presently sitting out on my balcony in the sun, with a nice coffee, typing on my PB!
Why again buy an iMac?

Oh yeah I love ADSL, and Airport Express!

ocellnuri
Aug 31, 2004, 09:30 PM
My behavior is just like your's DJY, but that's when I'm at home. For us college students, the dorm rooms offer much less room to roam with a laptop while inside our residence. I can understand why someone would have gotten a laptop for college so they could easily carry it home and back. However, the new iMac looks perfect for the same application, and will give a more powerfull experience with a larger screen. For this particular user, I say go for the iMac.

Personally, my 12" Powerbook goes everywhere I go on campus. I still have a desktop setup in the room, an Intel machine in an Antec case with two 17" LCDs, a 5.1 Channel Logitech sound system, a TV antenna, various cradles for Clie, Karma, Mouse... etc. I can MOST-DEFF see the appeal of an all-in-one such as the iMac just for moving in/out, as breaking down and setting up my desktop can feel like quite a project. Not to mention packing the LCDs so they don't get damaged.

friarbayliff
Aug 31, 2004, 09:33 PM
I'd say if there is no use for your powerbook, then sell it. I, on the other hand, am also one of those people who takes my powerbook everywhere and would absolutely refuse to give it up.

boxerchip
Sep 1, 2004, 12:08 AM
why not sell it and get a dual G5 :) real performance is what you really want... :)

mac4drew
Sep 1, 2004, 04:49 AM
I'd say just wait a little longer for a G5 PowerBook, that's what I'm doing and your computer's much better than mine. It's worth it to hang in there for something that will probably be here in four months. You'll miss the portability when it's gone.

ocellnuri
Sep 1, 2004, 10:14 AM
If 4 months = 1-2 years

For hcopp's uses, a G5 iMac is perfect... Why wait 1-2 years for a G5 Powerbook when it offers him no advantages over a G5 iMac, and will most-deff cost much more?

vraxtus
Sep 1, 2004, 03:07 PM
I'd say just wait a little longer for a G5 PowerBook, that's what I'm doing and your computer's much better than mine. It's worth it to hang in there for something that will probably be here in four months. You'll miss the portability when it's gone.

ROFL

Wait...

ROFL

HAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

4 MONTHS??

LOL LOL LOL

Ok I'm done now. Seriously, you're out of your mind...