PDA

View Full Version : Airport & Linksys router

andypop
Aug 31, 2004, 12:41 PM
Hello.

I'm using a new 12" Powerbook and my home network uses a Linksys .b router.

At first I could see the network, but I couldn't actually use it. Then I read (probably here at macrumors) that if I switch the TX Rates to 1.2 (from 1-2-5.5-11 -default) it would work. ..and it did.

it's slow, but it works, and until I get a new router, I'll have to live with it.

So here's my current problem. When I access my other Mac (or PC) from the powerbook, it takes FOREVER for it to do anything. When I click on 'desktop', it takes a good 3 minutes for the contents to load in the finder.

when I try to drag a file from another computer to my powerbook, it takes about 20 min for a 680k file.

If I have to, I'll buy a different router. I've heard Dlink and Netgear both work well with Macs -- true? Anybody have a non-Airport (can't afford it) suggestion?

thanks!

/apop

vraxtus
Aug 31, 2004, 12:43 PM
Hello.

I'm using a new 12" Powerbook and my home network uses a Linksys .b router.

At first I could see the network, but I couldn't actually use it. Then I read (probably here at macrumors) that if I switch the TX Rates to 1.2 (from 1-2-5.5-11 -default) it would work. ..and it did.

it's slow, but it works, and until I get a new router, I'll have to live with it.

So here's my current problem. When I access my other Mac (or PC) from the powerbook, it takes FOREVER for it to do anything. When I click on 'desktop', it takes a good 3 minutes for the contents to load in the finder.

when I try to drag a file from another computer to my powerbook, it takes about 20 min for a 680k file.

If I have to, I'll buy a different router. I've heard Dlink and Netgear both work well with Macs -- true? Anybody have a non-Airport (can't afford it) suggestion?

thanks!

/apop

Are you using the Wireless B 4-port router? If so I'm using it and I've had very few speed issues with it... other than that the wireless connection drops out occasionally.

As long as both computers are set to use TCP/IP using an automatic DCHP config, you should be able to access either computer without a problem. Sometimes however it doesn't always show up on the network list, in which case I reopen the window, or reselect "Network" from the sidebar.