PDA

View Full Version : iBook clean install of Leopard w/o System Discs

Surely
Feb 23, 2010, 06:08 PM
I'm planning on wiping my iBook G4, installing Leopard on it, and then selling it.

However, I don't have the iBook's system discs because my mother lost them (she was using the iBook until I gave her my MacBook).

I called Apple to get new system discs, and they sent me an OSX 10.5.6 Retail Install DVD to install on the iBook, but this doesn't include iLife.

Obviously it's not the end of the world if I don't include iLife (even if it is iLife 05), but I think it would help me sell the iBook if iLife was included.

Is there any way for me to keep the iLife applications that are currently on the iBook (let's say, store them on my MBP), perform the data wipe and installation, and then bring them back onto the iBook?

Thiol
Feb 23, 2010, 09:38 PM
No, sorry.

Surely
Feb 25, 2010, 12:22 AM
No, sorry.

Really? That sucks. Thanks.

Can anyone else confirm?

I guess I'll have to sell it sans-iLife.......

BlueRevolution
Feb 25, 2010, 03:47 AM
Thiol is right. You could use Migration Assistant to copy iLife from an old backup, but in the process it would copy a lot of other personal data, which would defeat the purpose of the clean install prior to sale. Beyond that, you'd need the original restore disks or a retail copy of iLife in order to install it.

However, if you can get your hands on another PowerPC computer's restore disks, you should be able to install iLife with Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/). Similarly, depending on your jurisdiction, it may be legal to download a copy of the same version from a BitTorrent site since you obviously already own a license associated with the computer.

Either way, you won't be able to include the disks when you sell the computer.

Surely
Feb 25, 2010, 01:51 PM
So I just got off the phone with AppleCare, and they are willing to ship me a copy of iLife '08 for $16.

I am trying to decide whether having iLife on the iBook will make or break the sale of it.

Are my chances of selling the iBook worsened if it doesn't include iLife?

BlueRevolution
Feb 25, 2010, 03:12 PM
I doubt it. If I were to buy your iBook, it would be to supplement my much faster iMac. I don't think most people would be using it as a primary computer, so iLife would be redundant.

However, it might be worth checking the price of iLife on eBay. Could be you'll turn a profit buying the disks from Apple and reselling in the original packaging.